Author Topic: Are there any Brooklyn-like bars in Jackson Heights?  (Read 11779 times)

Offline fargo

• Tourist
Are there any Brooklyn-like bars in Jackson Heights?
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
I live in JH but always go back to the city or to Brooklyn to go out  - is there any hipster type place in Jackson Heights yet?

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
Re: Are there any Brooklyn-like bars in Jackson Heights?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
nope.

you'd have to trek to LIC or astoria for that. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »
or just a few blocks into woodside for some nice irish bars with a young, fun crowd.

Offline fargo

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
How do we change that?  It's a beautiful neighborhood but nothing to do socially for former Manhattanites & Brooklynites.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:28 AM »
open one then.

Offline erospolitico

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
This is not a hipster neighborhood, and hopefully never will be a hipster neighborhood.

There is a place for everything, and Jackson Heights is not the place.

I am a lifelong resident and fairly young, as I have expressed in past posts on this site, it is unfair that hipsters are trying to gentrify the neighborhood.

We are a historical neighborhood, yet cheaper than Manhattan and Brooklyn, I really wish that newcomers would not try to change our neighborhood.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
I really wish that newcomers would not try to change our neighborhood.

It's great that most folks seem to define "newcomers" as anyone who got here after me. I'm sure that the original residents of this neighborhood felt exatly the same way. You can count the businesses that have been open for more than 20 years on one hand, I've been here about 10 and the number of "new" businesses that have opened is astounding, even if they are, typically, the same kind of business that was in the location prior.

Wish all you might, as (I think?) Voltaire said, the only thing permanent is change.

Nope, not Voltaire. Originally attributed to Heraclitus, reiterated by Rouchefoucould...

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
I live in JH but always go back to the city or to Brooklyn to go out  - is there any hipster type place in Jackson Heights yet?

btw, how would you define a "hipster type place"?  To me it is more then crowd than the actual place. 

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
btw, how would you define a "hipster type place"?  To me it is more then crowd than the actual place. 

I had the same question...if you go to a neighborhood bar like "Legends" you see all sorts of people there on a weekend evening.  A "hipster-type" place would probably attract the same diverse crowd in JH, and then maybe the hipsters wouldn't really like it.

In other threads I've posted reasons why JH is likely immune or resistant to serious gentrification.  That said, anybody know why there aren't more neighborhood places opening up like e77 or Table Wine (the only two Brooklyn-like places in JH)?

There are multiple award-winning chefs living in JH.  There are people with money.  Rent is high in other neighborhoods too.  Our farmers market gets bigger and bigger.  It seems that the following types of places would do very well here:

• Restaurant with updated American classics : i.e. Bare Burger or Queens Kickshaw
  • A beer garden
  • Fine American / European dining but not too expensive: i.e. Quaint, Salt&Fat, M. Wells
  • More pubs
  • specialty places that focus on doing one or two things really well, i.e. Tortilleria Nixtamal or the late Timmy O's

Obviously the market could get saturated quickly, but one or two that did things well would probably make a killing.  I worked as a line cook for awhile at these types of restaurants and would never want to be involved with the food industry again, but where are the entrepreneurs with interesting ideas?

Offline schollie

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
I definitely think the neighborhood could use more bars, though labels like "hipster" and "Brooklyn-like" make me squirm. I would just really love a non-sports bar/lounge in the area.  And though I've had tons of fun at bars like Friends and Hombres, it would be nice if there were more choices for straight JHers too.  The lack of nightlife is my only complaint about the area, but it's a big one. 

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Anybody got any hipster jokes? I only have two:

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

The number's too obscure for you to have heard of yet.

Why did the hipster burn his mouth eating pizza?

Because he ate it WAY before it was cool....

Offline schollie

• Tourist

Offline zubloop

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
For the kind of bar some of you are looking for check out Terraza. It is the kind of place you find in the hip neighborhoods of Buenos Aires and Mexico City, and the LES. Yes, Spanish is the dominant language, but even if you have no Spanish, the young, artsy crowd speaks perfect English. It's easy to strike up conversations, enjoy the nightly music and pretty regular readings. Things really get going late, but I've had lots of fun here on the early side. I'm married, but I can also tell you that the women aren't shy if that's a factor for you.

What I love about this neighborhood is that it is definitely resistant to the kind of blanket gentrification that has gone down in Brooklyn, or even Astoria. Walk down 30th Avenue between Steinway and 31st Street and it looks like Bedford Avenue.

But I also agree that the demand is here for some of the types of places listed above, like Bare Burger or a exposed-wood wine bar. I don't want scores of these places, but one or two would do gangbusters.

Maybe we'll get something cool in the vacant corner spot on 37th at 81st (I think).

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
...or a exposed-wood wine bar. I don't want scores of these places, but one or two would do gangbusters.

Claret in Sunnyside is nice....

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »