Author Topic: Writing / Creative Co-working group Meetup?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline NYCWriter

• Tourist
Writing / Creative Co-working group Meetup?
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Anyone interested in doing something like this in the neighborhood?

http://www.meetup.com/shutupandwriteNYC/

Shut Up and Write! Meetup is a venue for writers to work in the company of other writers on a regular basis. Writing, whether approached as a profession or as an avocation, is an isolating activity. We provide this forum, writing resources and meeting times as a method of developing a community of creative people. We welcome people who are serious about ‘writing down the bones’ and are looking for the companionship of other writers.

Meetup Format
Making the time to write one hour per week is an empowering and ultimately rewarding experience but it needs to serve as the foundation of your daily discipline. There will then be some social time to get to know each other and possibly discuss personal writing successes such as getting published or overcoming writing resistance in some small way. No critiquing, exercises, lectures, ego, competition or feeling guilty.

Offline lindsey

• Activist
Re: Writing / Creative Co-working group Meetup?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
Love this idea!

Offline SamInNY

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
are you only interested in meeting with other creative writers? i have academic writing projects, and might benefit from this kind of group.

Offline mkn567

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
This sounds interesting. Not sure how exactly it'll work. Writing is a solitary pursuit, and while collaborative brainstorming can alleviate some of the stresses of writers-block and feelings of aloness, it's often difficult for writers, who live and breath in a world of their own making, to acquiesce to the direct influence of others.

Personally, i'm open to all genres of writing if for no other reason than it being a good excercise in stepping out of a comfort zone, but i do prefer fiction.

Offline NYCWriter

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
If you've got academic writing, I'm sure it's fine.

I don't really envision a collaborative writing meetup. It's just a meetup to work on your own projects side by side with others who are working on their own stuff. If you want to discuss stuff, that's fine; if not that's fine too.

The idea is that by having a designated meetup, it forces you to engage with your creative work, even (or especially) when you tend to procrastinate otherwise.

Offline itsjustme

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
I think it's a great idea. A friend and I meet once a week, bring our laptops, and write for an hour or two (we built in a mid-point break so we don't get sidelined by chatting). It's a great way to stay motivated. Let me know if you move forward with this idea, I'd be up for it.

Offline SamInNY

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
what day of the week did you have in mind?  and where? the meetup you linked to meets in starbucks -- in which case it would have to be at a time when it's not too crowded. (the other neighborhood spots are small, so timing would be even more important if you want to meet at E77 or JuJu's or Lety's.) I'm not sure when that is, since I don't spend enough time in any of the local cafes to have a sense.

If a weekday, I vote for late morning Mondays (10? 11?), since I know I won't generally be on campus that day at least in the fall (just to start the ball rolling!).

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »