Poll

Which is your go-to coffee place in the neighborhood?

Starbucks
Juju's
Espresso 77
La Nueva Bakery
Lety's

Author Topic: Which coffee spot are you?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Which coffee spot are you?
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »
I've been finding that people are either Espresso 77, JuJu's, or Starbucks --- the crowds differ quite a bit. Which one are you??

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Which coffee spot are you?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
for the actual coffee?

E77 hands down.

for sitting down to enjoy a leisurely cup?

JuJu's, no question.

for sweets?

Lety's....i always get something new and have never been disappointed.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
Love Espresso 77. Nice, cute, sunny, friendly.

I second Lety's sweets.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
I like Espresso 77 and Juju's and often go to both.  Depends on my mood.  I also like Lety's but don't go there as often.  I did have their coffee once and thought it was excellent.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
Espresso 77 is my go to place for coffee, especially when they're grinding up Ecuadorian beans.  ;) I love this place for various reasons.

A few:

They're very welcoming to all;

Interesting neighborhood chatter always going on by various groups using it as a meeting place;

It's a cool place to hang out and grab a glass of wine or beer, meet neighbors and just chat about what's happening locally;

Watched the Super Bowl on a large projection screen last year, watched election results a few nights ago;

Friendly owners and staff always aiming to please; and

Espresso 77 is always involved in community affairs.  It's the little cafe that could.

I also enjoy stopping by Juju's.  Sammy and Sonia are super nice and also very welcoming.  The Juju salads are delicious!  Sammy has a signature dressing that's a must have.  I also love the fact that they're very flexible with their offerings.

Sad to say, but I've been disappointed by the pastries at Lety's the last few times I've been there, and I've been meaning to talk to them about that.  I recently purchased a slice of Italian cheesecake, and it was stale with a refrigerated taste.  The same thing happened when I opted for a slice of one of their chocolate cakes.  Lately, I've found the quality of the baked goods inconsistent.  That said, Lety and her husband Octavio are are super friendly and approachable, so I'll definitely take a moment to chat with them about my experiences.  On a positive note, I special ordered a chocolate mocha birthday cake back in September... it was fabulous!!!  With regard to the coffee, I prefer their espresso based beverages over the iced.

By the way, some of the local Colombian spots have awesome coffee as well.  Anyone willing to share thoughts on that?  I've had the cafe con leche at Seba Seba paired with a chicharron de Guayaba (love these pastries) on a few occasions and have always been pleased.  Wish I didn't have to worry about lactose so I could indulge a bit more.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:17:54 AM by Chuckster »
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Ed

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
Juju's is a great hang, the iced coffee at Nueva is EXCELLENT!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
lots of people don't like the coffee at Canelle, but i love the cafe con leche there.
but then again, comparing anything from there to any place in JH is not fair - just too good.