Author Topic: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th  (Read 25990 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
oh, that *is* good to hear. i love artisanal, on all levels. will definitely pick up a bit this weekend :)

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
I love aged gouda, more than any other cheese. I usually get mine from Fresh Direct, it will be nice to be able to patronize a local business!

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
Here is the latest update on the merchandise being stocked: John, the owner, is now carrying the full line of Z Crackers (http://www.savorypie.com/) and will be getting Hot Bread Kitchen's (www.hotbreadkitchen.org) Armenian lavash crackers in starting this Sunday. He is expecting another shipment of Artisanal Premium Cheese shortly and I have encouraged him to ask the salesman to rotate the selection. Food Should Taste Good (http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com) all-natural tortilla chips are also on order. This is an excellent product and one that you might ordinarily have to go to Whole Foods to get. None of these products are currently available in other neighborhood stores. We are slowly making progress broadening the food offerings to neighborhood residents and at the same time affording John and his colleague Adam a stronger opportunity to succeed by giving their store a distinctive point of view (i.e. you can get both staples and goods unavailable elsewhere on 37th Avenue).

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
Here is the latest update on the merchandise being stocked: John, the owner, is now carrying the full line of Z Crackers (http://www.savorypie.com/) and will be getting Hot Bread Kitchen's (www.hotbreadkitchen.org) Armenian lavash crackers in starting this Sunday. He is expecting another shipment of Artisanal Premium Cheese shortly and I have encouraged him to ask the salesman to rotate the selection. Food Should Taste Good (http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com) all-natural tortilla chips are also on order. This is an excellent product and one that you might ordinarily have to go to Whole Foods to get. None of these products are currently available in other neighborhood stores. We are slowly making progress broadening the food offerings to neighborhood residents and at the same time affording John and his colleague Adam a stronger opportunity to succeed by giving their store a distinctive point of view (i.e. you can get both staples and goods unavailable elsewhere on 37th Avenue).

Excellent!

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
They have added Eli's bread,Amy's and Bread Alone in the back!  :rockon: I also saw Bread alone and Hot Bread Kitchen's granola.
I love this place, I always pick something up from them, we need stores like this in the neighborhood.

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
FYI - John and Adam at Lemon Farm are now carrying bread from Eli's, Amy's and Bread Alone, plus lavash crackers and granola from Hot Bread Kitchen.

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
I also discovered that they are now selling eight-ounce bars of one-year-aged and maple-smoked Grafton cheddar for $2.99, which I told Adam had to be mismarked. He said, no, that was the correct price. That is a ridiculous deal. I'm hoping that they get the two-year in, too. Adam also said they're trying to get Applegate organic and natural meats in, which I know a lot of parents in the neighborhood would appreciate for their kids. I've encouraged him to try and get some Niman Ranch products in. Maybe, just maybe, we'll even see Nueske's bacon one day, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Still, you can't blame a guy for dreamin'.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Finally....this is exactly the kind of place that Jackson Heights is craving They seem busy too which is good. I will definitely be spending my dollars here! I hope for a few more places like this just so that there is a balance.....and so that I don't have to go into the city everytime I need something. :-)

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »
They just got in two new cheeses from Artisanal: Uplands Pleasant Ridge Reserve, which won the 2010 American Cheese Society's Gold Medal, besting 1,400 other American cheeses (it's also won best cheese in its class for the past three years) and North Country Blue from Minnesota, a cheese I've never even seen in Murray's or Fairway. Please note, the Uplands is an expensive cheese no matter where you buy it, but Lemon Farm's price is quite reasonable. They also now have in Laura Chenel goat cheese marinated in olive oil at a low price. Adam said he's hoping to get a bread shipment from Eli's and Amy's this Thursday and I've encouraged him to post a sign letting customers know the weekly delivery date to ensure the loaves can be purchased at their peak freshness.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
They just got in two new cheeses from Artisanal: Uplands Pleasant Ridge Reserve, which won the 2010 American Cheese Society's Gold Medal, besting 1,400 other American cheeses (it's also won best cheese in its class for the past three years) and North Country Blue from Minnesota, a cheese I've never even seen in Murray's or Fairway. Please note, the Uplands is an expensive cheese no matter where you buy it, but Lemon Farm's price is quite reasonable. They also now have in Laura Chenel goat cheese marinated in olive oil at a low price. Adam said he's hoping to get a bread shipment from Eli's and Amy's this Thursday and I've encouraged him to post a sign letting customers know the weekly delivery date to ensure the loaves can be purchased at their peak freshness.

Thanks for the update!  Can't wait to try the bread.

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
I also discovered that they are now selling eight-ounce bars of one-year-aged and maple-smoked Grafton cheddar for $2.99, which I told Adam had to be mismarked. He said, no, that was the correct price. That is a ridiculous deal.

Thanks for this tip!  I got some yesterday. :D

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
I am happy to report that John and Adam, the co-owners of the store, just got in Applegate organic and natural meats, including the company's bacon, roasted turkey and ham. I'm hoping they eventually start carrying Niman Ranch Fearless Franks and bacon, too, as the same company that distributes Applegate in New York also distributes Niman Ranch products. The store is now also selling Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips, an excellent brand, and Bruce Cost's Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale, a stellar ginger soda, in four flavors. These are all great additions and I encourage everyone to shop at the store and show John and Adam that there is demand for these products. Another item on my wish list is Olli Salumeria (http://www.ollisalumeria.com) whose charcuterie is up there with Fra' Mani's. The one advantage that Olli's stuff has is that it's vacuum packed and has a long shelf life. Feel free to post items that you would like the story to carry and I will let them know.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Thanks for the update, Ben.  I am really pleased to hear about the organic meat.  I'm trying to cut sugar out of my diet but I don't think I'll be able to resist trying some of the ginger ale you mentioned. 

I'd love to see sprouted bread (like Ezekiel) but I can't imagine it would a big seller (and it has to be frozen because it goes bad so quickly). 

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
Board users might be interested to know that Lemon Farm now carries wedges of Parmigiano-Reggiano, the real deal and "King of Cheeses." Best of all the price is $14 something a pound (can't recall the exact amount), which is significantly less than what Whole Foods charges ($19.99) and one of the lowest prices you'll find around town. John and Adam are also now carrying Old Chatham Sheepherding Co. yogurt and cheeses, and the full line of pre-packaged Artisanal cheeses, including Grassias from Texas. For those interested in high-quality tuna, I recommend the Tonino brand they carry, which they've priced, again, significantly less than what Whole Foods charges.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
only recently stepped in to the store, first time since renovation, lovely store, it's cozy and has charm!
reminds me of manhatten's Amish Markets. Such a nice atmosphere they've created !

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »