Author Topic: Best Sandwiches  (Read 20597 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Best Sandwiches
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:30:47 PM »
Stuck inside several other threads is a great discussion about sandwiches yearning to break free!

So here's a thread where it can take place.

What are the best (non-burger) sandwiches in JH, Queens, and the world?

Here's some food for thought...

1. Esquire's article on America's best sandwiches.

2. A quirky documentary, Sandwiches That You Will Like.  Wikipedia has a list of the film's featured sandwiches

What are your favorites?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:33:59 AM by toddg »

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Re: Best Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »
Scattered across the board, we've had several recommendations for where to get Cuban sandwiches (cubanos).  Here's a quick review...

• I recommend the cubano at Seba Seba, although I think I would now upgrade this from "very good" to "excellent"

Any other suggestions?

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
I like the sandwiches at Iavarone Bros. located on the corner of 69th Street and Grand Avenue in Maspeth.  They specialize in Italian heroes and fresh, hot/cold pasta and antipasta platters.  We've purchased the 3 ft. Godfather heroes for parties, and they've always been a hit with our guests.  Iavarone also has a nice selection of fresh meats/chicken/sausages and also offers butcher services.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
I forgot to mention in my previous post that Cannelle, over by the Waldbaum's mall, is also serving sandwiches.  They have tuna, Genoa Salami, dijon and Provolone and the newest one is the fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwich.

So far, I've tried the Genoa Salami sandwich and thought it was very good. By the way, they also serve quiche.  If you order the quiche, ask them to warm it up for you.  It's delicious!

Offline Christine76

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
A couple of my favorites that come to mind:

The paninis at Il Bambino in Astoria (31st Ave)
Also, I love the sandwiches (and soups and salads) at the Blue Dog Coffee Co on 25th St. and 6th Ave in Manhattan - everything is so fresh, sandwiches and salads are creative and the soup is amazing! 

Offline NYCMacUser

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »
On Astorians we have an Astorians Sandwich Society (ASS) that doesn't meet frequently any longer as we seem to exhausted our resources. ASS members are all sandwich lovers who like to experience all kinds off different pleasures stuck between delicious breads and rolls.

My personal favorite place is:
Sal, Kris & Charlie's Deli
3312 23rd Avenue
Astoria N 11105
718-278-9240

Their BOMB made the Esquire's article on America's best sandwiches. But my favorite is their fresh mozzarella (while it's still warm) and prosciutto with the fixin's. But be prepared to wait in line. Around noon the place gets really jammed up. All the local cops, ConEd, fire, DOT parking and sanitation folks double and triple park their cars and trucks and even use the sidewalk, to pick up orders for groups back at their locations, and every limo driver in the neighborhood gathers there for their orders! But it is so well worth the wait. Those sandwiches are HUGE. Pick up a small bag of chips and you've got lunch and dinner.

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »
On Astorians we have an Astorians Sandwich Society (ASS) that doesn't meet frequently any longer as we seem to exhausted our resources. ASS members are all sandwich lovers who like to experience all kinds off different pleasures stuck between delicious breads and rolls.

My personal favorite place is:
Sal, Kris & Charlie's Deli
3312 23rd Avenue
Astoria N 11105
718-278-9240

Their BOMB made the Esquire's article on America's best sandwiches. But my favorite is their fresh mozzarella (while it's still warm) and prosciutto with the fixin's. But be prepared to wait in line. Around noon the place gets really jammed up. All the local cops, ConEd, fire, DOT parking and sanitation folks double and triple park their cars and trucks and even use the sidewalk, to pick up orders for groups back at their locations, and every limo driver in the neighborhood gathers there for their orders! But it is so well worth the wait. Those sandwiches are HUGE. Pick up a small bag of chips and you've got lunch and dinner.

I agree with every said and will add the following.  There is no place where you get bigger or fresher sandwiches.  The bread is also very fresh because they receive two bakery deliveries of bread a day.  Last fall I picked up some sandwiches for a tailgate in the Meadowlands and people couldn't believe the size, quality and price.  I don't know how they turn a profit on the sandwiches.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
I like peanut butter and jelly.  Wheat bread.  But when I'm in the mood for something different, I like Mangia's sandwiches.  Great, crusty bread.  I don't care what's on it as long as it's that bread.
First, do no harm.

Offline NYCMacUser

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:29:02 PM »
When I was a little girl we used to have wish sandwiches. We would wish Mom had some money to buy something to put between the 2 slices of bread!

When my twins were toddlers, getting them to eat was very trying. Every now and then I gave in to their whines. My Mom would call me every day at dinner time and ask what I made the boys for dinner. Should would be so pleased when I would tell her circle steaks. Circle steaks was our code word for bologna sandwiches!

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »
I go to La Flor in Woodside for the grilled chicken/fresh mozzarella/roasted pepper with chipotle mayo. it's really good, it comes with a salad, but you can substitute that with some really good fries! Don't forget to have a hot chocolate afterwards, they make their own blend of chocolate with cinnamon.

Offline Dawnie

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
The best deli sandwich (Italian) is at "Mama's" (aka;Leo's Latticini) in Corona.  Home of the NY Mets to. Don't be surprised if you run into a Met player. There sandwiches are huge and delicious.  The hero's are huge but, worth the trip.  They also sell all types of Italian meats and make homemade mozzarella and next door is an Italian bakery and a pasta store.  Mama's is not open late so, call before going. :D

Leo's Latticini (Mama's). is located in Corona 4602 104th St Queens, NY (718) 898-6069.

After you had your sandwich take a stroll to 108th Street for some ices to
Lemon Ice King of Corona
52-02 108th St

Offline spaceboy

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »
I will totally back up Dawnie on this one... Mama has the best sandwiches I've ever had. And I love the people working there too!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 07:14:28 PM »
The best deli sandwich (Italian) is at "Mama's" (aka;Leo's Latticini) in Corona.  Home of the NY Mets to. Don't be surprised if you run into a Met player. There sandwiches are huge and delicious.  The hero's are huge but, worth the trip.  They also sell all types of Italian meats and make homemade mozzarella and next door is an Italian bakery and a pasta store.  Mama's is not open late so, call before going. :D

Leo's Latticini (Mama's). is located in Corona 4602 104th St Queens, NY (718) 898-6069.

Lemon Ice King of Corona
52-02 108th St

Oh my god.. I forgot about this place.   I LOVE THEIR SANDWICHES.  And I go next door to buy fresh raviolis.  Never saw anyone from the Mets but the entire NY Police Dept and Fire Depts. get their sandwiches there so I know I'm in the right place.

First, do no harm.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:41 PM »
Lemon Ice King of Corona

Dawnie, I love the Lemon Ice King.  :smitten:  We go frequently during hot summer nights and enjoy our ices while watching the bocce ball games and listening to Frank Sinatra tunes.  Sorry.  I went off topic.  We'll definitely have to try Mama's!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 08:04:37 AM »

The New York Times
Dining & Wine
The Next Best Things in Sliced Bread

By JULIA MOSKIN
Published: April 30, 2008

NEW YORK has long been a city of stand-up eaters, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t picky. To make it here, a sandwich has to work overtime, being portable, filling, interesting and tasty.

“What’s better than a really great sandwich?” said Alexandra Raij, the chef at Tía Pol and El Quinto Pino, who is hosting a sandwich potluck for friends at her apartment next week. “Nothing that I’ve ever made.”

It should be noted that Ms. Raij is the inventor of several memorable sandwiches, including one filled with sea urchin and drizzled with fragrant mustard oil. But with all respect to her uni panini, it is not a real New York sandwich. Slim and precise, it lacks the compressed, complete pleasures of the Cuban sandwich, the heft and chew of a fully loaded gyro, the cool crunch of a Vietnamese banh mi. Those three are two-fisted, five-minute complete meals with the kind of flavor and texture contrast available on, say, a seven-course tasting menu at Jean Georges.

A great New York sandwich is large; it contains multitudes. And new contenders are turning up all the time to challenge the mighty meatball parm and the elegant B.L.T. Whether invented, imported, or refined here — whether discovered in the boroughs or farther afield — the seven sandwiches here move the dialogue forward.

The research for this article produced as much regret as revelation, with unrequitable longings for far-away creations like Chicago’s jibarito (steak squeezed between thin, crusty slices of smashed plantain) and extinct species like the chacarero of Jackson Heights, Queens: a Chilean sandwich with a garnish of chopped green beans, the specialty of a bakery that is now closed.

Most of all, the research was extremely filling.

The ground rules: A sandwich had to be composed as such; mere food on bread did not count. (This left out, for example, pan de lomo saltado, a popular Peruvian stir-fry of beef, onions and peppers laced with soy sauce, typically served with French fries, but piled onto a crusty roll for sandwich purposes.)

Burgers and wraps were out of the running, as was the universe of empanadas, samosas, patties and arepas; the same went for any sandwich that had to be eaten inside a restaurant or was otherwise unavailable for travel to a picnic, a ballgame or a playground.

(Follow link for complete article)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 08:04:37 AM »