Author Topic: Super low voter turnout for this Mayoral race  (Read 731 times)

Offline itsit

• Mayor
Super low voter turnout for this Mayoral race
« on: June 21, 2021, 07:59:46 AM »
Please people, be heard in this important race for our future. YOU COUNT + YOUR VOTE COUNTS!

It's sad that we are seeing so few early voters participate in this years Mayoral election primary
even though we've been inundated with ad, gigantic postcards and numerous visits. At the same
time that voter suppression is taking place in other parts of the US, we are experiencing a kind of
voter apathy here. I hope that people find the time tomorrow to get out there and exercise
their right to vote! And give suggestions on how we can do this smarter next time.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Super low voter turnout for this Mayoral race
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:37:03 AM »
it is baffling. my mom instilled the importance of always voting early on. i can count on one hand the number of elections i've skipped since my first vote many years ago. but what can we do, other than adopt the Australian model of fining people for not voting?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
My Australian friend explained to me that there is nowhere near as much voting in Australia as here in the USA.
Australians only have to vote for leader of the country and leader of the state. (Otherwise they get fined)
Voting for mayor is not obligated for Australians. Plus they don't have primaries. The candidate is chosen by the political party.

Not for mayor and all the positions and all the primaries etc, etc that we here in the USA vote for.

The USA really is based on a voting Democratic system, far more than other countries.
It appears we vote for positions every few months.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:12:41 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:31:15 PM »
 Yes, the Australian model* is something to look at but so is the concept of runoff elections which happen fairly often here. Then a very small percentage of voters is the entire democratic voice which tends to skew white and older - not exactly representative of the entire electorate.
Here's hoping that the ranked choice voting changes that and encourages more voters to participate in this ye olde democracy.

* another favorite imported rule could be the Greek one where the gun owner is also incarcerated if their gun is used in a crime by another person. Far fewer guns in Greece.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »
One positive effect of a low voter turn out is that you certainly feel that your vote does count.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »