Author Topic: Car vandalism post Hurricane Sandy - adding insult to injury  (Read 852 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Car vandalism post Hurricane Sandy - adding insult to injury
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
I counted 13 cars with flat tires along 35th Avenue in the high 70s as I exited my building this morning.  If you're parked on the avenue or the perimeter side streets in that area, check your cars!
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline hfm

• Activist
Re: Car vandalism post Hurricane Sandy - adding insult to injury
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Congratulations to whomever for proving that you are lowlife(s).

Offline jhteacher

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
People are syphoning gas from parked cars.  Beware.  Maybe those 6 hour gas lines aren't worth it if someone is just going to go ahead and help themselves.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
People are syphoning gas from parked cars.  Beware.  Maybe those 6 hour gas lines aren't worth it if someone is just going to go ahead and help themselves.

I heard this was happening in Astoria too.  I hope if they siphon mine that they at least leave me enough to get to the gas station once they are operating again.

Offline snickers

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
Most late model cars have an anti-siphon valve or a mesh screen which makes it impossible for them
to steal your gas. The worst is when they drill a small hole under the tank and steal it that way.
To replace a gas tank is very expensive, over $1,000 in most cases.

Offline joopy86

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
I heard this was happening in Astoria too.  I hope if they siphon mine that they at least leave me enough to get to the gas station once they are operating again.

They siphoned gas from my dad's car in Astoria over the weekend. (They have a private gated backyard where they park their car.) Since the storm wasn't so bad in that part of Astoria he had a chance to fill up the tank on Sunday morning before the storm. They took approximately 1/4 of the tank.  My parents were very chill about the situation and said, "Well, some people can't move their cars at all....so I hope it helped them!"

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:58:33 AM »
Most late model cars have an anti-siphon valve or a ..

I didn't realize that, I was going to syphon a couple of gallons from my BMW tomorrow to put into my work truck just to get to New Rochelle to fill up.  I actually syphoned about 3 gallons from my 1971 GTO during the weekend and used it on the truck.  I also syphoned another 3 gallons and put it in my wife's Toyota when she came from work today.  When she came home from her job (she now teaches in LIC) her gas gauge's light was on and she was almost in tears.   :( .   It usually take her 25 to 30 minutes to get home but took her 2 full hours today due to the glorious weather. Anyway, the '71 GTO probably still has 1/4 tank so I guess I'll have to syphon some more from her instead.  :(  
Time is running out!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
@ Snickers...You were right!

I couldnt get any gas from the Bimmer to put in my truck.   :tickedoff:
Time is running out!