Author Topic: It's My Park Day in Travers Park 2008  (Read 6584 times)

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
It's My Park Day in Travers Park 2008
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »
Summer Sundays in the Park - 2008.
Most shows begin at 4 p.m. at Travers Park, 34th Avenue, between 77th and 78th Streets

*June 1:  AudraRox, high-energy rock for kids,
and Astrograss, bluegrass and folk for families

*June 8:  Falu, rock and raga,
and Laura Cantrell and band (folk and country)

*June 22:  Swedish Cottage Marionettes, "Cinderella Samba" - Sponsor: City Parks Foundation

*June 29:  Lucia Pulido Ensemble (experimental take on traditional Colombian song) - from Carnegie Hall Neighborhood Concert Series,
plus 2008 Grammy nominee Hector Martignon and his band, Latin Jazz

*Aug. 24: "It's the Economy, Stupid" the newest musical satire from Theater for the New City

And don’t forget:
Family Fun / It’s My Park Day - Saturday morning, May 17.
Sponsored by Friends of Travers Park (a branch of the Jackson Heights Beautification Group) and the Queens Community House.

Fun for the whole family, including performances by bands from P.S. 69, I.S. 145 and I.S. 230, arts and crafts activities, soccer, story time, face painting, and more!

Visit www.itsmypark.org to learn more about It's My Park Day events citywide.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:44:14 AM by toddg »

Offline kiani222

• Tourist
Re: It's My Park Day in Travers Park 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »
Does anyone know if they still need someone to volunteer for storytelling at Travers Park Family Day?  My husband REALLY wants the job!  Can anyone direct me to the proper contact?  Thanks so much!

Kiani

Offline aandrews

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
Friends of Travers Park and Queens Community House are organizing a free Family Fun Day at Travers Park from 11 am to 2 pm as part of the citywide It's My Park! Day celebrations on Saturday, May 17. The event will kick off at 11:00 a.m. with a performance by the percussion ensemble from I.S. 145.   Local community groups and neighborhood residents will lead a day of free activities, including arts and crafts projects, face painting, story time in English, Spanish and Bengali, music time for young children, a soccer clinic, a tennis clinic, a Spanish workshop, composting demonstration, performance by P.S. 69's band, and much more!  There will also be clean up and plantings at the park.

Jackson Heights residents are also invited to attend the It's My Park! Day activities at the Queens Museum of Art later that afternoon.  The artist collective U.C.N.Y.C. will present a mixed media art collective piece featuring a street musical puppet show and a DJ and VJ set.  Free music and drinks will be served.   Music starts at 2 pm in front of the Queens Museum of Art.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
From JHFamilies Listserv, here is a schedule for It's My Park Day:

11:00 I.S. 145 Percussion Ensemble
        Quilting (Brownie Troop #4272 and JH Early Learning Center)

11:30 Running Races (St. Joan of Arc Youth Council)

12:00 Music Together (Puppet Theater)
        Decorate your own flower pot

12:30 Music Time (JH Early Learning Center)
        Story Time-English (Puppet theater)

1:00 Soccer Clinic (Super Soccer Stars)
       Spanish Workshop (Easy Español)
       Decorate your own pinwheel

1:30 P.S. 69 Band Performance
       Story Time-Spanish (Puppet theater)

2:00 Tennis clinic
       Story Time-Bengali (Puppet theater)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
Just a reminder about today's music in Travers Park, starting at 4pm:

Lucia Pulido Ensemble
Carnegie Hall presents a free neighborhood concert by this Colombian singer, who applies the traditional styles of her native country to more modern, experimental music. Her backup sextet includes clarinet, bass, guitar, voice and plenty of percussion, of course.

plus 2008 Grammy nominee Hector Martignon and his band, playing Latin Jazz.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:46 PM »
Coming this Sunday...

Theater for the New City
2008 ANNUAL SUMMER STREET THEATER TOUR

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!
or
THE TURNING POINT

Sunday, August 24th - 2PM
Travers Park at 34th Avenue between 77th & 78th Streets

Theater for the New City's award-winning Street Theater Company opens its 32nd annual tour August 2 with "It's the Economy Stupid! or The Turning Point,"  a rip-roaring musical which will tour City streets, parks and playgrounds throughout the five boroughs through September 14. The production, free to all New Yorkers, has book, lyrics and direction by Crystal Field and musical score composed by David Tice.  The piece recounts the New Yorkization of the misfit angel Gabriel, who rides earthward on a bad dream to warn the inhabitants that the fate of their planet is in their hands.  He must overcome the villainous Electric Man, messenger of the Dark Force, and save the world.

ABOUT TNC STREET THEATER
TNC's award-winning Street Theater always contains an elaborate assemblage of trap doors, giant puppets, smoke machines, masks, original choreography and a huge (9' x 12') running screen or "cranky" providing continuous movement behind the actors.  The company of 27 actors, twelve crew members, two assistant directors and five live musicians shares the challenge of performing outside and holding a large, non-captive audience.  The music varies in style from Bossa Nova to Gilbert & Sullivan.  Complex social issues are often presented through children's allegories, with children as the heroes, making these free productions a popular form of family entertainment.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:46 PM »