Author Topic: Lety's Bakery & Cafe  (Read 9090 times)

Offline spooky

• Resident
Re: Lety's Bakery & Cafe
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »
What’s happening at Letys? Major gut renovation?

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »
Yes! I actually talked to her this weekend and they're closing for about 2 weeks to renovate. I asked what they were doing and she said "everything."

Excited for her and to see the new space when it's done!

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »
Wow, I saw the demo going on inside this afternoon and feared the worst. Glad it's only a renovation project and hope their contractor sticks to the schedule.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
the worker i spoke to today seemed pretty confident they'd be open in two weeks "maybe earlier." :)

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:17 PM »
I had icecream there for the 1st time this weekend and it was delicious !

Offline Markshark

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 04:58:42 PM »
I hope they don't feel the need to compete with the new guys up the avenue...I've been going to lety's since they opened, and while they don't make world class pastry, it's the quintessential New York bakery, the kind you don't see too much any more. I love the cannolis and we always get kids b-day cakes here. More than anything though, I hope they aren't planning on kicking out the old timers and neighborhood kids who park in their seats. The fact that it's a neighborhood rest-stop is the greatest service they provide, and I know conventional wisdom says that being too lenient in this way is bad business, I'd argue that it's the only reason this pace has sustained itself all these years.

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »
World class coffee. Best in the neighborhood.

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
World class coffee. Best in the neighborhood.

Wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree! Well priced and delicious. I love them!

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 12:22:01 AM »
Lety's Italian cheesecake is excellent and a rare find nowadays. The traditional macarons (her S-shaped cookies are gooey delicious almond paste which was the macaron before someone decided to color them, shape them by machine, and sell them in a box for a ridiculous price) are superb. Her cappuccino is only 2-something and is served in a glass mug.

I find the pretty stuff at fancier places is often too sweet for me. Sugar does not make pastries better.

Love Lety's.

Offline Susan_14

• Tourist
Lety's Bakery
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Lety's Bakery and Cafe, on 37th Ave, being closed.  It says for renovation. We frequent them fairly regularly, but had no idea this was going to happen. 

Similar topic merged by moderator.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:46:16 PM by JHMNY »

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
It's closed for renovations, as you can see in some of above post replies.

Offline Susan_14

• Tourist
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
Thanks for merging my question into this thread.  I missed it when I looked. 

My husband and I love Lety's and we're happy to hear this is only a reno. Their cheesecakes and regular cakes are wonderful and I often stop for coffee.  When we got married in February we had a celebration in our home and we bought three different cakes there...and all were hits with our guests! Sure, we've been going to Farine for Key lime tarts and baguettes, but we weren't buying those at Lety's anyway. 

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »
Farine?! I don't pay $6.50 for pastry in Manhattan... so I'm certainly not going to in JH.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 11:58:35 PM »
Lety is fantastic, good to see they are remodeling. I still haven't been to Farine yet as the last time I asked they said they couldn't guarantee nut allergy safety due to them not having the kitchen set up properly for it yet.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »
So I just passed by Lety's this afternoon and the doorway was opened wide enough to get a look inside. Seems like there's still quite a bit of work to do before they are ready to reopen, so I'm guessing at least another week? Anyone heard anything different?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »