Author Topic: We need a healthy place like Ripe Juice Bar (just opened in Forest Hills)  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
This place sounds like exactly what I am looking for here in JH.  It's called Ripe Juice Bar and has much more than just juice.

Here's a bit about it from an article in NewsBlaze

"RIPE's modest space still boasts a large kitchen. "When you believe in something good, well, it's a great feeling to go to work," owner Peter Kambitsis motions, "I pick out fish at the market, myself. When I cut a strip of fresh tuna, it looks just like Sushi. Everything is fresh and healthy, large portions. Much of my crew are personal fitness trainers."

From egg white omelets with the works (no exaggeration), to whole wheat personal pizza with nonfat mozzarella, if you cannot decide amid an everything fresh variety of salads, chicken, fish or steak grills, Panini, wraps, bowls, soups, juices, smoothies, workout drinks and guilt free deserts, then, you're getting the picture."

And the folks at Queens Central can't say enough good things about it.
http://www.queenscentral.com/forums/topic.php?id=467

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
I swear, I can't come online here and read the posts without getting hungry.  This sounds like my kind of place, too.
First, do no harm.

Offline jennsch

• Activist
A friend who lives in FH was going on and on (and on) about this place the other day. I don't think I'd travel to go to it but...I would definitely be a regular if it was in JH.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
I'd definitely go for a Ripe Juice Bar in the neighborhood as well.  That creamy honey oatmeal with fresh fruit sounds delicious, and would be a healthier alternative to my usual bagel.  Yeah, I can make oatmeal at home, but it's nice to go out for breakfast every once in a while and be able to order something that's good for you. :angel:
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline jennsch

• Activist
That's exactly how I feel. It's easier for me to make the kind of stuff they serve at home rather than go out to FH. But...I'd love the option to go out for it if it was in walking distance.

Offline Michael82

• Resident
Re: We need a healthy place like Ripe Juice Bar (just opened in Forest Hills)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
Perusing the forum, I see this thread from 11 years ago.  Still no quality healthy takeout spot like Ripe.  Obviously something I am craving, as per my current thread.  Just thought it interesting to find this one from so long ago.  I am really not understanding the reluctance by somebody to go for it.  It would stand out in a sea of spanish, asian, and middle eastern spots.

Offline Fedup

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Stop trying to raise the rents of honest immigrant workers of JH. If you want your acai bowls and smoothies, go to Forest Hills!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »
Stop trying to raise the rents of honest immigrant workers of JH. If you want your acai bowls and smoothies, go to Forest Hills!

Healthy food is for everyone. We have Just Made 4 U. We could use some other options.

Offline Michael82

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »

Healthy food is for everyone. We have Just Made 4 U. We could use some other options.

Yes. This. This is not some plea on my part to try and gentrify people out of any neighborhood.  Far from it.  Frankly, it’s almost insulting to assume that honest immigrants would not love an option like this.  People of all backgrounds are into fitness these days and trying to eat cleaner.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
I agree with Michael82--the assumption that the desire for healthier food is some sort of affectation of the more privileged people among us is unfortunate. Is this Ripe Juice Bar long gone from Forest Hills, I wonder?

Offline Michael82

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
I agree with Michael82--the assumption that the desire for healthier food is some sort of affectation of the more privileged people among us is unfortunate. Is this Ripe Juice Bar long gone from Forest Hills, I wonder?

I literally went yesterday haha. No joke. Was with me girl around that way and happened upon it, having never heard of it. Then I happened to see this ancient thread. Pretty strange actually.

Place was delicious btw. I got sliced grilled steak, steamed veggies, and black beans. Not at all overly salty, but still tasty. Clean. This is not all about acai bowls and smoothies. More about more options to get real, clean food on the go if one wants.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:48:44 PM by Michael82 »

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
Just yesterday there was an article in the NYTimes Science Section about the high rate of cardiovascular disease in people from South Asia. They become diabetic at lower weights, for one thing. There were various factors identified, but they included the traditional diet from that region. Even though many people are vegetarian, their diet tends to be high in sugar/carbs. Yes, unhealthy. I'll have to look Ripe Juice Bar up--I go often to Forest Hills, but just to one area and I suspect it's not there, or I would have noticed it.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »

the desire to eat healthy is by no means limited to the more privileged or to people of certain ethnicities -- having lived in areas of Brooklyn with large Caribbean populations, i learned to love the vegetarian (and mostly healthy) restaurants there. acai bowls and kale smoothies, those might be upper middle class affectations, but eating healthy? certainly not.

Offline Michael82

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »

the desire to eat healthy is by no means limited to the more privileged or to people of certain ethnicities -- having lived in areas of Brooklyn with large Caribbean populations, i learned to love the vegetarian (and mostly healthy) restaurants there. acai bowls and kale smoothies, those might be upper middle class affectations, but eating healthy? certainly not.

Just to reiterate. I am talking more about market plate type dishes, healthy wraps or sandwiches, rice/quinoa bowls, oatmeal/breakfast wraps, etc as opposed to kale smoothies.  I think many folks would be into that type of option.   

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »