Get Connected > Neighborhood Chat

children in masks NYC

(1/7) > >>

80JHer:
So when can we relax the mask rules for kids here in NYC?  2/3 of the health organizations (UNICEF & WHO) recommend no masks ever for kids 5 and younger, kids 6-11 shouldn't wear them either except if there are around someone at high risk.  So now that most adults are vaccinated, or have had the chance.  What are we waiting for?  When can the community start to relax the rules a bit? 

For whats its worth, i not even talking about inside, I just mean walking the streets and the playgrounds.  let see some faces again. 

If you leave the NYC metro area, its like a whole new smiling world...

palomita:
The answer, unfortunately, is that it's way too soon.  There is emerging evidence that some of the new variants, like B.1.1.7, are a lot more transmissible among kids in school and other congregate settings and some variants may be associated with vaccine breakthrough cases. (https://khn.org/morning-breakout/kids-play-huge-role-in-spreading-b-1-1-7-variant-osterholm-says/)

What we are waiting for is more data on variants and for a larger proportion of our population to be vaccinated.  We have made it so far and I know we are tired, but this is not the time to start relaxing on the proven core-4 measures (masking, social distancing, hand washing, stay home when feeling sick).

There's no rush.

Reverse_Seared:
Over time, mask guidance has evolved, but one concern has always been that frequently touching masks negates the benefits and can even increase exposure to germs (dirty hands touch dirty faces and then other people or surfaces and so on). The younger the child, the more likely they are to fiddle with their masks (and they’re unlikely to be infected or contagious anyway).

But realistically, given what the community has been through, their typical political leanings, and the trust placed in Dr. Fauci, I don’t expect any change until Fauci makes a call. And that will be based on some mixture of science, public health intuition, and politicking. I would guess it doesn’t change until 2022 but would love for things to move faster in alignment with mass vaccination.

80JHer:
I am not talking about indoor congregate settings like school, I'm talking about walking on the sidewalks and running in the playground outside. 

Again 2 out of 3 health org's  (WHO & UNICEF) do not recommend anyone exercises with a mask on, BJSM just today came out with cloth masks lead to 29% decrease in VO2max.  Outdoor transmission is something like 1 out of every 1000 cases.   Yet its okay for my child to spend 2 hours running in a wet dirty mask?

forget for a second  the psychological harm of not seeing human faces, or the developmental delays without seeing mouths and word form. I want to know what are the physical dangers we are doing to our children, if we are going against other health org's recommendation.  Let them breath. lets take these masks off out kids.  the vulnerable our protected, most adults are vaccinated. 

Matt:

--- Quote from: 80JHer on April 14, 2021, 07:00:32 PM ---I am not talking about indoor congregate settings like school, I'm talking about walking on the sidewalks and running in the playground outside. 

Again 2 out of 3 health org's  (WHO & UNICEF) do not recommend anyone exercises with a mask on, BJSM just today came out with cloth masks lead to 29% decrease in VO2max.  Outdoor transmission is something like 1 out of every 1000 cases.   Yet its okay for my child to spend 2 hours running in a wet dirty mask?

forget for a second  the psychological harm of not seeing human faces, or the developmental delays without seeing mouths and word form. I want to know what are the physical dangers we are doing to our children, if we are going against other health org's recommendation.  Let them breath. lets take these masks off out kids.  the vulnerable our protected, most adults are vaccinated.

--- End quote ---

I agree with palomita. It is too soon. Most adults are not yet vaccinated - as of yesterday morning only 28% of NYC residents are fully vaccinated and 43% have received one dose.

Source:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-vaccines.page

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version