Author Topic: Downtown Natural Market  (Read 22760 times)

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
Re: Downtown Natural Market
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »
Even if you buy fresh produce at Trade Fair or Met/Foodtown and it intially looks ok, it goes south really fast. If you buy fresh food in other neighborhoods with better stores (and I'm not talking Whole Foods) you will experience what I mean. Thsi is because the buyers for Trade Fair are picking out lower grade stock from Hunts Point.

I am glad that people have been able to find what they want in other places but we should be able to get decent food right here. I work long hours and weekends and I do not have the time or inclination to go to Astoria. I am praying that things are on a upswing, and I am optimistic that they are.

People in JH, are not demanding. We should have higher expectations, we're all paying taxes, both income and retai.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
i agree about the produce at the supermarkets. i've had some luck at the larger south asian markets -- patel more than subzi mandi -- and the one that used to be called Pacific (at 75th and broadway) for veggies, but not fruit.

but other than the farmer's market, i find myself using Growing Farm on 37/76. they're open until eight, i believe. very good quality stuff, decent prices.....

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
Why the new name Downtown Natural Market?  Seems so generic.

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
Yeah, I typically use some combination of the green market, Growing Farm and Lemon Tree. Growing Farm is pretty cheap, usually leave with a full bag for under $10.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
Walked by last night, they're stocking the shelves!

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
I know there is a discussion on another thread about this, and I hope the backs of the refrigeration units are not what we will have as window display -which is how it looks right now.  That would be a missed opportunity for a positive addition to the neighborhood.

Offline HAMjacksonheights

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
Hi
Any word if this store is open yet?

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
I walked by at about 7 this evening, paper still up on the windows.

Offline HAMjacksonheights

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
Ahh thanks for checking

Offline JackM

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
Maybe they'll cover the windows with something (posters?) so we don't see the back of machinery.  They haven't opened yet so we'll see. 

Offline Hummingbird

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:30 AM »
Agree fresher produce and some good prepared foods would make me spend my money there rather than always schlep to Fairway or Trader Joes's.  I work at home and how nice it would be to be able to pick up a healthy wrap, sandwich or salad right in the neighborhood.

I agree and I feel that it's possible for them to do that. I was in a very small health food store in Long Island City recently and they had some really great, fresh wraps. http://www.yelp.com/biz/paris-health-new-direction-long-island-city-3

Also, I have been stopping frequently at another health market in Astoria and they have an excellent selection of hot food, salad bar, sandwiches, wraps, etc. http://www.yelp.com/biz/vitality-and-health-natural-market-astoria

Vitality is wonderful. I was there today and was floored by all the variety offered there. And the hot bar smelled heavenly. Some produce is considerably cheaper there: I saw plum tomatoes for 0.99/lb. (in great condition, as opposed to the approx. $1.50/lb. for much less quality), and some seasonal produce.

Another market I'm a fan of in Astoria is Greenbay Market. The organic produce is at great, affordable prices. They also serve food, along with vegan desserts. They've recently expanded the store's offerings by including imported cheeses (you know I'm a fan of those! ;)).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/greenbay-market-astoria

Offline Hummingbird

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »
I hope they are nicer in this location. I am never comfortable in the other store, people following me, help is rude or don't understand. Someone told me this was the owners son who has other locations in Brooklyn. The rent must be astronomical.

I second this. I get hounded big time when I'm there, to the point of irritation. Every step you take, you drag behind you an employee who is tied to you like a ball and chain.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »
Maybe they'll cover the windows with something (posters?) so we don't see the back of machinery.  They haven't opened yet so we'll see.
Their cashier told me the new store would be open this Thursday.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Idea: suggest that the owner have a mural painted on the offending windows (with removable paint of course) by local school children of a JH evocative image

Offline Hummingbird

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
Their cashier told me the new store would be open this Thursday.

Woo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »