Author Topic: Hard Wood Floor Refinisher  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Penelope

• Tourist
Hard Wood Floor Refinisher
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
Hi - I'm moving to the neighborhood next month and looking to have the hardwood floors in my apt. refinished before I move in. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable company. Thanks

Offline John Prester

• Activist
  • El Juan Preste - Emperador De Los Absinios
Re: Hard Wood Floor Refinisher
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
I just had mine refinished a month ago, and recommend this guy, Vincent Devaney:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/service-misc/devaney-custom-flooring-001001

My floor looked pretty crappy, it has various "plugs" that the prior owner put all over the floor to cover nails.  I feared that the floor would have to be completely removed, and a new one put in.  But Devaney insisted that the floor was still in good condition, actually still good for another 50 years, and didn't need to be replaced, simply sanded, and re-stained.  He said:  "they don't make wood floors like these nowadays".

The floor was re-stained with a darker color, and has a completely different feel than the prior light color.  It has what my wife and I call a "colonial feel" to it now!

One of the comments on the Apartment Therapy site above mentioned problems with Devaney showing up.  My wife dealt with him exclusively, and to be honest, she did have a few instances where he was late/didn't show up, etc., during the "consultation period".  But overall, we're satisfied with the work done, and the floor is a major improvement compared to what it was before.  Total cost ~ $3500, my apartment is ~ 850 sq. ft.     

Fortunately for me, I was away during the time of the work, and didn't have to deal with the odors from the stain, dust from the power sander, etc.  It's best if you have the work done BEFORE you move in, if at all possible!  My wife left the apartment for a few days and slept at her mother's place, the odor was that bad!
Disco Dandy and Flâneur Extraordinaire

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=391.0

this thread is all about Home Improvement and there are a few other floor guys throughout the thread.  This way you can speak to couple of them and decide.

Prester, I just redid my floors but went with the water based finish and there was no odor at all and it cured in a day.  A couple of years ago I did it like you and did not want to go thru that again. ugh.  I'm glad they did a good job.
First, do no harm.

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »
We had our 800sf apartment done for about $1500 with a dark stain.

www.1800woodfloors.com

Turned out perfect. Our co-op does not allow oil-based stains, so odor was not a problem.
You can schedule with them usually less than a week in advance. So it's great if you want to do this last minute.

John, sorry to hear how much you paid.
-JH_AB

Offline John Prester

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »
John, sorry to hear how much you paid.

No worries.  I'm happy with the work, and it was well worth it!  Cheaper is not always better. 

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
No worries.  I'm happy with the work, and it was well worth it!  Cheaper is not always better. 

It's also possible that you paid for boards to be refilled if they had holes or missing parts etc.  In the past 20 years, I've had my floors done twice: first time with oil based product, second was water based.  The water based was much quicker.  Both times were relatively inexpensive: everything but bedrooms: $600.  My place is 800 sq ft so that's about half the apartment.  I always talk to at least three vendors before I do any work and even then it's a hit or miss. 

At least we're all happy with our outcome.  priceless!
First, do no harm.

Offline John Prester

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
It's also possible that you paid for boards to be refilled if they had holes or missing parts etc.

You obviously know a thing or two about flooring, because that's exactly the case!  The prior owner of my place created a "2nd bedroom" by putting a wall in the living room, and there was an area in the living room where the floor boards were going perpedicular to the rest of the floor.  So the flooring guys removed those and put in new pieces so that the floor boards are all in the proper direction. 

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
You obviously know a thing or two about flooring, because that's exactly the case!  The prior owner of my place created a "2nd bedroom" by putting a wall in the living room, and there was an area in the living room where the floor boards were going perpedicular to the rest of the floor.  So the flooring guys removed those and put in new pieces so that the floor boards are all in the proper direction. 

hey, when it comes to renovating, I've been there and back!   
First, do no harm.

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
We had a small section of our bedroom floor that had to have new boards as well, but the price was only $350. That was about the only thing our first contractor did right, unfortunately.
-JH_AB

Offline blackberry

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
For those who've had their hardwood floors refinished, how bad was the dust? Unfortunately, we didn't have the budget for doing this work when we bought our apartment but our place definitely needs this done. I'm just not eager to have to move all the furniture out of each room when this work is done. Do you think it's also necessary to repaint because we repainted all the rooms and I'm really hoping there isn't that much dirt that repainting would be necessary. Are they usually careful about the baseboards or did any of you have to reinstall these as well? I heard there were companies who have huge vacs that basically suck all the dust out as they sand so there's minimal dust around the apartment. I'm hoping to find someone who'll have that machine even if it costs a little more. We have a 1100 sq and 90% of it needs to be done. The other 10% we need to replace the floor from parquet hardwood tiles to just planks.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
I don't remember the dust being that bad.  I did use paper tape and taped around every closet door so no dust could get in them.  And I did move ALL the furniture to my second bedroom and the basement.  It's a bit of a pain but then it's done and over and the floors look good.  I didn't have to repaint anything either if that helps.
First, do no harm.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »