Author Topic: Fire breaks out at Bruson Building  (Read 45148 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Fire breaks out at Bruson Building
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
echoing pretty much everything toque says (although, like i admitted earlier, i like popeyes).

the local catholic church "cluster" (blessed sacrament, our lady of fatima and st. joan of arc) also has a program, which is called Marguerite's Pantry. donations are accepted at Joan of Arc at Saturday evening masses and all morning/early afternoon on Sunday, the first weekend of the month.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
I wasn't able to vote Daniel Dromm into office but I will help move him out unless a Trader Joe's appears in the next 6 months.  Clock is ticking--make it happen, DD.

Where is the parking? Trader Joe's in Queens requires parking. Danny Dromm can't magically make parking appear. If TJs was here, it would consider all of Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst et al to be its coverage area, which means parking. TJs is a destination grocery store, not a neighborhood grocery store.Come up with a business that doesn't want people to drive cars to load up with groceries.

Offline eddie

• Activist
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
I wasn't able to vote Daniel Dromm into office but I will help move him out unless a Trader Joe's appears in the next 6 months.  Clock is ticking--make it happen, DD.

Where is the parking? Trader Joe's in Queens requires parking. Danny Dromm can't magically make parking appear. If TJs was here, it would consider all of Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst et al to be its coverage area, which means parking. TJs is a destination grocery store, not a neighborhood grocery store.Come up with a business that doesn't want people to drive cars to load up with groceries.

agreed... you'd either have a limited amount of people within a small radius buying just a few things that they could carry, or people wanting to drive to an area where there is no parking. Not exactly a good business model for TJ's?

Too many unrealistic "book store" ideas here too... times have changed and those places don't make it anymore.

Chipotle, Applebee's... UNO's... Panera...etc... those are chains that would add something different to the area at least.

Offline wooden_soldier

• Citizen
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »
maybe with a million trains and busses coming through 74th/Roosevelt, customers won't need to drive. And maybe folks can just walk too.  Kind of like how people get to all the other TJ's in Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

I don't fully expect TJs to show up here but id like to daydream of a day I don't have to schlep groceries from Manhattan. 

Offline wooden_soldier

• Citizen
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
 Also I don't quite get the anti-TJ sentiment. Is there something about their Business practices that people find objectionable? Or is it because the shopping experience there is awful? Now I've been to every single Trader Joe's in New York City and One inNew Jersey and I can say the worst one I've been to is the one in Queens. So if people are basing their opinions off of their experience there I can totally understand.

Offline QuentinC

• Resident
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
I'll reply.  It is not Trader Joes per se, although I find nothing interesting personally in there for me to buy.  but large chains drive up rent, making it impossible for independent businesses to thrive, let alone open, and to me they homogenize the culture of a neighborhood.  They reflect NOTHING of the community they exist in, thus, in my mind, erasing the cultural fabric of a neighborhood.  Who owns the store?  Where does the profit go?  Not to the neighborhood.  Does the owner live nearby?  People ask for an independent restaurant, a bar.  can't happen, because the rents are already too high.  I know three people personally who looked into opening a new spot (2 restaurants, one a small bar) in the area, and the numbers just didn't make sense.  Only a large corporation can afford the rents.   Look at 6th avenue and the 20's or the west village in manhattan.  Are these "interesting neighborhoods" now?  look at Williamsburg and what it is becoming.  You said yourself there are already several Trader Joes in the city.  by all means patronize them, but I am always surprised about how many people willingly move into a neighborhood and then want to cherry pick their favorite stores of which there are myriad elsewhere, and plonk them down a half block from their house.  There is tremendous food shopping here, and in Astoria.  Bad vegetables?  There are several greenmarkets on 37th that are good, plus the farmer's market every sunday.  and amazing 24 hour vegetable shops in Astoria as well. 

Why on earth move to Jackson heights if you prefer a Trader Joes?  I know the answer is economics pure and simple. But it is disheartening to watch as the cultural fabric of the city changes into a shopping mall of the same seven stores.  Give me Patel Brothers and Subzi mandi any day.  That's why I moved here.  BUT I am guessing those who want the chains will get them, because the economics, and the culture are pointing that way.

I'll apologize in advance for rubbing anybody the wrong way. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
in defending the long island-ization of williamsburg and the desire to repeat that here, people often say 'new york has always been about change.' that's fair enough, but for hundreds of years, neighborhoods actually changed, they didn't get stepford-ized. the LES went from German to Jewish to Puerto Rican; Five Points went from Irish to Chinese; Sunset Park from Scandinavian to Latin. Nowadays, every neighborhood is required to become the mirror image of every other neighborhood -- four starbucks, two chain bagel places, a buy buy baby, a couple of upscale produce stands that put up fancy displays to triple prices.....there's no discernible difference between williamsburg, the upper west side, the west village, long island city.....it's one monolithic, monochromatic slag.

anything i can do to keep that from happening here, i'll do. it's why i don't go to duane reade unless absolutely necessary. why i've never set foot in the starbucks on 37th (or any starbucks anywhere, for that matter). everyone's entitled to vote with their dollars, and i vote to use mine with the llittle guy.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
maybe with a million trains and busses coming through 74th/Roosevelt, customers won't need to drive. And maybe folks can just walk too.  Kind of like how people get to all the other TJ's in Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

But that is not how the buyers and planners for these chains think of Queens. We are not Manhattan or Brooklyn. Everywhere west of Astoria that I can think of, they rely on large-scale, convenient parking (the garages on Queens Boulevard, if not the built-in parking at places like Queens Place, Shops at Rego and the TJ's on Woodhaven.) And even in Astoria, actual large-chain _grocery stores_ - like the Costco - insist upon parking.

That's because - outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn - these kinds of retailers do not think of themselves as neighborhood stores; they think of themselves as having a multi-neighborhood catchment area, and many of the neighborhoods in their catchment area tend to be car neighborhoods. If you want a store that really serves the neighborhood within walking distance, you'll have to look beyond these national chains and their planning policies and to a real, local business that has an interest in the local population. Or, if you want a chain, you'll have to look at sit-in dining rather than shopping.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »
If a small independent place can't make it due to the rents, perhaps maybe something like a Heartland Brewery that has a bar and halfway decent burgers. Something that won't compete with places like Juju's and E77.

Speaking of.. those guys have seemed to find a way to make it, but then again those places are small. In redesigning Bruson they can carve the whole bottom out for one monolithic entity. Or maybe two.

Offline buzz

• Activist
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
Another supremarket? I doubt it. Heartland Breweries vacated South Street Seaport and would impact the local diners ( plus do we need the rawkus?)   Another halal chicken place, nail salon and .99 cent store is the most likely outcome.  Landlords really don't care about JH Life

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Ideas for the Bruson Building
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »
Some of your ideas have made it into an article on DNA.info

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20141229/jackson-heights/share-your-vision-for-fire-damaged-bruson-building-at-town-hall-meeting

Posters on the forum Jackson Heights Life have proposed a movie theater, a coffeeshop, an extension to Elmhurst Hospital, a community center and more for the vacant offices.

Offline lstromer

• Tourist
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »
I would welcome a Trader Joe's. Part of the issue with the one in Queens is that it shares space with a large Michael's and a furniture store, so that's a lot of shopping that may not have anything to do with TJ. I would also welcome it because Downtown Market is only at one end of the area; is far more expensive than TJ; and TJ offers options not available at any food store in the area, such as certified humanely raised meats. Foodtown only sells chicken that's certified. I moved here from Chicago about 18 months ago, and a TJ that moved into a super-busy area bought the whole building, creating a parking lot on the upper floors. That meant street parking wasn't made worse when they moved in. I would rather not have fast food places like McD's because of the smell. There'd be no way for people who live nearby (and I'd be one of them) to get away from that fryer smell. (At least Chipotle's can't be smelled a half-block away.) If someone wants a good burger, Ricky's Cafe makes good ones, and a local shop might be hurt by a national fast food chain. I would vote for nearly anything that wouldn't hurt the small neighborhood restaurants, which give JH such a neighborhood feel. Just my 2 cents.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
Weighing in belatedly.

It strikes me that one thread that undertows this discussion is that the existing supermarkets, though numerous, are inadequate in terms of service, and selection and quality of goods they offer. The green market and Lemon Farm are terrific,  as are some of the small places we haveand I appreciate Metfoods' efforts, but there is definitely room for improvement in the supermarket scape.

Offline twmeb

• Citizen
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2015, 11:23:40 AM »
Here is an interesting article from today's Daily News:

"Golden opportunity to create a true neighborhood hub for Jackson Heights":

http://nydn.us/1sf4ILv

I particularly like the suggestion of a physical fitness center and a center for language instruction.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
For those of you interested in this, please attend the meeting on the 22nd. Show that the community really cares about what happens to this space.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »