Author Topic: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th  (Read 24987 times)

Offline rabucat

• Resident
Re: Lemon Farm - updated thread
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
the selection is definitely great, and they do have a lot of items not otherwise found in the neighborhood. on the downside, however, you need to check the dates on perishable stuff like cheese/salumi. i've had a few bad experiences of getting home and finding i'd gotten something more than a couple of weeks out of date -- which the proprietors have always dealt with apologetically and without issue.

I've had that happen at a few places in the neighborhood--the perils of stocking a wide variety of perishable goods in a neighborhood where there is nascent, but not established, interest in certain specialty items, I suppose. It's worth noting that the "use by" or "sell by" dates are not really that indicative of whether things have gone bad or are no longer fit for consumption.  99% Invisible, a reliably interesting podcast, had a recent episode about this topic:  http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/best-enjoyed-by/   

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
Dates are flexible. Mold and foul scents, not so much.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
Dates are flexible. Mold and foul scents, not so much.

to emphasize, this is definitely the exception, not the rule. and when i've had problems, they were dealt with very, very politely and well.

Offline MinorIon

• Resident
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
We used to shop at Lemon Farm but the day or two after the last time we went there and used a credit card, our card info was stolen and used for items purchased in NYC. The only others uses of our credit card in the previous weeks had been online, so it seems reasonable to infer that the person who stole the information was local.

We no longer shop at Lemon Farm and my personal belief is that it's not safe to shop at Lemon Farm using a credit card. Note that, at least back when we used to shop there, they have to take your card and hold it behind the counter rather than using a machine that lets you swipe in front of the register.

In any case, my belief is nothing more than that: a personal belief.

(We've also had the out-of-date food problem there and they were fine about it.)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
We used to shop at Lemon Farm but the day or two after the last time we went there and used a credit card, our card info was stolen and used for items purchased in NYC. The only others uses of our credit card in the previous weeks had been online, so it seems reasonable to infer that the person who stole the information was local.

If you are sure it happened there, did you report it to the police?

Offline MinorIon

• Resident
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
If you are sure it happened there, did you report it to the police?
No, I didn't report it because I'm not sure. I just think it's a reasonable inference and have adjusted my shopping preferences accordingly.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
More than once, we've had fraudulent use of our credit cards when they were still on our possession, and the crooks were buying things with our credit card numbers all over the US, in states we had never been in. This must mean that they can get hold of the credit card numbers and whatever other info they need without ever actually touching the card. I have no idea how, but just sayin'. It's been happening a lot--three times with the same credit account. Not sure you can assume it happened at a particular store.

Offline rosie

• Citizen
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
I've shopped at Lemon Farm consistently since they opened and have never had an issue with credit card info being stolen. That kind of thing can happen anywhere, especially online. Anyway, hardly seems a reason to stop shopping at a great store. I do most of my shopping there because even though they're small, they almost always have what I'm looking for- including vegetarian sausage! Their cheese selection is excellent as well. Personally, I can't say enough good things about Lemon Farm!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »
I'm a long-time happy customer at Lemon Farm.  I like that they stock large bottles of Ito En tea cheaper than I can find elsewhere.  And I can always find something new to try in their interesting assortment of European specialty foods.

Jackson Heights Life

Re: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »