Get Connected > Real Estate & Home Improvement

71-17 Roosevelt will be LIC-style "luxury rental"

(1/13) > >>

toddg:
New York YIMBY breaks the news that permits have been files for a new 15-story residential tower at 71-17 Roosevelt Avenue, next to the CSX tracks and currently the site of a church.  It will include 139 apartments, and unfortunately, far too much parking for a site so close to transit.

Brownstoner Queens highlights this project alongside the White Castle project discussed on another thread

jh_coop_buyer:
I guess this building would be the tallest high-rise in the vast area consisting of Astoria (some high rise buildings along the east river excluded), Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, East Elmhurst, Corona (Lefrak city buildings excluded).

Considering the current tallest building in the neighbourhood is the Birchwood house (about 8-9 stories), and most other buildings are at most six stories.  How does the zoning law work for this building?  Are we expecting more high rise buildings in Jackson Heights/Woodside/Elmhurst, like what takes place in  Long Island City, Astoria near the east river, or Flushing downtown?

Miss Chatelaine:

--- Quote from: jh_coop_buyer on December 02, 2014, 12:32:37 PM ---I guess this building would be the tallest high-rise in the vast area consisting of Astoria (some high rise buildings along the east river excluded), Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, East Elmhurst, Corona (Lefrak city buildings excluded).

Considering the current tallest building in the neighbourhood is the Birchwood house (about 8-9 stories), and most other buildings are at most six stories.  How does the zoning law work for this building?  Are we expecting more high rise buildings in Jackson Heights/Woodside/Elmhurst, like what takes place in  Long Island City, Astoria near the east river, or Flushing downtown?

--- End quote ---

According to the zoning map, that area is zoned "R6," which allows residential buildings up to 13 stories. I am far from an expert on interpreting zoning regulations, but I think there are all sorts of exceptions that can be made to build larger such as including "community space," which I think includes "medical offices." R6 buildings are required to include a lot of off-street parking. Hopefully someone who understands the regulations better will interpret further, but it seems like there's very limited street-front access there for a building that size.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/zone/zh_r6.shtml

area zoning map: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/zone/map9d.pdf

theplanesland:

--- Quote from: toddg on December 02, 2014, 11:08:43 AM ---New York YIMBY breaks the news that permits have been files for a new 15-story residential tower at 71-17 Roosevelt Avenue, next to the CSX tracks and currently the site of a church.  It will include 139 apartments, and unfortunately, far too much parking for a site so close to transit.

--- End quote ---

Well, is it resident-only parking or public paid parking? Because if it's a paid parking lot, we REALLY need that. Have you stood at the corner of 37th and 73rd on a weekend night and looked at the plates? Jersey, Jersey, Jersey, Jersey, Connecticut. Those people aren't taking the train, they're gridlocking our neighborhood as they drive around slowly for 25 minutes looking for street spaces.

dssjh:
it overlooks the BQE and prostitutes from many continents. that alone should sell it to wannabe frontiersmen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version