Author Topic: Filipino Restaurants  (Read 5274 times)

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
Filipino Restaurants
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »
There's a great little cluster of Filipino restaurants along Roosevelt Avenue just on the other side of the BQE.  Has anybody explored over there?  I would imagine that they've all been struggling a bit with all of the construction that has been going on over there.

Today, Pinkabet Detective reviews Ihawan.  I've been there and it's quite a scene -- a big room packed with big families.  No frills, just cheap and yummy grilled meats.  I really liked it, although its upstairs location has prevented me from returning with a stroller, so I haven't been back in a few years.  Lately I've been enjoying Perlas ng Silangan.

Here's what folks on Yelp have to say about the Filipino restaurants.   What do you think?

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
Re: Filipino Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
Jollibee, "The Philippines No. 1 Fast Food Chain," will soon be opening at 62-29 Roosevelt Ave. in Woodside.  Along with Jollibee will also be a Red Ribbon Bakeshop, another popular Filipino chain.

Here's more about Jollibee and Red Ribbon from Wikipedia.   Wikipedia also has a good description of the Woodside "Little Manila" district.

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
Filipino Food ?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
Curious if anyone out there has a suggestion on any good Filipino restaurants in the area ? I know there's a few on Roosevelt Ave. near 69th St. But am not versed enough in Filipino cuisine to know what's good and what's bad.
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
Re: Filipino Food ?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
I've been to both Renee's & Ihawan for take out most often BBQ (Pork & Chicken).  I have limited knowledge of Filipino Cusine.  However, I met someone who is from the Phillipines and his favorite is Engeline's at 58-28 Roosevelt Ave.  This is also a favorite of a couple that I know who have enjoyed this type of cusine for years and have been to most of the Filipino Restaurants in the area.  Do a search.  When you search see if you can find the Restaurant Review that Gothamist did around mid 2007 with photos soon after the restaurant opened.   I hope you get other responses. 

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
Jollibee, "The Philippines No. 1 Fast Food Chain," will soon be opening at 62-29 Roosevelt Ave. in Woodside.  Along with Jollibee will also be a Red Ribbon Bakeshop, another popular Filipino chain.

Here's more about Jollibee and Red Ribbon from Wikipedia.   Wikipedia also has a good description of the Woodside "Little Manila" district.

According to The New York Times, Jollibee has finally opened this weekend in Woodside.

The New York Times
Fast Food for the Filipino Soul
By MARK FOGGIN
Published: February 13, 2009

IT’S the rare neighborhood of mom-and-pop shops that actually welcomes a fast-food joint. But for months, the Filipino-American community centered in Woodside, Queens, has been eagerly awaiting the opening of a Filipino food-chain restaurant called Jollibee, and describing its dishes in breathless, almost reverent tones.

“This is the taste of my childhood,” said Emma Ilagan, a 36-year-old customer service representative for Verizon Wireless who left the Philippines when she was 21.

“Until now, you have to go to California for Chickenjoy,” she added, referring to the chain’s popular dish of fried chicken, gravy and rice.

Or as Natasha Starkey, a conservatory student, said last month when she dropped off an application for a part-time job, “This is Filipino soul food.”

Jollibee, the dominant fast-food chain in the Philippines, where it has more than 600 outlets, is opening the restaurant, its first on the East Coast, this weekend. Its fare is a mix of fast-food staples like burgers and Chickenjoy, along with more regional dishes like smoked bangus, or milkfish — a national symbol of the Philippines — served with vinegar and pepper.

While Filipino-Americans on the West Coast can enjoy these dishes at two dozen Jollibee locations, those in New York have been able to only reminisce about such items. But in late December, an image of the chain’s cheery mascot, a smiling bumblebee sporting a toque, was mounted over the doorway of a former Mexican restaurant at 63rd Street and Roosevelt Avenue, in the shadow of the No. 7 elevated.

[Click above link for entire article.]

The Chuckster has spoken!

judibean

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
So that's what the fuss was all about!  I passed by Jollibee on Sunday and had no clue why there was a line snaking around the entire block for a fast food chain that I'd never heard of!  There were more kids/teens than adults and they were holding a flyer.  Hmmm...maybe they were giving out a free lunch.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
still snaking halfway down the block... It's going to be a while before I get in those doors....
I did go to a really nice ecautorian place next door though. 6.50 for soup, entree w/ rice and plantain, and a can of soda.  lunch.
nice family.

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Goodies First aims for Jollibee, but is deterred by the line and ends up at Sripraphai and Delhi Palace.  Not a bad result!

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
Finally a report from someone who made it inside, courtesy of Serious Eats.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »
There was an article in yesterday's New York Daily News about ethnic fast food restaurants that have found a niche in Queens' diverse neighborhoods.  One of the restaurants, is a popular Filipino bakery called Red Ribbon Bake Shop, located in Woodside.  Bakeries always get my attention, so I googled Red Ribbon and found a site, Red Ribbon BakeShop.  The site revealed more than sweets.  Apart from the usual bakery stuff, Red Ribbon also sells empanadas and pork buns.  Has anyone tried this place yet?

In multi-ethnic Queens, fast food joints reach overseas for cuisine

The above article also makes mention of Wing Stop, a specialty chicken wing fast food restaurant that plans to open in Astoria.  I assume this one is American.  So fast food joints in general seem to be hot in Queens.  Here's the site for Wing Stop.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:16:19 AM »
Thanks for this info.  I walked by Red Ribbon twice, once just before the grand opening, and then a few weeks later when I noticed it was packed!  I was surprised at how fast business picked up for a new place, but now it makes more sense knowing that there were probably many people in the area already familiar with it. 

Are there any really great chains in the countries that our neighbors here in JH are from that we should try to entice to open up here? 

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
ive been going to fritzies on occasion. I dig it. they have lunch there, and also some good empanadas. I've been hearing tito rads is teh best place - on QB and like 50th st.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »
Second on Tito Rad's...the food there is really good.  Terrible location (at the ugly intersection where Roosevelt veers off from Queens Blvd), but not far away.  I can recommend the avocado shake and bitter melon with beef, but have had several good dishes there.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Thanks for this info.  I walked by Red Ribbon twice, once just before the grand opening, and then a few weeks later when I noticed it was packed!  I was surprised at how fast business picked up for a new place, but now it makes more sense knowing that there were probably many people in the area already familiar with it. 

Are there any really great chains in the countries that our neighbors here in JH are from that we should try to entice to open up here? 

I found myself at Red Ribbon Bakery earlier today and felt enticed enough to try their signature mango layer cake.  While I did polish the whole thing off, I'm not so sure if I would buy it again.  It's feathery light, and when I eat cake, I like a good, substantial type of cake.... the kind that sticks to your ribs.   ::)  This definitely was not it.  This cake sort of reminded me of Dominican style cake and also the Valencia Spanish cakes found in Spanish Harlem.  The only difference is that these cakes are denser and more flavorful, IMHO.

Above said, Red Ribbon seems to be a very popular eatery in the community.  It was packed, and by the way, they also sell empanadas, pork buns, in addition to a few other savory dishes.

With respect to Shelby2's question above about ethnic chains, I happened to notice that an Ecuadorian chain called Tropical is also new in Woodside.  That will be my next pit stop.