Author Topic: Express bus from Jackson Heights to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan  (Read 3825 times)

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Good afternoon,

We are here as the QM22 riders and are working to get our Express Bus reinstated. We are working with our elected officials and community officials in Astoria and they have been of great help to us. Although the QM22 is an Astoria issue, the QM22 served Jackson Heights as well and we would like JH'ers to sign our petition demanding the MTA Bus Company reinstate the QM22 Express Bus and run the QM22 Express Bus to Lower Manhattan. To date we have collected around 1000 signatures demanding the reinstatement of the QM22 Express Bus.

Sign our petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/qm22mw/petition.html

Visit and like our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/QM22-Express-Bus/172765819453544

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Re: Express bus from Jackson Heights to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
Good afternoon,

If anyone was interested in signing our petiton but does not feel comfortable placing their address online in our online petition above could now email our staff with their name and their address in order to sign the petition, it will not be placed online and would be placed in our signature database. If you are interested in signing our petition but do not feel comfortable placing your information online please email bounadhanhic@yahoo.com with your name and your address.

Offline Lilybell

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »
Thanks for doing this; I just signed.  I'd give my right arm, first-born child, etc, to have an express bus that goes to Lower Manhattan. 

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Express bus from Jackson Heights potential usage survey
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »
Good morning,

I would first like to thank you guys for signing our petition therefore helping our efforts to bring an Express bus from Jackson Heights to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan. Even if you did not sign our petiton I would like you to take the time to complete our survey in order to help see where potential usage of an Express Bus from Jackson Heights would be

The link below is to part one of our survey which is ten questions long

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VZG2698

The link below is to part two of our survey which is two questions long

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VZZMS3K

I thank you in advance for completing both parts of our survey which will help us and the MTA to determine the demand for an Express Bus and how it should be scheduled

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Re: Express bus from Jackson Heights potential usage survey
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »
Good morning,

We have reorganized the survey in order to specfically question those going to either downtown or midtown and not mix and match the two, which is the mistake the person making this survey made. Sorry to those who took our survey already, but we would like you to complete this survey in order to help schedule trips and help plan the Express Bus service.

If you would use an Express Bus Downtown, please complete the survey at the following link

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/73L8Z7G

If you would use an Express Bus to Midtown, please complete the survey at the following link

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7393BQB

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Re: Express bus from Jackson Heights potential usage survey
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
If you want to complete our Downtown Express Bus survey please use the following link as I will not see any further responses from the survey that is linked above since there is a 100 response limit by Surveymonkey. If you want to complete our Downtown Express Bus please use this link instead of the other link

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2P7QX9K

Offline QM-22

• Resident
QM22 Update as of 8/22/2011
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »
Good morning,

As of August 22nd, 2011 Community Organizer Ali Fadil and Astoria Democratic District Leader Costa Constantinedes submitted our petition of 1200 signatures to the MTA demanding that the MTA Bus Company reinstate the QM22 Express Bus and run the service to its full potential, which was never done by either Triboro Coach or the MTA Bus Company. A LOT of people in Astoria in neighboring Jackson Heights have expressed that the QM22 would have been much more useful to them if it went to Lower Manhattan so they could have a one seat ride to Lower Manhattan instead of having to transfer and so they could have a faster commute to and from Jersey City since Exchange Place is one stop (four minutes away) from the PATH World Trade Center stop which a QM22 Lower Manhattan bus would serve. A LOT of people in Astoria and in neighboring Jackson Heights also expressed that they would use an Express Bus that went to East Midtown (Midtown points east of and including Madison Avenue) if it ran more than one bus since they would not have to transfer anymore to reach East Midtown with an Express Bus. People also want an Express Bus in the evenings because they do not want to wait for the Subway at night, transfer at night, or have to wait and pay for a cab at night especially since cabbies do refuse service to Queens.
      Since the petition was submitted, we urge Astorians to keep the pressure on our State elected officals to urge the MTA Bus Company to reinstate the QM22 Express Bus and run the line to its full potential. Feel free to call Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. at 1-718-274-4500 (since most of the route is within his district NYCC-22), State Senator Michael Gianaris at 1-718-728-0960 (since most of the route is within his district NYSS-12) or Assemblywoman Aravella Simotas at 1-718-545-3889 (since most of the route is within her district NYSA-36)and tell them to pressure the MTA Bus Company to reinstate QM22 service and improve the service as there is nothing stopping it as the MTA Bus Company is reimbursed by the City of New York for its operating expenses which incentivizes service improvements that were promised to us when the MTA took over the Private Lines.

Don't forget to become a fan on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/?sfrm=1#!/pages/QM22-Express-Bus/172765819453544

Offline QM-22

• Resident
Anyone interested in better transit service
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
We are planning a rally/march towards the middle of the month. We are looking for people who are interested in having Express Bus service to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan (particular interest is given to those who work Downtown/Jersey City) and we would like to get a contact list of those interested in attending a rally or just in having an Express Bus from Astoria in general. Please email bounadhanhic@yahoo.com if you are interested in our possible rally or having an Express Bus from Astoria since we are looking for people in the community to be more active in the cause and for people to help us out and volunteer.

Offline lapdanson

• Resident
Re: Anyone interested in better transit service
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Would bus service be faster than the subway? I imagine it would get stuck in traffic.

Offline QM-22

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
Would bus service be faster than the subway? I imagine it would get stuck in traffic.

No the Express Bus would operate via 21st Street and the Queens Midtown Tunnel to get to Manhattan all of which are not the most traffic ridden streets, even during rush hour. One could be able to save as much as 15-20 off the Subway especially if you work Downtown.

Offline theplanesland

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
The issue is that we need better transit options north of Northern Boulevard. An express bus that focuses on the Northern-to-Astoria zone would be useful in the neighborhood.

Offline QM-22

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
The issue is that we need better transit options north of Northern Boulevard. An express bus that focuses on the Northern-to-Astoria zone would be useful in the neighborhood.

The Express Bus would serve the area north of Northern Boulevard. If you would like to volunteer with us, please let me know.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
Did anything ever come of these discussions?  I'd love an express bus to and from lower Manhattan.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
unless we are talking the upper ditmars area, i doubt that the plan would ever come to fruition. express buses tend to serve areas that are either 1) completely untouched by subways or 2) a huge haul to manhattan by subway (or both). since neither is true of jackson heights, we'd probably be lower on the list than most places i can think of.