Author Topic: Fire breaks out at Bruson Building  (Read 44746 times)

Offline paparinkochan

• Tourist
Re: Fire breaks out at Bruson Building
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
I used to live near the Kaufman Studio in Astoria.
Personally, I miss Applebee's and UNO's happy hour deal and unlimited soup/salad lunch special.
I prefer these chains over Popeye's, Barger King, McDonald and so on.  :-*

Offline European

• Citizen
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
Trader Joe's
Chipotle
TJ Maxx
Large gym with SPIN class!
H&M
Large play house for kids
Anything for kids

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
If the space is large and suitable enough, then I think a gym (e.g. a full-featured Crunch/NYSC) wouldn't be a bad idea. It would satisfy the landlord's desire for a large chain and the neighborhood's for a bigger/better gym.

We already have McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, and Wendy's in the neighborhood. Why do we need another American fast food chain? We have plenty of Mexican, so why a Chipolte? TJMaxx--there's a Famous Brands on Roosevelt, and I think a TJMaxx or Marshalls on Northern in Woodside. Why another? Trader Joes would be cool, but that location seems impractical (as mentioned, the traffic!).

And, please, no Applebees, UNOs, Panera Bread, etc! These are the worst suburban imports we could possibly introduce.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:52:53 AM by jadasie »

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I agree that it's unlikely we can demand much effectively; we can exert moral and political pressure, but it probably wont add up to much - unless.....

I ask again: how have neighborhoods in brownstone Brooklyn resisted some of the rush to chain-ification? There are commercial landlords there who can presumably rent to banks and 7-11s and mcdonalds - those guys money is as good there as it is here - and yet you don't see them in those neighborhoods in anywhere NEAR the density we do here in a nominally historical district.

Why? What mechanisms did they have that we don't?  Community Boards? Local politicians promise of access - or a threat?. Something must work there that doesn't here. We need to know.

It's worth a shot.

Because the neighborhoods in "brownstone brooklyn" wouldn't patronize those places. It's all about what the market will bear. It's also possibly the landlord's view as well depending on the building, whether they live in the neighboorhood maybe.. etc.. Though I doubt that has as much to do with it.

The only way to keep banks and Popeye's out is to speak with dollars and not patronize those places so they go out of business and get replaced by something you want and throw your dollars at it. Money talks.

I hear those places on in the low 70's command ridiculous rents because those guys are open 24hrs a day and make a KILLING from people coming from all over the area to shop for halal and ethnic foods. Those places make mad profits even with the high rent. No theater or bookstore or niche boutique is going to even begin to compete for the rents being asked for.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
If the space is large and suitable enough, then I think a gym (e.g. a full-featured Crunch/NYSC) wouldn't be a bad idea. It would satisfy the landlord's desire for a large chain and the neighborhood's for a bigger/better gym.

If anyone wants to contact NYSC and suggest they consider the space for a new branch, you can fill out this form: https://www.mysportsclubs.com/feedback.htm  You do not need to be a member to submit the form.  Just select NYSC, outer boroughs, and "Real Estate Development" in the drop-down menu under "subject."

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
Because the neighborhoods in "brownstone brooklyn" wouldn't patronize those places. It's all about what the market will bear. It's also possibly the landlord's view as well depending on the building, whether they live in the neighboorhood maybe.. etc.. Though I doubt that has as much to do with it.

I hear those places on in the low 70's command ridiculous rents because those guys are open 24hrs a day and make a KILLING from people coming from all over the area to shop for halal and ethnic foods. Those places make mad profits even with the high rent. No theater or bookstore or niche boutique is going to even begin to compete for the rents being asked for.

This is super important. Go take a look at the Census and Zillow demographics for Carroll Gardens vs. 11372. They're very different demographics ... which is part of what I LIKE about Jackson Heights. It just happens that small local 'artisanal' businesses can only survive in certain circumstances: (1) they own the building, (2) commercial rents are low (as we see in places like Bed-Stuy) or (3) the neighborhood is absolutely full of rich people. As hfm says, the Indian businesses are supported by the fact that they're destination shopping, not neighborhood shopping - people come from 50 miles around to go to them, as anyone standing in the middle of 73rd Street gridlock can tell you.

Offline hagsrus

• Council Member
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Perhaps they should tear it down and build a multi-story parking garage! (Shudder)

I'd really love a local Trader Joe. The ones in Manhattan seem to survive without parking lots but I suppose they pull a lot of "office" trade, which the residential FH branch would lack.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »
by the way, on the gym front--the Blink on Roosevelt is fantastic.  Large, many machines and really affordable.  Not sure how many have joined or checked it out but worthwhile for sure. 

Offline daisy

• Council Member
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
I too would love another gym.  While Blink is a great affordable gym, it is basically the only thing going on in the area so it is very crowded and busy.  It also does not do classes, something I really enjoy.  Astoria actually has a number of big gyms, and most are not chains.  It would be nice if we could have some more of those here.  I also do not get the mentality that every store here must have parking.  All of the big box stores in Manhattan including Trader Joes do just fine without parking.  Foodtown does not have parking either.  Why wouldn't people just walk to the Trader Joe's if it was there, just like they walk to Foodtown and all the other stores?  I suppose the answer is because it's Queens and people drive here.  I don't but I must be in the minority.  I don't care to have more banks and fast food options but money talks and may the bland reign, lol.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
I also do not get the mentality that every store here must have parking.  All of the big box stores in Manhattan including Trader Joes do just fine without parking.  Foodtown does not have parking either.  Why wouldn't people just walk to the Trader Joe's if it was there, just like they walk to Foodtown and all the other stores?  I suppose the answer is because it's Queens and people drive here.  I don't but I must be in the minority.  I don't care to have more banks and fast food options but money talks and may the bland reign, lol.

I think Trader Joe's would do fine in JH without parking, but the problem is that many people would still attempt to drive to get there and cause massive congestion around the store.  We already have that phenomenon going on with the Indian stores  in the area, and I think to add yet another store where people out of the area would come shop (driving) would make for an enormous mess. 

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »
I agree that cultural, film and book stores wouldn't fly - though I can dream.

One thing JH could use is a great pet supply store.   Petco is going into Dante's so that is likely not an option and Petland Discounts is awful.  There are a LOT of pet owners in the area and few places to shop. 

Astoria has some fantastic fruit stores - I would love a great produce store.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2014, 07:29:03 PM »
One thing JH could use is a great pet supply store.   Petco is going into Dante's so that is likely not an option and Petland Discounts is awful.  There are a LOT of pet owners in the area and few places to shop. 

Has anyone tried the little pet store on 35th at 72nd? Is it any good? I remember thinking that's an odd location for a pet store, but it's an odd location for anything. Also, what do you think of Coral Aquarium? That's where we always used to go for stuff for our cats - it's locally owned and has a pretty good selection of food and litter, at least in my experience.

Also, just to play devil's advocate - Subzi Mandi and Apna Bazar have massive quantities of produce, like, so much that it's spilling out into the streets. What's missing that they aren't serving?

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

Has anyone tried the little pet store on 35th at 72nd? Is it any good? I remember thinking that's an odd location for a pet store, but it's an odd location for anything. Also, what do you think of Coral Aquarium? That's where we always used to go for stuff for our cats - it's locally owned and has a pretty good selection of food and litter, at least in my experience.

Also, just to play devil's advocate - Subzi Mandi and Apna Bazar have massive quantities of produce, like, so much that it's spilling out into the streets. What's missing that they aren't serving?

I really like Coral. It's conveniently right next to the train and they have a good selection. You may have to walk around to say, see all the canned cat or dog food options due to it being spread across multiple areas, but it's a good selection of stuff.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
agreed on coral. been going there for 15 plus years, first for cat supplies, now for bunny stuff. the proprietors are incredibly responsive to customers and the overall vibe is much nicer than any national chain i've been to.

and i also agree about our produce places. the one thing i wish we had is a stand alone seafood store. always buy from the fishmonger at the greenmarket, but midweek cravings get strong at times.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
It's a bit of a trek but there is a great fish store at 104/Roosevelt,NW corner in the mini supermarket.
Also I believe the older fish place is at junction/Roos.

I'd like to see a block of French stores, or maybe all Japanese stores. No big company who brings crappy food at higher costs, sends the money to another state, and pays their employees not enough to feed a family.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »