Author Topic: Terraza 7 Cafe  (Read 14113 times)

Offline Dafernal

• Tourist
Re: Save Terraza 7
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
The owner says that the available places are three or four times the current rent. It could be the current rent is really low, consider the following:

The lease probably goes back to 2002
The building, a shopping center, has long struggled with low vacancy

I agree the skyrocketing commercial rents are a huge problem for small businesses. Terraza 7 must be saved through action, not by headline grabbing, viral claims.

The closest comparison to Terraza 7 is Espresso 77, a place that recently expanded. Why should Terraza 7 not survive in our community?

Offline Paul11372

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
Any chance the old Armondos space in the Brunson bldg is available? The corner space would be great for them.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
The NIMBYs in this community would have a field day with anything near 37th:

"Music (could disturb my pwecious sleep!), booze (gosh! think of the children!), hispanics and their culture (oh my!)."

...and that's before you look at the responses typically thrown at anything new bar-like from the muslim population around 74th St.

If he's to find anything affordable at all with any chance of opening, I fear Northern or close by there is where he'll have to go.

I hope he succeeds  because Terraza 7 is pretty much the only **world-class** non-food destination we have in this neighborhood. PERIOD. (Can you think of ANY another  non-food public venue that you would say "Come to jackson heights for this"?). There is simply very little like it across anywhere in NYC, and the breadth of music he gets is AMAZING.... the covers reasonable.... and the community-involvement, real-not-manufactured non-plastic independent feeling he has  nurtured is ..... matchless.

This neighborhood will be significantly poorer without his place.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 01:57:49 AM »
I think the idea is that the rent increases so much the math encourages the landlords to hold out for a tenant willing to pay that amount.

To keep it simple, if the rent for the previous tenant was $1000 a month, in one year the landlord brings in $12,000. Raise the rent to $2,000 a month, previous tenant leaves and store front sits empty for a year until someone comes along willing to pay $2,000 a month and signs a 5 year lease, landlord gets (2,000 X 60) - (1000 X 12) = $108,000 over a six year period. Compare that to keeping the previous tenant for six years at $1000 a month, $72,000, and the landlord's willingness to leave the store front empty until a tenant with deeper pockets comes along makes sense.

Yeah, of course that makes sense. It's just that seeing stores sit empty for years boggles my mind. I've seen this in the area of Manhattan where I work. I don't doubt that they're holding out for higher rents. But I still suspect they're able to deduct the income loss, too.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
There is an empty space on the corner of Broadway and 75th Street that is part of Roosevelt Ave Subway Station.  Where the buses stop. (It's an usual shape with all glass walls.  Technically it's Elmhurst there, I imagine.)

It has been vacant forever.

And my idea would be for the owner of Terraza 7 to approach the MTA and FINALLY lease out that place...

NO noise problems... Roosevelt Ave Station is 24/7 and always noisy.
It's cosy...but so is Terraza 7 currently.
Perfect location and a cinch to get to by subway.

And perhaps the rent would be reasonable if Terraza 7 negotiates with the MTA.

After all, until now the MTA has been getting ZERO income from a storefront for OVER 10 YEARS... That in itself is sort of SCANDALOUS for the MTA, an organization that constantly cries out that they have no funds.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:01:25 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
that's a great location, for sure -- and it's ridiculous that it's gone unoccupied for so long.

i just wonder about the size of the space, and the potential of noise coming through from the subway/bus part of the program -- not conducive to music and/or readings.

There is an empty space on the corner of Broadway and 75th Street that is part of Roosevelt Ave Subway Station.  Where the buses stop. (It's an usual shape with all glass walls.  Technically it's Elmhurst there, I imagine.)

It has been vacant forever.

And my idea would be for the owner of Terraza 7 to approach the MTA and FINALLY lease out that place...

NO noise problems... Roosevelt Ave Station is 24/7 and always noisy.
It's cosy...but so is Terraza 7 currently.
Perfect location and a cinch to get to by subway.

And perhaps the rent would be reasonable if Terraza 7 negotiates with the MTA.

After all, until now the MTA has been getting ZERO income from a storefront for OVER 10 YEARS... That in itself is sort of SCANDALOUS for the MTA, an organization that constantly cries out that they have no funds.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Hah DSSJH...

You have a miraculous and remarkable way of imagining negatives in any positive idea.

You should market that ability...and make money from it!

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
You have a miraculous and remarkable way of imagining negatives in any positive idea.

That made me laugh. Thanks. I agree that it'd be worth looking, despite the subway noise.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 02:17:06 PM »
The NIMBYs in this community would have a field day with anything near 37th:

"Music (could disturb my pwecious sleep!), booze (gosh! think of the children!), hispanics and their culture (oh my!)."

...and that's before you look at the responses typically thrown at anything new bar-like from the muslim population around 74th St.

If he's to find anything affordable at all with any chance of opening, I fear Northern or close by there is where he'll have to go.

I hope he succeeds  because Terraza 7 is pretty much the only **world-class** non-food destination we have in this neighborhood. PERIOD. (Can you think of ANY another  non-food public venue that you would say "Come to jackson heights for this"?). There is simply very little like it across anywhere in NYC, and the breadth of music he gets is AMAZING.... the covers reasonable.... and the community-involvement, real-not-manufactured non-plastic independent feeling he has  nurtured is ..... matchless.

This neighborhood will be significantly poorer without his place.

As someone that can hear loud music and bass emanating from the Jewish Community Center on 37th and 77th until 3AM at times, noise issues are not a ridiculous complaint to have.

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
 I heard they are currently eyeing locations in the Bronx.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 03:45:39 AM »
Wow, $27000 a month is insane, no wonder why all we ever get around here is cell phone stores, doctors, pharmacies, and opticians. 

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »
Do cell phone stores, doctors, pharmacies and opticians pay $27,000 a month in rent??????

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »
Do cell phone stores, doctors, pharmacies and opticians pay $27,000 a month in rent??????

You might be able to check retail rents on a site like Loopnet.  If I'm doing the math correctly, this storefront on 74th St. would be $15,000 a month rent.  http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19790637/37th-Ave-74-St-Jackson-Heights-NY/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 11:19:21 PM »

the GNC pays $9,000, i believe.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »
Any updates on their closing? They don't have any new things posted for december, and
I just tried to call their phone # and it's "temporarily disconnected"

:'(

--

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »