Author Topic: Downtown Natural Market  (Read 21301 times)

Offline redge

• Activist
Re: Downtown Natural Market
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »
I really want to try to summarize this.

As I've said before, I'm using this store to buy milk, orange juice and yogurt.

But otherwise, I'm quite stunned.

This is the first time in my life that I've been to a grocery store that takes the position that when I buy meat, fruit or vegetables sold by weight, I'm not entitled to know the price until I get to the cash register.

The audacity is striking, and can only be based on the premise that the customers either don't care about cost or are complete idiots.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:33:28 PM by redge »

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »
JH Health Store has never sold fresh meat before.  It's quite possible that they just don't know what they're doing at this point, although it is their resposibility to find out.  But in their defense, I don't think they're intentionally trying to rip people off. I can't see in their heads, but I've known the owner for years and he seems to care about his customers. The system does seem strange though, and they need to work it out, otherwise they won't be selling much meat. It makes sense that people don't want to be at the cash register when they find out how much their portion of meat is going to cost them.

I buy my meat from the travers greenmarket. When we go upstate for the weekend, I buy direct from a farmer. It is remarkably cheaper that way.

Downtown Market has a facebook page. I suggest that people direct their critisms/observations/suggestions there, as a an easier way to voice their concerns to the owners

https://www.facebook.com/Downtownnatural#!/Downtownnatural?hc_location=timeline

It's for the Brooklyn location but they also include posts about the JH location.

fyi: the reason they are holding onto to smaller store is because their lease isn't up yet. they planned on moving a lot sooner but they ended up being forced to renew the lease on the first store so there wouldn't be a donut hole when they were open.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Hi Ed,

I will only buy meat from a reputable butcher who can tell me how old the meat is or, if it's deliberately aged, the aging process and time. As you know, there are grocery stores, including Fairway, that have butchers on staff who can supply this kind of information.

In the last few years, the meat industry has successfully lobbied the USDA to significantly increase the shelf life of certain meats. Now, a whole chicken can have a sell buy date that is about 10 days from packaging. In concert with this, some processors and grocery stores are putting meat out for sale with no packaging date. This is done deliberately and is intended to hide that date from the consumer.

I accept that this meat is safe to eat. That is not the same as saying that it is good to eat. I certainly will not pay a premium price for a chicken that may have been sitting in a cooler for seven to ten days. As a practical matter, that may not be a huge issue at Fairway, which has very high turnover, but it is a real issue in a small store for which the sale of meat is a minor sideline.

I buy my meat from Ottomanelli and Sons in the West Village. I pay premium prices there, but I'm also dealing with professionals and I know exactly what I'm getting. I can't think of a reason why I would pay premium prices to a store that doesn't have a butcher on staff, won't say when the meat was packaged, and won't tell me the weight of the meat I'm buying, meaning that I'm apparently not supposed to know the price until I get to the checkout counter.

By the way, they are pulling this same pricing stunt in the fruit and vegetable section. There isn't a weigh scale in sight.

While your post gives me a lot of information I will personally find useful, it doesn't address anything I asked.

At any rate, i live here too, we've been enjoying the steaks and ground beef from Sawkill Farms but as far as chicken we haven't found anything that matches what we get from Grazing Angus Acres. That's a little spendy. As I said earlier, I haven't found any of the farmers at either Union Square or at Travers who do boneless, skinless so I appreciate the convenience of being able to buy  them organic within a few minutes walk of where I live. Even though that apparently is absolute proof that I'm a "complete idiot".

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »
careful, Ed...

you may soon be handed a vitamin C and told to go play in the snow.

after all, your comments may be seen as the product of a "psychotic imagination."

8)

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. 

redge was recently accused of having a personal vendetta against someone, although in my observation, he was just voicing an opinion, and trying to contribute. I've been at the receiving end of similar accusations for posts I've made, so i can understand why he (or she) lashed back.  I think he (or she) was trying to participate in the dialogue, and basically, someone tried to just shut him down because they disagreed.

I'm not trying to speak for them, but I think I get how they felt.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
"I'm not trying to speak for them, but I think I get how they felt."

I mean "him" or "her", sorry I'm a little migrainey at the moment.

Offline redge

• Activist
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi Ed,

I will only buy meat from a reputable butcher who can tell me how old the meat is or, if it's deliberately aged, the aging process and time. As you know, there are grocery stores, including Fairway, that have butchers on staff who can supply this kind of information.

In the last few years, the meat industry has successfully lobbied the USDA to significantly increase the shelf life of certain meats. Now, a whole chicken can have a sell buy date that is about 10 days from packaging. In concert with this, some processors and grocery stores are putting meat out for sale with no packaging date. This is done deliberately and is intended to hide that date from the consumer.

I accept that this meat is safe to eat. That is not the same as saying that it is good to eat. I certainly will not pay a premium price for a chicken that may have been sitting in a cooler for seven to ten days. As a practical matter, that may not be a huge issue at Fairway, which has very high turnover, but it is a real issue in a small store for which the sale of meat is a minor sideline.

I buy my meat from Ottomanelli and Sons in the West Village. I pay premium prices there, but I'm also dealing with professionals and I know exactly what I'm getting. I can't think of a reason why I would pay premium prices to a store that doesn't have a butcher on staff, won't say when the meat was packaged, and won't tell me the weight of the meat I'm buying, meaning that I'm apparently not supposed to know the price until I get to the checkout counter.

By the way, they are pulling this same pricing stunt in the fruit and vegetable section. There isn't a weigh scale in sight.

While your post gives me a lot of information I will personally find useful, it doesn't address anything I asked.

At any rate, i live here too, we've been enjoying the steaks and ground beef from Sawkill Farms but as far as chicken we haven't found anything that matches what we get from Grazing Angus Acres. That's a little spendy. As I said earlier, I haven't found any of the farmers at either Union Square or at Travers who do boneless, skinless so I appreciate the convenience of being able to buy  them organic within a few minutes walk of where I live. Even though that apparently is absolute proof that I'm a "complete idiot".

First, I've been at this store every day for the last five days during which time they have not offered boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Secondly, I not only responded to your question, but did so in considerable detail.

Thirdly, your suggestion that I called you a "complete idiot" means either that English is not your native language or that you made a deliberate decision to distort what I said.

At this point, it's clear that there is a party line on this site.

I'm outa here. Enjoy your enclosed, self-referential loop.

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
bye bye.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »