Author Topic: Real estate broker recommendations  (Read 1087 times)

Offline brunowe

• Tourist
Real estate broker recommendations
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
Hi, I am new to this site.  I just started looking for a studio/1 BR.  I live in Astoria and was just going to focus there but a friend who lives in Jackson Heights introduced me to the neighborhood and I loved it.  I can go to $1300.  I'm looking for a June 1 move-in; fortunately, my current situation is stable so I'm not on a timetable but do need to give a month's notice (i.e., if I find a place in June, it would need to be a July 1, etc.; don't want to carry rent on two places for more than a month).

I'm in a share now where the living room is 280 square feet--I'd like that amount of space plus a bathroom, 1 or 2 closets.  I don't need a full kitchen and features like a dishwasher, balcony would be nice but are in no way a prerequisite.

So, if anyone has 1) heard of anything, 2) can recommend brokers or 3) can offer me insight on how realistic I'm being, I'd appreciate any input?

Thanks.

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
Re: Real estate broker recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
I just did a search using Craigslist using a range of $1200 to $1300 and noticed many NO FEE apartments being listed by owners.  They all seem to be one bedrooms.  Your budget seems fine.  A store front realtor on 37th Ave between 77 & 78 across from the Public School has listings in the window.  It's possible that the owners may pay a part of the fee if the units aren't moving.  The NY Times has four listings (3 one bedroom and 1 studio) in the above range.  The Realtors are Trump and Laffey.  Few listings in NY Times because of the high cost of advertising.  Good Luck.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
In the past a few people on this site have recommended Washington Plaza as one of the best rental buildings in this area. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22washington+plaza%22+site%3Ajacksonheightslife.com  I am not sure what the market price is for a one bedroom in that building.

I am pretty sure that renting in a coop building is generally cheaper than in a regular rental building so you could look into that if the regular rentals are too much.  Of course there are pros and cons of renting in a coop building vs. a rental building.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »