Author Topic: Can we make Jackson Heights more attractive, classy and Trendy?  (Read 34852 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Can we make Jackson Heights more attractive, classy and Trendy?
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
lol, planes:

actually, the 'by the pound' thing has been a tradition in texas forever, and the authentic places up north follow suit.

and being open for dinner only isn't that strange a practice, is it?

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
You know Normal and Rockwell and Hipster and Trendy. 4 words to ponder at length.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
OK, so it won't be located in Jackson Heights, but nearby Long Island City.  The Daily News is reporting that a market similar to Chelsea Market is already in the works.  Apparently, the former warehouse, the Falchi Building, is owned by the people behind Chelsea Market, and is located near LaGuardia Community College.

Here's an excerpt mentioning one of the markets:

One of the flagship tenants in the new market will be Artisanal Premium Cheese, which buys and sells curds from all over the world. The company will have a shop and a restaurant in the new market and will expand its aging caves.

Old Long Island City warehouse will be reborn as a Chelsea Market clone
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
OK, so it won't be located in Jackson Heights, but nearby Long Island City.  The Daily News is reporting that a market similar to Chelsea Market is already in the works.  Apparently, the former warehouse, the Falchi Building, is owned by the people behind Chelsea Market, and is located near LaGuardia Community College.

One of the flagship tenants in the new market will be Artisanal Premium Cheese, which buys and sells curds from all over the world. The company will have a shop and a restaurant in the new market and will expand its aging caves.

Great! Any idea when it's supposed to happen?

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
I work right across the street from here. I get my lunch in this building. There really are very few food choices around here. I hope this place with prompt a few more food vendors to come to the area. I wonder if there will be enough business from the office workers around here to sustain it; or if it'll become an actual destination. There is very little parking available during work hours, and the place is dead on the weekends.

They've been doing interior and exterior work on the building for the past month or so.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I work right across the street from here. I get my lunch in this building. There really are very few food choices around here. I hope this place with prompt a few more food vendors to come to the area. I wonder if there will be enough business from the office workers around here to sustain it; or if it'll become an actual destination. There is very little parking available during work hours, and the place is dead on the weekends.

They've been doing interior and exterior work on the building for the past month or so.

Not that dead, we've been going to COFFEED for (you guessd it) coffee and lunch on Sundays, there's always a little crowd....

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »

Not that dead, we've been going to COFFEED for (you guessd it) coffee and lunch on Sundays, there's always a little crowd....

Where's that? I'm not familiar.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »
Just googled. That's in a slight different, but nearby area. Still, there's a similar mix of industrial/office space. The neighborhood is definitely changing.
I'll be checking this new place out.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
Oh sorry. I thought you were talking about the Queens Market LIC

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

Great! Any idea when it's supposed to happen?

I have yet to see an official opening date for the entire market, but an article from DNAinfo states that Artisanal Premium Cheese is expecting to open its shop around January.

Here's more:

Artisanal Cheese Shop Coming to Warehouse Owned By Chelsea Market Developer
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Hummingbird

• Citizen
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
"Can we make Jackson Heights more attractive, classy and Trendy?"

I personally hope never...not the way some people define "attractive," anyway. It's already very attractive to me as it is, namely its diversity and its location. It's interesting what some people define as "classy" and "attractive." Does one mean less brown people and less working and middle class people?

In any case, every single neighborhood I've lived in on both coasts of the US that's gone the way of "trendy" has priced me and other folks in a similar income bracket, only to be replaced by the moneyed who just consume, rather than produce, and thereby drive up the prices. To be honest, that's how I ended up in JH from Brooklyn.

I feel very passionately about gentrification and what it does to neighborhoods and the residents living in it and generally, I tend it view it unfavorably. Yes, JH right now doesn't have every single thing imaginable, but the beauty of it is that I'm within walking distance of several neighborhoods that offers basically anything that I need and desire. For a few things, there's the subway to Manhattan. I'd much, much rather prefer it like this than JH becoming a concentration of "trendiness" that will have effectively pushed out the very people that have made JH what it is. The Village, SoHo, Tribeca, etc are all "trendy," but culturally, I find it really homogenous, boring, and pretentious in my more ungenerous moods. That's the thing about rich people--they come in with their money and kick out the very people who made those neighborhoods vibrant, vivacious, and trendy, and turn it into a bland wasteland full over overpriced restaurants with mediocre foods at best.

If one wants trendiness, "classy" (what a term, frankly), and attractiveness, one can always move to SoHo, Park Slope, whatever. One cannot have everything in one place, especially in an American urban city.

Offline Ed

• Mayor

Offline I live here too

• Mayor
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
There are things that can be done that don't fall into the category of gentrification: noise, garbage, illegal housing etc. If we accomplished just those - JH would be a far more livable place. That's the bottom rung of what she should be aiming for though.

Whenver I hear about people talk about JH in these terms, I think of the "Lowered Expectations" skit from MadTV, and it makes me very frustrated and a little sick. I've lived in working class neighborhoods in Bronx, Manhattan and now Queens and I've never seen such denial. I have hope though that things will change, and maybe the world won't cave in for working and middle class people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flv5nWZgII

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Well said.  I totally agree. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »