Author Topic: Painted security gates  (Read 747 times)

Offline wv11372

• Resident
Painted security gates
« on: June 07, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
I had a thought that it might look cool if we had artists paint murals on storefront security gates (like the one attached.)
Instead of looking at bad-graffiti-covered gates or plain metal gates, we'd see art.
During the day, then the stores are open, the gates would not be visible.  But at night when the gates are lowered, it would look pretty awesome I think.
One artist per storefront.  Professional artists, college art majors, high school art students, and yes graffiti artists.

What do you guys think?

Offline itsit

• Mayor
Re: Painted security gates
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:07:15 AM »
  I think the idea is great but needs to be well managed. A number of local artists have already been busy with outdoor dining and some of those look terrific. Others not so much. And the question of payment is needed. Artists need to be valued for their work in addition to covering the cost of supplies. But if this is co-ordinated in some way similar to what other communities are doing for their commercial areas to reinvigorate them, I think it would be very welcome. A common theme maybe? Or some unifying thread that would tie 37th Ave together and look inviting.

Offline DijoninJH

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »
This would be an amazing idea, and not just because I am a huge graffiti/street art/muralist fan. There are a number of groups that organize and have rotating arts cover empty walls and security gates.

If you ever walk down Allen Street by Delancy, you will see the area covered with art, which is curated. Same in the east village. In Woodside, there was previously a gallery that had their walls covered with artists (it's been painted over since). Lookup a few people on Instagram that would be great thought partners: @lisaprojectnyc and @eastvillagewalls. Below is a story about the person who runs the East Village Walls.

https://bedfordandbowery.com/2021/04/the-magician-who-makes-art-appear-on-east-village-walls/

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
Bushwick has a lot of this. And it's awesome.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 12:45:57 PM »
I like this idea a lot, but the artists would absolutely need to get paid. I think that Queens Council for the Arts might have a grant for initiatives like this. The NYC Department of Cultural affairs does but a qualifying community based 501(C)3 would need to apply.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
Just wanted to add that the commissioner of the NYC DCA, Gonzalo Casals, lives in Jackson Heights. Maybe someone knows him.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
The city does have a program for this!! Applications due on June 28th. Casals name is on it. But we are not NYCHA though maybe there is some way around it for 37th ave??

https://artbridge.submittable.com/submit/8027db7f-4e5e-4221-b2fa-ed0697fdfc1e/city-artist-corps-bridging-the-divide

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »
Bushwick is very organized. You should organize! You can make a difference. Don't rely on Gonzalo

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »