Author Topic: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...  (Read 8342 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Residents Say Homeless Encampment in Queens Is Growing,...
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »
I agree with E Train.

It's all very well for our local politicians to promote themselves. Often on a national stage

But when it comes to dealing with the difficult local issues, issues that are confronting and challenging. And require more than virtue signalling. Then their absence and silence is obvious.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
I agree with E Train.

It's all very well for our local politicians to promote themselves. Often on a national stage

But when it comes to dealing with the difficult local issues, issues that are confronting and challenging. And require more than virtue signalling. Then their absence and silence is obvious.

Exactly. It isn't our job to clear out the stack of drunks on 82nd. Our elected officials should be doing something about this, yet they don't. I've called 311 numerous times about them (the 115 won't do anything) and nothing happens. At this point, this crew isn't an eyesore but a public health hazard.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 07:53:59 AM »
Unfortunately, the situation with the encampment of folks who are drunk under the BQE  on 35th Ave is dangerous.

Walking under that bridge to Woodside is now not possible.

The level of harassment from these plastered individuals is shocking.  And the amount of trash is third world.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
Unfortunately, the situation with the encampment of folks who are drunk under the BQE  on 35th Ave is dangerous.

The level of harassment from these plastered individuals is shocking.  And the amount of trash is third world.

It's quite bad over there and it's only a matter of time before something really terrible happens. Ditto for the situation on 82nd, and near the post office.

I've been finding a lot of needles outside of my building when I leave for work in the morning. A neighbor told me that she saw a junkie nodding off on a lamppost in the middle of the day. It seems that for whatever reason, my block has become a favorite for these people.

There is also the ongoing issue with prostitution on 79th Street and Roosevelt, as well as the problem on 88th. We have illegal basement bars all over the place, attracting any number of assorted degenerates. Bars around here regularly have security guards patting people down (pre-COVID. Now they just have the illegal basement bars where everyone gets in), and not just on Roosevelt. You can see the same thing at a few places on 37th, as well as Northern, and you don't even need to go all the way to Junction either.

So yes, where are our elected officials? What is the community board doing to address these things? How come the 115th does nothing when called, if they even show up? More importantly, why do we accept these things as a community?

At any rate, let's get on to more important things: How do all of you feel about unicycles, stilts and pogo sticks being allowed on 34th Ave? I'm for all three provided that the unicycles are in between 12.45 and 37.87317 inches tall, all of the stilt walkers have mauve pom-pons attached to their stilts and wear a Robin Hood hat, and all pogo sticks must be pink. I am completely against hippity-hops, kangaroo shoes, and people walking with stilts while wearing top hats. I would personally like to see weekly rabbit races on 34th, and a rabbit run installed in Travers Park.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 09:20:37 PM »

It's quite bad over there and it's only a matter of time before something really terrible happens. Ditto for the situation on 82nd, and near the post office.

I've been finding a lot of needles outside of my building when I leave for work in the morning. A neighbor told me that she saw a junkie nodding off on a lamppost in the middle of the day. It seems that for whatever reason, my block has become a favorite for these people.

There is also the ongoing issue with prostitution on 79th Street and Roosevelt, as well as the problem on 88th. We have illegal basement bars all over the place, attracting any number of assorted degenerates. Bars around here regularly have security guards patting people down (pre-COVID. Now they just have the illegal basement bars where everyone gets in), and not just on Roosevelt. You can see the same thing at a few places on 37th, as well as Northern, and you don't even need to go all the way to Junction either.

So yes, where are our elected officials? What is the community board doing to address these things? How come the 115th does nothing when called, if they even show up? More importantly, why do we accept these things as a community?

At any rate, let's get on to more important things: How do all of you feel about unicycles, stilts and pogo sticks being allowed on 34th Ave? I'm for all three provided that the unicycles are in between 12.45 and 37.87317 inches tall, all of the stilt walkers have mauve pom-pons attached to their stilts and wear a Robin Hood hat, and all pogo sticks must be pink. I am completely against hippity-hops, kangaroo shoes, and people walking with stilts while wearing top hats. I would personally like to see weekly rabbit races on 34th, and a rabbit run installed in Travers Park.

Your humor is understood.

I have a feeling that folks are frightened to be called out as anti-immigrant if they complain about the lifestyle problems that have worsened this past COVID year in Jackson Heights.

But there has to be a solution. Perhaps people can donate to some immigration fund, show that receipt...and then be free to be honest about the degradation of lifestyle that is now obvious.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
I have a feeling that folks are frightened to be called out as anti-immigrant if they complain about the lifestyle problems that have worsened this past COVID year in Jackson Heights.

It's not just anti-immigrant, it's anti-poor. The fact is that social services have broken down during the pandemic; shelters have emptied out because people are afraid of getting COVID in congregate shelters; the services which bring people to shelters and hospitals are no longer doing so because they're safer on the streets than getting COVID in congregate settings; etc. None of this can be separated from the pandemic, which is absolutely still ongoing, much as we would like to pretend it's not. There is not a lot that -can be done- for these folks without services that gather groups of people in places, which is still verboten because there is still a pandemic.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2021, 08:52:29 AM »
The hard and sad truth about America is that the streets are not paved with gold. Regardless of how the American Dream is sold.

Has anyone spoken to these folks? What is their story?

Perhaps we need the media involved to truly get to the bottom of why they have ended up drunk and homeless.
As for insanely harassing those who pass...neither poverty nor the pandemic excuses that. Being poor does not pardon aggression.

Trying to guess what led to this situation is difficult.

There's a solution but without all the facts...it is hard to work out.

There are documentary makers and media folks and social workers on this blog.

Perhaps they can inform exactly why there is such a big problem now.

And what these individuals were doing before COVID hit. (Day laborers?)

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2021, 12:38:49 PM »
I still think that if enough of us call and make our voices heard, there will need to be a response. It's easy enough to write off one or two complaints, but we need to be a unified force. I think this includes regular calls/emails to:

1. Elected Officials: Danny Dromm, Catalina Cruz, Jessica Ramos
2. Our community Board (who ironically is based in the building on 82nd street right across from the encampment)
3. The City (311)
4. The 115 (even though they don't bother to do much)
5. The Burger King Building Owner (there's a # to call on the building on a For Rent sign, this may be realtor, but I don't doubt if they start getting a lot of calls, they may take some action)

For the record, I am neither anti immigrant or anti poor. I want a better quality of life for us all - this includes a safe and clean neighborhood and adequate services for the unhoused.

Offline jhlifer

• Activist
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
KGDHP is absolutely right.  As they say on the subway, if you see something, say something.  I have found it much more efficient to make your complaint using the 311 online portal:

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/search/?q=

You can enter the issue in the search box, and then click on the type of complaint.  Follow the directions and enter your complaint. You will likely need the nearest street address.   It is crucial to use 311 because otherwise, our fair city and the NYPD will claim that no complaints were ever made.  If you submit your complaint you are given a number that records the complaint.  The city will/may finally respond to issues when there are too many complaints for them to ignore.

Also, call your elected officials, or email them.  It is your right to hold them accountable.  Don't wait for someone else to do it.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2021, 08:21:07 PM »
As both an immigrant and someone who grew up poor (I experienced food insecurity before it was a thing), I'm not sure how being concerned for the safety of our community is anti-immigrant or anti-poor. As Alphabet person commented, being poor or being an immigrant does not excuse aggressive behavior, nor does it excuse a number of other issues that have been ongoing problems in the neighborhood long before the pandemic. I doubt that the pile on 82nd Street, or the collection on 35th Ave. were living their best lives before all of this.

We need to stop using the pandemic as an excuse. It's just an easy way to explain away problems that we don't want to deal with. I'm not saying that the pandemic didn't exacerbate certain problems (it did), but to use it as a catch all explanation in simply intellectually lazy at best. Ditto writing things off as anti-whatever.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2021, 04:15:27 AM »
As both an immigrant and someone who grew up poor (I experienced food insecurity before it was a thing), I'm not sure how being concerned for the safety of our community is anti-immigrant or anti-poor. As Alphabet person commented, being poor or being an immigrant does not excuse aggressive behavior, nor does it excuse a number of other issues that have been ongoing problems in the neighborhood long before the pandemic. I doubt that the pile on 82nd Street, or the collection on 35th Ave. were living their best lives before all of this.

We need to stop using the pandemic as an excuse. It's just an easy way to explain away problems that we don't want to deal with. I'm not saying that the pandemic didn't exacerbate certain problems (it did), but to use it as a catch all explanation in simply intellectually lazy at best. Ditto writing things off as anti-whatever.

Agreed. And it's not about "homeless" either. It's mental health and drugs

Offline jhlifer

• Activist
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
ClydeM, thank you for a thoughtful, informed, and accurate  take on the issues facing our neighborhood (and our city and country as well).  We can and should no longer look the other way, or make excuses for both our current situation, and the problems that preceded the pandemic.  We have to make our voices heard since, unfortunately, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  That is what 311 and our elected officials are for.  Perhaps you should run for office!

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »
KGDHP is absolutely right.  As they say on the subway, if you see something, say something. 

I really appreciate that so much! No one on this board ever says that!!! :)

For more context, the property manager is Flushing Kent Realty. Their number is 718.353.8368. I left a VM and will report back on my conversation with them. I encourage any and all with concerns to call during their 9-5 biz hours.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »