Author Topic: children in masks NYC  (Read 2960 times)

Offline jh35

• Council Member
Re: children in masks NYC
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
that is a great article from Vice, thanks for sharing.  It's terribly sad and tragic, however it sort of proves my point.  If you or your children can not walk down the street maskless without crippling fear, then unfortunately you have created a very real negative brain change, mainly anxiety.  If you continue to see everyone in the neighborhood draped in ppp, the harder it will be to correct course. 
Look, I posted about this because I care deeply about the mental health of the neighborhood myself and my children live in.  Based on what i see, i'm gravely concerned, so I spoke up.  I'm not trying to pick fights or be an asshole, I truly think the best may forward for everyone's mental health is to see more people maskless. 

that 10% number is garbage https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html
There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

A little confirmation bias https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/kids-masks-outdoors-cdc/618856/
Continuing to expose kids to unnecessary fear has to end. Kids need to reconnect with their friends and practice reengaging in regular life. They need playgrounds and playdates, recess and recreation, sports and socialization. They can have this and see one another’s faces, taking in the full range of expression. Engaging with their peers and discharging pent-up stress can help prevent PTSD and pave the way for improved health and well-being.

Headache

Offline palomita

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2021, 12:34:59 PM »
that is a great article from Vice, thanks for sharing.  It's terribly sad and tragic, however it sort of proves my point.  If you or your children can not walk down the street maskless without crippling fear, then unfortunately you have created a very real negative brain change, mainly anxiety.  If you continue to see everyone in the neighborhood draped in ppp, the harder it will be to correct course. 
Look, I posted about this because I care deeply about the mental health of the neighborhood myself and my children live in.  Based on what i see, i'm gravely concerned, so I spoke up.  I'm not trying to pick fights or be an asshole, I truly think the best may forward for everyone's mental health is to see more people maskless. 

While I appreciate that your intentions are good and you are not trying to be a jerk, please think about what you are saying. Telling people to move on from a traumatic experience in a way that makes you feel comfortable is problematic. You don't tell someone they've "grieved long enough" or had "enough time to move on" after a loss, and if you do, well you ARE an asshole (your word) even if you don't mean to be.

I am vaccinated, my young kids have had covid, and we still wear masks when we are outside and around others. We feel it is a sign of respect for our community which has been through a lot, we don't want our older or unvaccinated or otherwise vulnerable neighbors to have to wonder why we don't have them on. There is some serious projecting going on to say it's because we are "crippled by fear." My kids are happy, well-adjusted, and understand that this is a temporary thing we are doing to be able to see friends and do activities they love.

Look, I am a doctor have professional training in public health as well. There are individual behaviors that primarily harm the individual, like smoking or eating junk food. There are individual behaviors that have a real risk of harming others and thus should be regulated, things like driving drunk, having unsecured guns in your home, or not wearing a mask during a pandemic. And then there are individual behaviors that you might find weird or stupid but they don't hurt anybody, so you just let people live their lives and do what makes them happy, things like washing pre-washed lettuce. You've tried hard to argue that wearing a mask falls into the 1st or 2nd category, but it doesn't, it's the last one. I'm quite sure it will be easier just to explain this to your kids than it will be to convince our neighborhood to get over their pandemic trauma on your schedule.

Offline 80JHer

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »
Howard A. Zucker, MD, JD
New York State Commissioner of Health

"If there is any data or science that you are aware of that contradicts moving forward with this approach,
please let me know as soon as possible. We plan to make this guidance effective on Monday June 7."

HINT.....there isn't any

masks optional ..... rejoice!

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2021-06/Letter_from_NYSDOH.pdf

Offline petegart

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »
In other countries around the world (yes -not the USA) if someone has already had covid they are not required to get the vaccine.  So if you look at the % of population that has already had Covid plus the % that are fully vaccinated - it stands to reason that nobody has to wear a mask.  I am left of Bernie Sanders & AOC, but it is time to move on. 
I received my vaccine and because I trust science I believe I will be safe going forward. 
It seems like 90% of people in JH are wearing masks outside on the street for no real reason.
My hope is that schools open up 100% the day after Labor Day.  100% in person teaching. 
Once that happens most things can go back to pre-pandemic normal..

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »