Author Topic: Best Sandwiches  (Read 20862 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: Best Sandwiches
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
I am shocked that El Sitio made this list their cubanos are tired and tasteless!  So far I have not found a restaurant in NYC that makes great cubanos.  The best cubano I have ever had in my life was from Miami's Enriqueta's and since I can't afford to fly down to Miami whenever I need a cubano fix I bought a sandwich press and make my own.  The two most important parts of the cubano is the pernil (pork roast) which should be marinated overnight with sofrito and spices and slow roasted and pan de manteca (bread made with lard)   :smitten:

I agree with you about the El Sitio sandwich.  Even the photo looks unappealing.  I also agree that Miami is probably the best place for a good Cubano. Believe me... hubby and I have searched the tri-state area high and low, and we have yet to discover any cafe/luncheonette serving a sandwich worth a second trip.  There used to be a fabulous place in Washington Heights, but I can't remember the name right now.  That was also a while back, so I'm not sure if they're still in business.  Their Cubanos coupled with a batido de fruta bomba were to die for!!  And I've never been a huge papaya fan.

Believe it or not, there's one place that hubby and I go to when the Cubano mood kicks in.  It's a pan-Latin restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn called Bogota Latin Bistro.  The sandwich is not entirely authentic, but it's probably the closest we've come to a nice attempt at a Cubano.  The pork has that marinated flavor and is juicy and tender.  So, even if you like sandwich de carne de puerco (lechon), you'd like this one.

Here's a pic of the Cubano from Bogota Latin Bistro.  In actuality, the sandwich is much larger than what appears in the photo, and we've never had it served with lettuce.  Nice sandwich nonetheless.

Sandwich @ Bogota Latin Bistro

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:42:31 PM by Chuckster »
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »
I used to work on 121st and Broadway in Manhattan and I used to go to Floridita (Cuban and Dominican cuisine) on 126 and Broadway and they had very good Cuban sandwiches.  Not as good as the ones I got on La Calle Ocho in Miami but pretty good.  That being said I won't make a special trip to either place just to get a good Cuban sandwich.  We should have a good one available in JH.

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
I was discussing Cuban sandwiches at work with one of my Cuban Buddies this afternoon and he told me that Rincon Criollo on Junction just south of Roosevelt has really good Cuban food and sandwiches.  I am going to try one soon and report back.

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:18 PM »
I adore Rincon Criollo, though I have never tried their sandwiches. Their pork is excellent, I love their rice and beans, and mmm... now I'm totally in the mood to go back. It's been too long.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
I used to work on 121st and Broadway in Manhattan and I used to go to Floridita (Cuban and Dominican cuisine) on 126 and Broadway and they had very good Cuban sandwiches.  Not as good as the ones I got on La Calle Ocho in Miami but pretty good.  That being said I won't make a special trip to either place just to get a good Cuban sandwich.  We should have a good one available in JH.

I used to work at 137th and Broadway, and fondly remember La Flor de Broadway / El Rey del Sandwich.  Unfortunately, I never made it to Floridita (which may not survive Columbia's expansion).

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
Just got back from Legends and had the "signature special" sandwich....fantastic...grilled chicken, peppers, bacon, chipotle on a chewy Portuguese roll.. Plus it's as big as a football, so I have the other half for lunch tomorrow!
- MW

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »
I had this great pork sandwich near the Sunday greenmarket...for $5

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
sara under the 7 did a post on serious eats about cemitas.
she went to some of the big dogs.
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/06/searching-for-cemitas.html

does anyone have any experience on ones other than here? the only one ive been to elsewise is el sol. which was not bad. my fav so far is from mi buella puebla.

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
sara under the 7 did a post on serious eats about cemitas.
she went to some of the big dogs.
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/06/searching-for-cemitas.html

does anyone have any experience on ones other than here? the only one ive been to elsewise is el sol. which was not bad. my fav so far is from mi buella puebla.

I am always disappointed with the buns and pick the delicious goodies out from between them.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »
yeah, the buns/rolls are kind of an acquired taste, a little....chalky or dry or something. i usually start deconstructing partway through as well.

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »
In the Serious Eats article, Sara Under the 7 mentions Panaderia Coatzingo. I've never been in there, but am curious to know if they bake their breads on premises. Does any bakery in JH (besides Cannelle)?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
I like the sandwiches at Iavarone Bros. located on the corner of 69th Street and Grand Avenue in Maspeth.  They specialize in Italian heroes and fresh, hot/cold pasta and antipasta platters.  We've purchased the 3 ft. Godfather heroes for parties, and they've always been a hit with our guests.  Iavarone also has a nice selection of fresh meats/chicken/sausages and also offers butcher services.

Have you been back to Iavarone Bros. lately?  I was just reading the reviews on Yelp and thought I might try to check the place out sometime.  Anyone else been?  http://www.yelp.com/biz/iavarone-bros-quality-foods-maspeth-2

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
Have you been back to Iavarone Bros. lately?  I was just reading the reviews on Yelp and thought I might try to check the place out sometime.  Anyone else been?  http://www.yelp.com/biz/iavarone-bros-quality-foods-maspeth-2

Yes, I have!  If you stop by, try the quinoa salad... It's delicious! They'll let you try a taste before purchasing.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 11:25:32 PM »
Reviving this old thread because of this important news...

Robert Sietsema Is Going on a Mission to Find NYC’s Best Sandwiches

Do we have any to nominate from Jackson Heights or elsewhere in Queens?

My personal favorites include: Kati rolls from Tawa Foods (to be honest, it's been a while, and I don't know if they still make these), Lomo Saltado sandwich at Juanita's, and Ramen Burger in LIC.  What are your picks?

Here's Yelp's list.

If you're confused about what might count as a sandwich, please see this helpful website.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »
Katie Honan has a Google map of all her and her friend's fav sandwich places in NYC

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7135773,-74.0989267,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1Sn0IWAqJtCUCnnXWCbaoVjko4SY?hl=en

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »