Get Connected > Jackson Heights of Yesteryear

Does anyone remember the 77th Street park in the 60's?

<< < (3/3)

Fdthird:
I was born in Physicians hospital in 1950, lived on 84th Street and Roosevelt Ave till we moved to Bayside in 1969.  Went to Garden School from 1955 to 1967, and we spent a lot of time in the park across 78th Street!  Spent a lot of recesses there and remember being a crossing guard in 5th and 6th grade, and having the crossing from Garden as my post.  Do they still allow kids to climb on Monkey Bars over asphalt? Remember in High School that  Garden Varsity Home Soft Ball games we’re held in the Park. Also remember taking Driver’s Ed and starting and ending driving sessions at the park.  Anyone remember Nick’s Coffee Shop on the north side of Northern Blvd?  A long time ago!!

Hifi:
LOL I have no idea who you, Lynne Brophy are but we have the exact opposite tastes/memories concerning the teachers you named. I had Mrs. Levy in the 4th Grade (I think it was 1961) and she was one of the nicest, kindest teachers I ever had. I had Mr. Jacobowitz  who changed his name to Javits in the beginning of the 5th grade and he was one of the nastiest most miserable vile people I have ever had the misfortune to know. I had forgotten about him till now- thanks for reminding me of a truly evil human being I had forgotten about for over 50 years! Luckily after a few months they transferred part of the class including me to Mrs. Millstein's class. who was so-so. Jacobowirz was such a nasty work of art he tried to get a kid transferred out of the school (I don't remember if he did) because he lived a few blocks out of the district. The rest of your memories I share good thoughts on but that fish store that sold French Fries was not open that long or kids were forbidden to buy French Fries their or something- Maybe my nutso mother whose still living forbade me to go there in one of her insane actions. I have memories of being insane myself of going to the 78 street park in the middle of a freezing winter with ice on the ground & playing basketball on the courts when I was 14 a few times.

Ray1950:
yes I lived in Jackson Heights for manny years, I went to PS 145 in the sixties and allso worked in Toy City in the seventy and went to Newtown  High School. I miss old Jackson Heights it's not the same anymore but I still go back for the Restraunts.
Also I have attached a picture taken in the 70s of the workers from Toy City including myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version