Author Topic: Terraza 7 Cafe  (Read 14115 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Terraza 7 Cafe
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
Re: Terraza 7 Cafe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
Love this joint.  Wish they would fix their keg issue.  Takes em like 2 minutes to pour a beer with all the foam it has.  This waste is probably the reason beers are 7 bucks.  Haven't been there in about 4 months so maybe it's fixed, but it has been like that for years.  Still, one of my fav hangs in the city.  Period.  Music and vibe are always amazing.

Offline zubloop

• Resident
Terraza 7's Updated Beer Selection
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
The other night, paid a visit to Terraza for the first time in months and was very happy to discover that they've installed new, and more, taps. Not only that, they are carrying at least two different brews from Astoria's SingleCut Beersmiths -- I had a really nice hoppy IPA.

I've long been a fan of this place, though I never drank beer there because they never cleaned the lines and had a boring selection.

Terraza is a great neighborhood joint with live music most every night, and now with good beer on tap it qualifies as a great bar by any standard. 

Offline hfm

• Mayor
Re: Terraza 7's Updated Beer Selection
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
Save Terraza 7
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
I came across this on my Facebook feed and thought it might be of interest to some on this board. I've been a long time lurker on this site and it seems that the rising commercial rents in Jackson Heights have been a running concern. I'm not sure what this petition can do but I suppose it's worth a shot. Terrazza 7 is a great place to have in the community and it would be a shame for it to be gone.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/787/828/533/save-terraza-7/?taf_id=23603033&cid=fb_na

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
Re: Save Terraza 7
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
Just signed.  Thanks for sharing.

#therentistoodamnhigh!

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »
I believe the building is going to be torn down in order for condos to be built--something like that, is what I heard. So I don't think the issue is rising rents. But of course, the issue is money. Seems to me effort might be better spent trying to help the owner find a new space?

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
Signed. I agree, a petition probably won't stop the building being torn down, if that's really in the works. But we don't know that it is, and anyway, it's not as if the act of signing a petition consumes so much effort we can't do anything else.  :D

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
I believe the owner of Terraza 7, Freddy, has confirmed that the reason he must leave is that the building is being torn down and redeveloped.

Energy might be better spent locating a new site for him.

Northern Boulevard?

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
There are a lot of empty spaces on 37th, too.  Of course, we have no idea what rent is feasible for this sort of business. I agree that signing a petition takes only a minute, but what is the sense of a petition? To whom are you petitioning and for what? To interrupt the sale of a building that has likely already taken place? And how on earth would a petition stop it even if it has not taken place? If it's a meaningless gesture, why not spend time on something that might actually yield the desired result, like helping to find a new space. What is the owner planning to do--does anyone know?

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »
The petition seems a bit misguided. Raising awareness for their cause could be much more helpful if we knew how much space they need (square footage) and what their budget is. Perhaps someone can get that information and update the petition with that information.

Terraza 7 is a great venue - let's find them a new home!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »
$27,000? That sounds outrageous to me. How does that compare to similar spaces in other neighborhoods? I remember seeing posts here before that said JH commercial rents are higher than even Astoria's.

What I don't get it how storefronts will sit empty for years, not rented out. Not just here but all around the city. There must be something in it for the landlords--maybe a big tax deduction because they're "losing" money?

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
I think the idea is that the rent increases so much the math encourages the landlords to hold out for a tenant willing to pay that amount.

To keep it simple, if the rent for the previous tenant was $1000 a month, in one year the landlord brings in $12,000. Raise the rent to $2,000 a month, previous tenant leaves and store front sits empty for a year until someone comes along willing to pay $2,000 a month and signs a 5 year lease, landlord gets (2,000 X 60) - (1000 X 12) = $108,000 over a six year period. Compare that to keeping the previous tenant for six years at $1000 a month, $72,000, and the landlord's willingness to leave the store front empty until a tenant with deeper pockets comes along makes sense.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »