Author Topic: children in masks NYC  (Read 2991 times)

Offline JHResident

• Council Member
Re: children in masks NYC
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:11:53 PM »
If anyone wants medical data on children and COVID-19, the American Academy of Pediatrics has cumulative totals from 43 states, NYC and Guam in a PDF printout of a presentation at https://downloads.aap.org/AAP/PDF/AAP%20and%20CHA%20-%20Children%20and%20COVID-19%20State%20Data%20Report%204.15.21%20FINAL.pdf

NYS doesn't provide age statistics for COVID to the data aggregators, but NYC totals are included.  279 Between 5 and 10 children have died from COVID-19 in the reporting states and territories.

The WHO's recommendations for children to wear masks are as follows:
Children aged 5 years and under should not be required to wear masks. This is based on the safety and overall interest of the child and the capacity to appropriately use a mask with minimal assistance.

WHO and UNICEF advise that the decision to use masks for children aged 6-11 should be based on the following factors:
  • Whether there is widespread transmission in the area where the child resides
  • The ability of the child to safely and appropriately use a mask
  • Access to masks, as well as laundering and replacement of masks in certain settings (such as schools and childcare services)
  • Adequate adult supervision and instructions to the child on how to put on, take off and safely wear masks
  • Potential impact of wearing a mask on learning and psychosocial development, in consultation with teachers, parents/caregivers and/or medical providers
  • Specific settings and interactions the child has with other people who are at high risk of developing serious illness, such as the elderly and those with other underlying health conditions
WHO and UNICEF advise that children aged 12 and over should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee at least a 1-metre distance from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.

Offline DijoninJH

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 10:33:27 AM »
This posting just makes me think of this Simpsons episode: https://youtu.be/phSxxVJCZsc

Offline palomita

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 11:18:28 PM »
Oh, I had not realized the science around face masks was settled, the website says they are safe, got it!

Ever read James Nestor, Breathe?  The nose is for breathing the mouth is for eating.  The problem is masks make you mouth breath, mouth breathing is devastating to your health.   So these children K-2nd grade go 30 hours a week with a 20 minute lunch break.  Then they are usually good for about another 10 hours during  the week at the park.   So 40 plus hours in a mask.  how many hours do you put in?  How many breaks do you get?  We are asking these children to take on a serious burden, they do it because they are obedient.   I strongly disagree with you both above, the long term affect of these could be catastrophic.  Recently released from Stanford .....

“ Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Even junk science should make some sense. The article cited is from one Baruch Vainshelboim, who identifies himself as a clinical exercise physiologist, with a degree from University of Porto in Portugal. It is published in  "Medical Hypotheses", which is a journal dedicated to publishing "radical, speculative and non-mainstream scientific ideas." It is, in short, nonsense that would have gotten no notice had it not been picked up by the anti-science Trumpian far right. No reputable public health expert or physician has supported the preposterous claims made by "Dr" Vainshelboim about the supposedly deadly dangers of face masks. Keep using them and keep your kids safe. The new variants spreading in NYC are far more contagious than the old one, and even if they don't kill you they can mess up your life, or that of your child, for a long time to come.

Stanford is officially disavowing this article and it turns out the author hasn’t even been affiliated with the Palo Alto VA since 2016! They are rightly embarrassed people are associating this w them...

https://twitter.com/stanfordmed/status/1384957123864444930?s=21

Offline 80JHer

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
What a difference 2 weeks make!  I just wanted kids to take the damn things off outside, now it seems like we can all go maskless outside!!!  Rejoice, science! 

Great update today from the CDC
https://www.wyff4.com/article/cdc-loosens-new-mask-guidance/36266371#

Offline palomita

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »
What a difference 2 weeks make!  I just wanted kids to take the damn things off outside, now it seems like we can all go maskless outside!!!  Rejoice, science! 

To clarify, the CDC update says fully vaccinated adults in small groups can go maskless outside.  Now that all state-run vaccine sites are accepting walk-ins for everyone 16+, hopefully this will soon approach "all" adults.  But unvaccinated people (necessarily including those under 16 since they can't be vaccinated yet) are still advised to continue masking both indoors and out, and even vaccinated people in large outdoor gatherings are advised to continue masking.

Offline JHResident

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 02:30:12 PM »
now it seems like we can all go maskless outside!!!  Rejoice, science! 

I don't think you're representing the guidance accurately. When your children are fully vaccinated, you can tell them to take their masks off when outside. That might be some time in the fall. I believe they are going to request emergency authorization for children in the 12 to 16 age group sooner.

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »

I for one am thrilled that the common sense has prevailed. And I can’t wait for the inevitable glares to come my way as I walk down 34th Ave maskless. I’ll just make sure to tell everyone to “trust the science!”

Offline Bill

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 08:49:51 AM »
Seemed like 90 percent of the people walking on 34th Ave. today were wearing masks. Please be tolerant of them for not being so quick to "trust the science"-- a once-size-fits-all CDC recommendation covering everything from Wyoming to the sidewalks of NYC -- a lot of them are basing their behavior on the lived experience of seeing loved-ones and neighbors die from the pandemic.

Offline 80JHer

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »
50% of adults over 18 are FULLY vaccinated in JH
estimates 30% of community has antibodies
case postivity rate in NYC yesterday was 1.2%

This is all FANTASTIC news and should amplified x1000 across media (paper & social)

Why is almost everyone still in masks, what is happening?  The community is clearly going against recommendations of the CDC, we are acting like its April of 2020. 

I worry we are creating a dangerous brain changes, by continuing to pretend everyone is sick and outdoor transmission is a thing. 

Offline DijoninJH

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »
What I worry about are people who feel the need to make a post on a community discussion board, about their neighbors who just survived a pandemic, in one of the most heavily hit areas, who choose to keep up their caution at this point.

Don't wear your mask outside. That's your choice at this point, since yes CDC has updated their recommendation.

Those of us who are choosing to keep the practice a bit longer does not equate to "creating a dangerous brain change" (scientific term) for society.

Offline palomita

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
What I worry about are people who feel the need to make a post on a community discussion board, about their neighbors who just survived a pandemic, in one of the most heavily hit areas, who choose to keep up their caution at this point.

Don't wear your mask outside. That's your choice at this point, since yes CDC has updated their recommendation.

Those of us who are choosing to keep the practice a bit longer does not equate to "creating a dangerous brain change" (scientific term) for society.

Thank you Dijon. Honestly I don't know why I keep bothering to respond here because I feel like 80JHer is just trolling at this point, but you are so right, why do they care so much whether other people continue to feel it is a sign of respect for others? Or it if gives them a sense of security after the awfulness of this past year?

This "masks cause brain damage" argument is really mind-boggling to me. 80JHer, do you truly believe all the doctors, nurses, and other health care workers who have been working in N95s throughout the pandemic are now brain damaged from all this mask wearing? Who do you intend to get your medical care from in the future? I guess you can ask a never-masked rando off the street take your appendix out since their brain is more intact than these hypoxic, hypercarbic, CO2-poisoned doctors, but that seems unwise.

The one thing we do agree on is that the vaccination rates and infection rates are great news. Keep it up JH!!

Offline palomita

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 10:07:02 AM »
For anyone genuinely wishing to understand and empathize with people hesitating to give up masking and other pandemic behaviors, this is a good article:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yye8/pandemic-safety-mask-lockdown-cant-quit-grief-trauma-anxiety

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:43 AM »
For anyone genuinely wishing to understand and empathize with people hesitating to give up masking and other pandemic behaviors, this is a good article:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yye8/pandemic-safety-mask-lockdown-cant-quit-grief-trauma-anxiety

That's an absolutely terrific article.

Offline JHResident

• Council Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 07:48:16 AM »
pretend everyone is sick and outdoor transmission is a thing.
We don't really know whether outdoor transmission occurs. Due to resistance to the Test and Trace Corps efforts, there is limited information about the source of infections in New York City. I have seen estimates that 10% of infections were from outside, but there is no hard evidence either way. It is clear that vaccinated people can still get infected, so unvaccinated people should continue to be careful. Wearing a mask is a social courtesy to others, so those who are socially responsible may still want to be considerate of their neighbors. Also instead of telling others to take off their masks and trust the science, you may want to urge them to get vaccinated.

Offline 80JHer

• Activist
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
that is a great article from Vice, thanks for sharing.  It's terribly sad and tragic, however it sort of proves my point.  If you or your children can not walk down the street maskless without crippling fear, then unfortunately you have created a very real negative brain change, mainly anxiety.  If you continue to see everyone in the neighborhood draped in ppp, the harder it will be to correct course. 
Look, I posted about this because I care deeply about the mental health of the neighborhood myself and my children live in.  Based on what i see, i'm gravely concerned, so I spoke up.  I'm not trying to pick fights or be an asshole, I truly think the best may forward for everyone's mental health is to see more people maskless. 

that 10% number is garbage https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html
There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

A little confirmation bias https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/kids-masks-outdoors-cdc/618856/
Continuing to expose kids to unnecessary fear has to end. Kids need to reconnect with their friends and practice reengaging in regular life. They need playgrounds and playdates, recess and recreation, sports and socialization. They can have this and see one another’s faces, taking in the full range of expression. Engaging with their peers and discharging pent-up stress can help prevent PTSD and pave the way for improved health and well-being.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »