Author Topic: Best Sandwiches  (Read 20596 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Re: Best Sandwiches
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »
The New York Times dissects the Vietnamese classic, Banh Mi.  There's also an accompanying cool graphic called Banh Mi, Unstacked.

The New York Times
Building on Layers of Tradition
By JULIA MOSKIN
Published: April 7, 2009

FRED HUA’S banh mi pho does not look like a cultural revolution. But in its juicy, messy way, it is. Served at Nha Toi in Brooklyn, where he is the chef and owner, banh mi pho is stuffed with the ingredients for pho, the sacred soup of Vietnam: beef scented with star anise and cinnamon, fresh basil and crunchy bean sprouts.

“I could never get away with this in San Jose,” said Mr. Hua, referring to the city with a large Vietnamese-American community in Northern California, where he grew up. “New York has a history of being open to creative ideas.”

At 31, Mr. Hua is part of a rising generation of American cooks of Vietnamese descent who are tinkering with a once-rigid culinary tradition.

They start by reinventing the banh mi — the classic street-vendor Vietnamese-French sandwich. They are taking it back to its roots with house-cured meats that blend French, Vietnamese and Chinese influences, but also nudging it forward with cross-cultural fillings (Polish sausage), local breads (crisp rolls from Parisi Bakery in Little Italy), and American influences like the sloppy Joe.

“My mother worked so hard to recreate the flavors of Vietnam in America,” said Vinh Nguyen, the 29-year-old owner of Silent H, a few blocks away from Nha Toi. “We are doing it our way, but with respect.”

If you haven’t tried a classic banh mi, imagine all the cool, salty, crunchy, moist and hot contrasts of a really great bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. Then add a funky undertone of pork liver and fermented anchovy, a gust of fresh coriander and screaming top notes of spice, sweetness and tang.

[Click on above link for complete article.]
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
Anybody tried Baoguette in Gramercy?  I've been eating there a few times a week since they opened.  Really love it! 

Would love to have a banh mi place in JH (are there any in Elmhurst?), but they need to sell volume to make money.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
There's a short discussion on the banh mi served at Thai Son in Elmhurst.

Vietnamese Restaurants
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »
Anybody tried Baoguette in Gramercy?  I've been eating there a few times a week since they opened.  Really love it!

Believe it or not, I was on line there at precisely the moment that you wrote that message!

I've been there twice so far.  The "Baoguette" was yummy, but I was less thrilled with the "Sloppy Bao".  I'll try the catfish next time I get there. 

I've also been enjoying the not-quite-banh-mi sandwiches at Vanessa's dumplings at 14th & 3rd.  Sort of a greasier, cheaper version but so very good.

My favorite Manhattan sandwich of the moment is the Slow-Roasted Pork at 'Wichcraft.

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 01:42:54 AM »
I forgot to mention in my previous post that Cannelle, over by the Waldbaum's mall, is also serving sandwiches. 

I agree with Chuckster, Cannelle should not be overlooked.  Granted their main purpose in life is to destroy any diet you might be on by tempting you with their unbelievable sweets, but their sandwiches are not to be slighted.  I've enjoyed their salami and provolone, their quiche and their excellent variation on the traditional grilled cheese.  Enjoy, but make sure you leave room for dessert.   :P

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:35 AM »
Believe it or not, I was on line there at precisely the moment that you wrote that message!

I've been there twice so far.  The "Baoguette" was yummy, but I was less thrilled with the "Sloppy Bao".  I'll try the catfish next time I get there. 

That's pretty funny!  I usually get the "Baoguette" because it's a deal at $5 for the quality of the ingredients.  I have had the catfish...it's tasty and has quite a bit of fish in it.  The marinade isn't that special...I think it's the yellow Thai curry paste that comes out of the plastic pot.  But still good.

FYI, the place next door ("Latin Thing" or something like that) has a decent pernil sandwich.  I'll have to try Vanessa's.  Greasy and cheap is my usual MO for lunch!

Offline Metsboy

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
The best deli sandwich (Italian) is at "Mama's" (aka;Leo's Latticini) in Corona.  Home of the NY Mets to. Don't be surprised if you run into a Met player. There sandwiches are huge and delicious.  The hero's are huge but, worth the trip.  They also sell all types of Italian meats and make homemade mozzarella and next door is an Italian bakery and a pasta store.  Mama's is not open late so, call before going. :D

Leo's Latticini (Mama's). is located in Corona 4602 104th St Queens, NY (718) 898-6069.

After you had your sandwich take a stroll to 108th Street for some ices to
Lemon Ice King of Corona
52-02 108th St

No doubt,,,Mama's ..its been there for over 50 years..right down the block from St Leo's
Sal's in Astoria is number 2...then you have Cherry Valley out in Whitestone

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
i got the bahn mi at thai son. it was just curry chicken on a hero. i don't know, nothing exciting. i thought htey all had pate in them, but nooooo. maybe bahn mi just means hero.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »
Jeff:  Next time try the cold banh mi sandwich, and ask for it spicy.  It's not on the menu, but if I recall correctly, it's posted on the wall.  It's made with pork cold cuts, pate, various pickled vegetables, and hot sauce.  It's more typical than the curry chicken sandwich you had.

Offline cupcakeparade

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
my landlord who lives in jackson heights actually owns at least one, possibly two, banh mi places in manhattan. the one i know about is called saigon, www.vietnamese-sandwich.com.

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
French Quarter Muffalettas but alias the only place to find these is in my kitchen.  Jackson Heights lacks a good deli!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
What exactly is a "French Quarter Muffaletta"?

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »
   Central Grocery in New Orleans is famous for this amazing sandwich which consists of mortadella, ham, salami, hot capicola, provolone cheese and olive salad which really makes this sandwich so special, all this is layered onto a large round rustica or peasant bread which is wrap tightly and weighted down for a few hours then cut into wedges .... hummmmmm a slice of HEAVEN!!!!!  I plan to make a large one today to take on our fishing trip up the Hudson tomorrow so even if the stripe bass aren't biting we will have a belly full of these wonderful muffulettas :smitten:.  Here's the recipe.............http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/17/muffuletta-sandwich-recipe

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
   Central Grocery in New Orleans is famous for this amazing sandwich which consists of mortadella, ham, salami, hot capicola, provolone cheese and olive salad which really makes this sandwich so special, all this is layered onto a large round rustica or peasant bread which is wrap tightly and weighted down for a few hours then cut into wedges .... hummmmmm a

DAMN!
Wrong topic to read....Now I have the munchies!!!
Time is running out!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »