Author Topic: Lety's Bakery & Cafe  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Lety's Bakery & Cafe
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:01:09 PM »
I stopped by Lety's tonight and noticed that they're now selling gelato, $2.00 a small cup.  Flavors are vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, mango and coffee.  I tried the strawberry and thought it had a nice flavor...will definitely try the others.  It's nice to have this option during the warm weather months, especially now that Baskin Robbins is no longer around.  Good for those days when you feel like indulging a little. ;)
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
Re: Lety's Bakery & Cafe
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »
I love gelato.  It would be great not to have to drive over to Ditmars to get my fix.  Yesterday I walked over to yofiore to try their coffee or pomegranite yogurt but they didn't have either flavor so I just walked over to Yogurtberry and got their plain with three berry topping.  It was delicious.  Don't ask me why I didn't stay and try the plain at yofiore but I didn't.
First, do no harm.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »
A friend recently told me that Lety's now sells bagels during breakfast hours.  Can anyone confirm this?

Offline Marlene

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
A friend recently told me that Lety's now sells bagels during breakfast hours.  Can anyone confirm this?

Confirmed. :smiley6600:

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »
Thanks Marlene!

Offline James_and_Faye

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:06 PM »
Our favorite treats from Lety's are the dark chocolate rum balls and the mini raspberry and blueberry fruit tarts.

It would be great if Lety's also started serving sandwiches and soups.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
I heard that the baker here had experience before at Veniero's in NYC.  We just ordered a Pastiera (a typical Italian wheat pie eaten at Easter) and the price was HALF of what they charge in Manhattan.  Everything we have purchased at Lety's has been excellent.  I am so happy they are here in JH.

judibean

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
I like their chocolate rum balls (do they really have rum in them?!), rainbow cakes, and plain cheesecake.  Their cheesecake is now my favorite of all cheesecakes.  Silly me, I used to like Juniors until I realized how much better it can get!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:59 AM »
There is now a Lety Bakery Cafe 2 in Woodside
http://sunnysidepost.com/2012/12/18/italian-bakery-on-skillman-avenue-opens/

An Italian bakery opened earlier this month at 51-18 Skillman Ave., the former home of Olympica Bakery and Restaurant. The new bakery, called Lety Bakery Cafe II, is the second store that owner Leticia Herera has established. She is selling cannolis, tiramisu, napoleons and Italian cheesecakes– all baked on the premises. Breakfast service starts at 6 am and there is plenty of seating.

Herera’s other bakery is in Jackson Heights—which has received rave reviews in the six years it has been open. Spurred on by her success, she decided to open another in Woodside. “I checked the town and it didn’t have an Italian bakery,” she said. One block west of Herera’s new bakery is La Marjolaine (50-17 Skillman Ave,) the French bakery that has been in business for 62 years. La Marjolaine owner Krim Debeh is aware of Lety Bakery and said: “Competition is good for everyone, besides everyone has a different way of baking.” Meanwhile, Herera, said, “They’re French, we’re Italian…It’s very different.”

Offline megc

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
I stumbled upon Lety's while doing some research on food in Jackson Heights last spring and loved it! I went in once and asked them to add their gelato to coffee and they did it - it was yum. Their raisin roll is really tasty - heck, everything I've had there is tasty! I'll have to check out the Sunnyside location - thanks for the tip.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
I've eaten at Lety's in Woodside several times now. They are serving breakfast and lunch with service that seems to stop at 7-8p, so not full dinner yet. Prices are very reasonable (i.e. Omelet platter w/ home fries and coffee was $5).
They still don't have menu's and seem to still be getting their act together on what they will offer on a consistent basis.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
Each year around Christmas I look for the Italian Fig Ccokies, I think they are called Cucidati.  They have them at Lety’s and they are particularly delicious. 

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
Each year around Christmas I look for the Italian Fig Ccokies, I think they are called Cucidati.  They have them at Lety’s and they are particularly delicious.

Lety's is quite good. I like their S cookie (without the chocolate dip). It's an almond cookie, technically an old-school macaron, before they were manufactured by machine in all those hideous colors. Letys' just needs a teeny bit more paste to be perfect. But that stuff is expensive, so I don't expect it to be old-fashion moisty-chewy.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
i love their pignoli cookies and their miniatures - the rum balls and other chocolates, especially. nicest staff around, as well.

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
Great carrot cake!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »