Author Topic: Downtown Natural Market  (Read 21277 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Downtown Natural Market
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
The awnings for the new health food store are up!  I guess the move must be imminent.  This is on 37th Ave between 84th and 85th St.  It appears from the number of awnings that the store will be taking up the entire commercial space that faces 37th Ave. (Sorry about the dark photo.)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Downtown Natural Market
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
nice. this is, of course, the new iteration of the health food place across the street, which i love. looking forward to seeing the new space!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
nice. this is, of course, the new iteration of the health food place across the street, which i love. looking forward to seeing the new space!

Yes, it's much larger than their current space, and larger than I expected it to be.  I had actually thought there would be two stores filling that amount of space, and that the health store would be one of them.

Offline 83Street

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
Looking good! I wish them luck in this new space. I peeked through the window last week and it seems like there was still a bit of finishing to do before it's fit for occupancy. But it seems it's almost there.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
The owner said they should be there by the end of the year

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:03 AM »
I hope they are nicer in this location. I am never comfortable in the other store, people following me, help is rude or don't understand. Someone told me this was the owners son who has other locations in Brooklyn. The rent must be astronomical.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
I hope they are nicer in this location. I am never comfortable in the other store, people following me, help is rude or don't understand.
Certainly hasn't been my experience.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
Wow. The space is really big and the awning (I know.... at this point.... it has become almost a fetish for me) is normal and within landmark guidelines. No multi colored neon lights. I had heard that they will carry organic produce. Is this going to be a health food supermarket? I'm excited.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:05:32 AM »
There are a few other locations with the same name and similar awnings in Brooklyn.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/downtown-natural-market-brooklyn-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/downtown-natural-market-brooklyn

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:14 AM »
I've been going to this store since it was in it's previous  location a few doors down from where it is now. They do follow you around and the prices can be steep on some items that you can get much cheaper in supermarkets. I am excited though (especially if I don't feel like schlepping to TJ's or whole foods). The owner is also very receptive in ordering specific products. He has even ordered me cases of items!!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 08:09:30 PM »
seconding everything bella said. the clerks do seem to shadow customers, but I always looked at it as doting, not creepy. and the owner is super helpful. I buy my produce at the farmer's market, but if they can bring in organic/non-factory farmed items not native to this area, wonderful!

Offline jhteacher

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
My only request is better, fresher produce.  I spent $7 on organic apples once there and came home.  They were all rotten.  Didn't have the time to go back and return them.  Also, if they could keep the prices reasonable, that would be great too.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
Agree fresher produce and some good prepared foods would make me spend my money there rather than always schlep to Fairway or Trader Joes's.  I work at home and how nice it would be to be able to pick up a healthy wrap, sandwich or salad right in the neighborhood.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
Agree fresher produce and some good prepared foods would make me spend my money there rather than always schlep to Fairway or Trader Joes's.  I work at home and how nice it would be to be able to pick up a healthy wrap, sandwich or salad right in the neighborhood.

I agree and I feel that it's possible for them to do that. I was in a very small health food store in Long Island City recently and they had some really great, fresh wraps. http://www.yelp.com/biz/paris-health-new-direction-long-island-city-3

Also, I have been stopping frequently at another health market in Astoria and they have an excellent selection of hot food, salad bar, sandwiches, wraps, etc. http://www.yelp.com/biz/vitality-and-health-natural-market-astoria

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
I really don't have a problem with the selection of produce we have in the neighborhood. I would like better prepare foods somewhere, the stuff at Trade Fair and Foodtown is pretty funky.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »