Author Topic: Best burger & fries in Queens  (Read 30191 times)

Offline eddiestjohns

• Council Member
Re: Best burger & fries in Queens
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
I love Donovan's burgers and their fries.  I have never been to five guys but I definitely want to try it.  Legend's on 35th Avenue also has really good burgers but their fries are only average.  I love Jackson Hole for the great service and breakfast but I agree their hamburgers are good but not great.  Most of the time they fall apart and I end up using a knife and fork

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
So check this out, today I had lunch at Jackson Hole.  Purely for science.  I rarely eat burgers never mind twice in one week.

I forgot how retro and kitschy Jackson Hole is inside... sweet.  But there is no comparison.  Yes, the burgers are fresh (not patties) there, too but they're too damn fat.  And the fries: FROZEN.  And they taste frozen - they're dry inside . Now they have a huge, fun menu so I still think Jackson Hole is a fun place. Plus they serve breakfast all day which I love.

But I got to say - best burger and fries around - especially for a chain: the winner is Five Guys. 

First, do no harm.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
Plus, after stuffing yourself at Five Guys you can detox at InSpa World around the corner.  How can life get better than that?

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »
Plus, after stuffing yourself at Five Guys you can detox at InSpa World around the corner.  How can life get better than that?

Seriously, it doesn't get better than that.
First, do no harm.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:18 PM »
I've never tried one, but I hear that Shake Shack burgers are pretty good.  I remember hearing a rumor last year about Danny Meyer possibly opening a new location at Citifield, the new Mets Stadium.  If that does happen, I wonder if it will only be open to those attending games.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline normelrod

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
About once per summer someone convinces me to go to the Shake Shack.  The burgers are ok there, but definitely not as good as Donovan's in Woodside or Molly's on 3rd Ave and 22nd St in the city or even the Corner Bistro in the Village.  The place just seems way over-hyped to me.  And the wait is outrageous.  Between waiting in line and waiting for my order, I always wait at least an hour at Shake Shack to get my food.  Shake Shack kind of reminds me of the In N Out Burger they have out west, only at 3 times the cost and 10 times the wait, and without the cool secret menu.

Offline orzabelle

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
Hmmm, I always find I'm waiting forever at Corner Bistro, too. The difference is, at least there is a bathroom!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »
The burgers at Jackson Hole are cooked on a grill with a small metal cup covering them creating somewhat of steam effect.  I suppose they cook them that way because they're so thick to begin with.  I've had a few of the burgers, and have also ended up having to use a knife and fork.  In my opinion, that eliminates the fun of eating a burger.  By the way, no grill marks or seared flavor either.  I enjoy the Jackson Hole breakfasts, but the lines can get quite long, especially on weekend mornings.

Guilty pleasure:  White Castle burgers. :embarassed:  In my defense, I haven't had one in a while.

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 01:30:14 AM »
I don't like the burgers at Jackson Hole, but I do like the chopped sirloin with melted cheddar and fried onions. They don't cover it and "steam" it like they do the burgers.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 01:33:38 AM »
Ernie, when I've had the JH burgers, it seems as if I'm eating the chopped sirloin because of the knife and fork!

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
The best burger I've had in Jackson heights came from Novo. It's not on their menu anymore, but it was amazing.
I had it about 2 or 3 months ago, I think. If you ask for it, they'll make it for you. It had some mixed herbs in it and was very tasty.
It wasn't overly piled on with toppings either.

But the best burgers in New York in my opinion are at New York Burger Company.
The one I frequent is on 6th Avenue and 21st street in Chelsea.
I always get the Seattle burger. Sometimes the fries can be soggy, though.
-JH_AB

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
The best burger I've had in Jackson heights came from Novo. It's not on their menu anymore, but it was amazing.
I had it about 2 or 3 months ago, I think. If you ask for it, they'll make it for you. It had some mixed herbs in it and was very tasty.
It wasn't overly piled on with toppings either.

But the best burgers in New York in my opinion are at New York Burger Company.
The one I frequent is on 6th Avenue and 21st street in Chelsea.
I always get the Seattle burger. Sometimes the fries can be soggy, though.

I still haven't been inside Novo.  I'm waiting to live here another 20 years I guess.  And I can't go into Manhattan FOR ANYTHING unless I have friends visiting from out of town.  But in the City so many pubs and places have great burgers.  Too many to try them all. See that's never the issue for me... finding a great place in the City.  It's finding it here, close to home, where you can park a car effortlessly.  At least for me that's the challenge.  The bus/train people have a different challenge, I suppose.  They have to go into the City just to try Five Guys since it's too difficult to get to by public trans.  And burgers are easier to make good than fries.  Fries gotta be fresh potatoes and the oil has to be good quality in order to pass the test.  So Spanishfish NY Burger Co..... soggy fries.... I don't know.
First, do no harm.

judibean

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »
I'm a fan of Jackson Hole burgers, but only the ones in Manhattan.  They make them pretty tasteless here in Queens.
I don't know why they would prep them any differently since they're a chain.  Donovan's gets my vote for best burger in Queens.  I don't like their fries though.

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »
The fries at NY Burger are cut fresh with every order, so I'm not exactly sure the reason they come out soggy somtimes (and, it's only been once or twice). All I know is that when I eat the burgers there, I don't feel guilty (like I would at McD's...) all the toppings are perfectly prepared and it's not greasy at all. It all tastes very fresh.

But anyway, you should try Novo's burger, since it's here and it's good.
-JH_AB

Offline yt28

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
I love Five Guys!! It's a small chain from DC/Virginia which was where I got exposed to the wonder of free unlimited toppings on burgers. I was so excited when it moved here. To be fair I've never been to the one at College Point but they have opened at least two locations in Manhattan, one just 2 blocks away from the E line at Lex/53rd. The cajun fries are excellent too. Did I mention free toppings? Oh, did I also mention free peanuts while you wait?!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »