Author Topic: Helicopter? Sat 4:20-?am  (Read 2887 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Helicopter? Sat 4:20-?am
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
They're really not helping. There they are a fourth time. I wonder if 311 noise complaint would do anything about this?

no offense, but if you don't know what they're doing, how do you know they're really not helping?

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:50 AM »
  I'll call everyone I can think of tomorrow -- please everyone do the same.  Really really awful.

find out if it's EMS/police first!

If this is EMS or a police copter (more likely), your complaints will get you precisely ZERO effect and traction anywhere. save your breath. you'll get sympathy but not much else.

public safety trumps disturbances of the populace no matter how onerous or annoying, and rightly so.
 legal and policy precedents everywhere for this....

(if it is another copter, complain away! screw those guys).

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
Someone on Citizen app said it was NYPD helicopter and they were looking for suspects around 82nd Street; ground patrol was checking rooftops, fire escapes, etc.

Woke me up from a sound sleep around 2am and once I got back to bed after 4am, I had wretched dreams that had me tossing and turning.

Offline dd_nyc

• Tourist
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
Someone on Citizen app said it was NYPD helicopter and they were looking for suspects around 82nd Street; ground patrol was checking rooftops, fire escapes, etc.

Woke me up from a sound sleep around 2am and once I got back to bed after 4am, I had wretched dreams that had me tossing and turning.

Ah is that what it is.

From my experience (and this also answers an earlier question re helping/not helping) they usually have a spotlight beaming down when they're looking for someone.  If this was in the 82nd area I believe I would have seen that.

Offline juleman

• Tourist
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »
Wrote to Danny Dromm (and also said nice things -- I am a fan of his) and got this reply from his office, for what it's worth.  Will try to contact every other local elected official later.  I encourage everyone else to do the same!

Thank you for contacting us (and thanks for your kind words, which I have forwarded to Council Member Dromm.)  I am sorry that you and your family are being kept up at all hours of the night/morning. The CM also hears the pervasive helicopter noise. At this time, we do not know who is flying the helicopters or what their purpose might be.  He is reaching out to the 115th Precinct and the Mayor's office to inquire.  We will keep you updated.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
I was listening to scanner and heard a report of a missing 15 year old.

If they have some type of infrared vision assistance I could see the lack of spotlight, but if there's on the ground officers also canvassing it seems like the spotlight would have been warranted to aide them.

It does seem weird that there's no spotlight in use. Would be nice to hear what Dromm gets from the 115.

Offline gnh_jh

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2015
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
It woke me up too.

If you use the "playback" feature on flightrader24 you can see that it's an NYPD helicopter, tail number N918PD

Offline buzz

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »
they are going to Elmhurst hospital, as my window looks down 80th Street and I can see one hovering over the hospital last night.  There are multiple  copters so the ones over 35th Avenue are queueing to go to the hospital.  Also a few nights back at around four am there were airplanes flying over, I assume this is the military coming in.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
I wonder if it's a delivery of equipment from the state stockpile that Cuomo has been talking about.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
that's a very plausible explanation.

does anyone know if the private helipads arrayed around Manhattan are still operational? i really don't know anyone at the private helicopter trip pay grade, but it would seem like they'd be grounded as non-essential....

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »