Author Topic: Met Food becoming Food Town  (Read 7364 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Met Food becoming Food Town
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »
shopping in Met Food over the weekend, i noticed that the store brand White Rose items were all listed as "30 percent off, while supplies last," and supplies of most were largely gone. i was concerned that the store might be having issues, but restocking of other stuff was going on as usual, so i asked one of the cashiers if they were planning to change distributors, and she replied in the affirmative, saying "they're changing the name of the store, too, to food town." it seems as if the managers will remain in place, which i appreciate, since i think they mostly do a good job there.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
Re: Met Food becoming Food Town
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
that store is the best in the neighborhood but it has a long, long way to go to be good. Of course, no one wants anyone to lose their jobs so I'm glad to hear that at least the managers won't. Met is better than Trade Fair by far, which is the banana republic of grocery stores, in terms of their service, stock and the way they treat their employees. (I'm speaking about 90 street)

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
Maybe they'll get rid of the facade lighting that makes it look like a bad Miami nightclub circa 1996.

(Hey, a man can dream...)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
I'm disappointed by this. I always appreciated Met Foods, it was a solid supermarket. I guess any renewal is usually good, but I don't think I've ever been impressed by a Food Town.

Offline jh_coop_buyer

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
I'm disappointed by this. I always appreciated Met Foods, it was a solid supermarket. I guess any renewal is usually good, but I don't think I've ever been impressed by a Food Town.

I agree with you. The foodtown in Sunnyside was planned to close (http://sunnysidepost.com/2012/03/27/foodtown-on-greenpoint-likely-to-close/). When I was living there several years ago, nobody wanted to go to the foodtown as the price was too expensive and the selection was too limited and the vegetables/fruits were not fresh (due to limited customers).

I'm hoping the change of Metfood is just rebranding (i.e., with the same kind of managements and food selection as before), not a takeover. We'll see what will happen when the change actually takes place.

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »
i don't care if they call it the Supermarket of Oz, as long as it improves. I don't need it to be a Food Emporium, just well organized and well stocked.  The produce section is OK, and yes I want more organic. My husband had kidney cancer and in this day and age, produce not sprayed with pesticides shuld not be limited to the upper classes. And yes, those disco lights are ridiculous, it makes it look like "Romaticos" not a supermarket.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
I've been wondering why their bread seems different  :'( so upsetting... I loved their cheap semolina!!!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
oh no, their bread is gone/?????? I forgot about that, they had the Best hero bread. Damnnnn

Offline JudgeSudie

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »

I just moved to JH from Bellerose, where our Met became a Foodtown several months ago. They kept the employees, but there was less of a selection, especially in the deli section. The old store had lots of imported goods from Italy, the new one is more white bread.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
i tend to prefer met stores in general, though this one has never been big on imports.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »
I have always like the Met Food on 43rd Ave in Sunnyside.  It's got a very small footprint but it's well kept and they have a nice selection of products.  Wish whoever owns that one would open one just like it here.

Offline theprimetime

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
Just came home from shopping at Met foods/ Foodtown.  The items I had enjoyed for years are gone and my bill was a third higher than usual.  Such a shame.  Does anyone know of a better (good products at reasonable prices) supermarket in Jackson Heights?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
prices are exactly the same, selection much, much worse. giving it a few weeks before i give up on the place.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
I think all of us regulars here on the JHL group know that when a first-time poster trashes a local business, it's to be taken with a dash of skepticism. I did my weekly shopping at MetFood/Foodtown on Saturday, buying all my regular staples, and my final bill was exactly what I expected it to be.

Just came home from shopping at Met foods/ Foodtown.  The items I had enjoyed for years are gone and my bill was a third higher than usual.  Such a shame.  Does anyone know of a better (good products at reasonable prices) supermarket in Jackson Heights?

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
well theprimetime will think twice about voicing an opinion now that he/she has been told that their opinion is dubious and amounts to "trash(ing)" Jackson Heights.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »