Author Topic: Downtown Natural Market  (Read 21302 times)

Offline European

• Citizen
Re: Downtown Natural Market
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »

Their cashier told me the new store would be open this Thursday.

Looking forward! I hope it will save me some trips to Trader Joe's every other day!

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
Will definitely be checking out on Thursday.

The Yelp reviews seem to indicate:

Extremely expensive
Very small produce section, frequently bad & moldy (fine since there's a million options in JH for that plus Greenmarket)
Sparse meats and cheese section
Good for organic eggs, milk, grains, beans, nuts, herbal teas
Good, affordable prepared foods section (may grab lunch there from time to time since I work from home)
Juice bar (creative profit center to gouge ppl :))
Friendly staff, but make it difficult for you to do returns

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »

It got reviews before the doors opened?

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
Very excited about the opening with or without blocked windows.  I am hoping for a better produce section and some prepared foods.

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »

It got reviews before the doors opened?

From the other Downtown Natural Market in Brooklyn.

Offline daisy

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »
They are open today.  It's well stocked and very nice.  There's a greeter at the door handing out booklets  of manufacturer's coupons for certain products.  They do have a lot more produce than before and in general a lot more organic/natural food items.  Not so much in the meat department but they do have some good sausage choices.   I will say it's pricey.  But not unlike many other organic health food stores in terms of price.  They also do have sale items.  I can't shop there all the time but for certain items that are hard to find in most stores here, it's pretty great.

I don't love the freezers against the windows either but perhaps the decor will change with time since there are those who are willing and able to work with the owner to make some decorative enhancements.

Offline toque198

• Activist
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
I'm a bit confused.

Is this a new merchant to the area or a relocation of the store next to the pizza place.

Both stores were open for business today.

Can Jackson Heights support 2 of these stores?  Especially so close to each other?

Pricey is an understatement.  A lot of mdse isn't marked but 2 items I noticed and remembered :  Organic 2% milk $6.99 ($4.79 FoodTown);  Couscous $10.69 ($7.99 Foodtown).  Same brands, same sizes.

Store seems to have good selection of canned and packaged organic foods.

Wish them the best.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 06:54:18 AM »
They will eventually close the location near the pizza place.

Offline European

• Citizen
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
I won't buy my milk and eggs there, that's for sure!

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
After shopping there yesterday, I'd have to that the quoted yelp review in no way describes the store in our neighborhood. Between this store and our farmer's market, I'm not going to have to schlep bags of (organic) groceries from Manhattan any more.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »

I am very impressed by the size of the store, huge for a natural/organic market, as well as nicely organized.
Resembles markets I have been in, in Brooklyn and the prices are more or less what they would be in Brooklyn natural markets.  It's simply another great addition to our 'hood ! 2014 ( Arunee Thai, Addictive Wine Boutique) is certainly looking up for JH:)

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
Yes. It's a great addition to the neighborhood. I do wish for a  bit more expansive produce section , but I'm NOT at all complaining.    It will save me the trip to wholefoods to get basic organic fruits and veggies. I hope this sparks other quality retail from opening in the area. I'm so so tired of schlepping out of Jackson Heights when I need this kind of stuff. Happy to patronize them...and the windows look pretty good to me. The whole place is open and airy!! Job well done.

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
Visited both the new and old stores on Saturday and spoke to the people working there.  First off the produce really looks good at the new story, nice wide aisles, and more good things to come - the bulk will be moving over at some point and other items - oddly some of the items I buy at the old store hadn't made it to the new store yet, but they are planning to keep the old store open for about a year, and move items over.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline moxybyproxy

• Citizen
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
Will the much larger layout mean they will now stop following people around when they shop?  I've only shopped at the old store once and that was enough to creep me out and I never returned.  Please let me know what your experience has been like in the new store.  I may actually give the new store a chance if they've stopped their uber-surveillance.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »