Author Topic: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th  (Read 24985 times)

Offline David_M

• Citizen
    • blog, audio, video, & stuff
Re: Lemon Farm mini Gourmet market on 78th/37th
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 03:34:44 PM »
UPDATE

I went back to the shop yet again this afternoon; this time for some artisan bread. Selecting a package that looked interesting, some clues presented themselves.

Chatting with the very affable owner (I assume it is his wife and son who also staff the store), I learned that most of the foreign-looking labels on products there are Turkish. The family’s from Turkey!

He also said this pita bread I bought was fabulous, and that if it got a little stale in a couple of days, 3 minutes in the oven would return it to excellent form.

Hello. We have a Turkish. Market. In. Jackson. Heights.
David_M in JH @ 35th
• Facebook •

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
Wow...Really nice and reasonably priced. This is definitely a welcomed addition.!

Offline jhteacher

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
They have good prices too!  The same Chevre cheese I buy at the supermarket was $1 less there.  Thanks for posting this.

Offline jsh

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
Looking forward to checking out this store, but, FYI, Compare Foods supermarket on Northern carries Plugra (and I think Kerrygold, but I prefer Plugra).

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
i believe the the polish deli also carries it. monika, the former incarnation, did. and also one or two polish analogs.

Offline Beech Court

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
I'll bet all those baskets hanging from the ceiling aren't just for decoration.
Does that give anyone ideas?
I also channel Gladys Gilbert!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
I know I've seen these baskets like this in another store--- I think in this area... I think it's "a thing"

Offline jimbo in jhts

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
Anew addition to the neighborhood!  Yahoo....very good fresh fruits and vegetables.  Prices are less than the supermarket ( Clam shell organic wild arugula is $3.99, organic milk is $4.99) a good selection of olive oils, pastas ( De Cecco and specialty brands) Greek and Turkish specialties - taramasalata, dolma, pita breads, coffee beans.  The people are nice and the place is charming and clean!  Not a true gourmet store but definitely an improvement on what is in the neighborhood.  Lets all support them and shop there. Good luck Lemon Tree!!

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
Um, since we've gone to the trouble of moving this thread to the Restaurants & Food section, I guess we should correct the title as well? The name of the establishment is Lemon FARM, not Lemon Tree.   :)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
[Thanks StevenGrey. Correction made.]

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
The owner of Lemon Farm is open to stocking higher-quality food items not found in other neighborhood stores. I asked him to carry Bee Raw Honey (http://beeraw.com/) and he got it in within a week and is selling each bottle in the line for only $9.99, which is 50 percent less than what some stores in Manhattan are charging. I have also put him in contact with the folks from Z Crackers (http://www.savorypie.com/) and Artisanal Cheese (www.artisanalcheese.com; the company has a grab-and-go line) and I'm hoping he will carry their products as well. I encourage everyone to support this store and these products, specifically, as the owner is a potential agent for culinary change in the neighborhood. The more we demonstrate that their is demand for the aforementioned items and others like them, the more quickly he will add them to the store's shelves. I will report back about any new items he stocks.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
a very nice store run by very nice people.

but "potential agent for culinary change" makes it sound like one must go to a gated door at the back and give the password in order to get the Obtanium needed to battle the forces of evil

;D

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »
my only complaint is that it's too small! they have such a good selection of stuff, I wish there were more room for them to select.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
Yes, it's a really nice place, and I like that they carry all these European products. Cheery Farms -- which used to be next to Jan's on 37th Ave and also run by Turkish owners -- used to carry similar products until they decided to turn into a regular bodega and went downhill from there.

Nice addition, no doubt!

@Jeff re: baskets: Mi Tierras started using them after the renovation a couple of years ago, and just recently C-Town did, too. So they are definitely in fashion.

Offline Ben

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »
Lemon Farm is now carrying four cheeses from Artisanal Premium Cheese (www.artisanalcheese.com): an aged gouda, a camenbert, a tomme fermier d'alsace and geit en stad. This is the only store I'm aware of in all of Queens that carries Artisanal's pre-packed line. Artisanal is one of the two or three top cheese sellers in the U.S., along with Zingerman's in Ann Arbor and Murray's in NYC. I strongly encourage Jackson Heights residents to try these cheeses. They are far better examples of gouda and camenbert, for example, than you will find in the supermarket. The more we demonstrate that their is demand for these types of food products here, the more interesting and esoteric ones he will order. Artisanal offers many more pre-packaged cheeses but their salesman wanted to start  with some easily accessible ones. John, the owner, is also hoping to stock Eli's and Z Crackers in the coming weeks, both of which will be a nice change from the ubiquitous Carr's that every store sells. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »