Author Topic: New... where to eat?  (Read 23926 times)

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
Re: New... where to eat?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
Louie's Pizza on Baxter.

Some day I will get off my a$$ & try this.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:30 AM »
Not sure if it's opened yet, but there's a colombian hot dog place south of roosevelt around 80th or 81st or 79th.. .. really small shop. could be fun or crap.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Serious question: what makes a hot dog Colombian?

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/colombian-hot-dogs-perro-caliente-queens-jackson-heights-nyc.html

Serious answer: Obviously, not for the faint-of-heart nor the calorie-conscious.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
Thank you, and my goodness! I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try this. I can't imagine how the raspberry sauce fits in with this. Reminds me of a Chicago dog on acid.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/colombian-hot-dogs-perro-caliente-queens-jackson-heights-nyc.html

Serious answer: Obviously, not for the faint-of-heart nor the calorie-conscious.

That sounds seriously revolting! :buck2:

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
So I asked my Colombian friend at work about them, and she confirmed, that yes, they do serve them this way in Colombia, and when she goes home that's the first thing she gets!
I sent her the link & she's planning to go to Perro Veloz tonight.
I will keep you posted.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
they're absolutely delicious! well, in general, not sure about the new place. discovered them when i moved into queens in the late '80s.....may have to get one tonight, now that my tastebuds are anticipating. it's the salty-sweet dichotomy.... we put raspberry sauce on roast duck, similar sauces on roast pork, why not on our favorite mystery meat cornucopia? :)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
it's the salty-sweet dichotomy.... we put raspberry sauce on roast duck, similar sauces on roast pork, why not on our favorite mystery meat cornucopia? :)

This is an excellent point  :)

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
Well, my friend is going this weekend, so I'll have to wait till Monday to find out how it is. My wife surprisingly wants to try this, so I may be trying it myself.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
At this point, my short time in Jackson Heights has led me to lower my pizza expectations considerably. Right now, my criteria for success are:
1. Deliver in less than an hour.
2. Can find my door without calling me 4 times.
3. Edible.

With that in mind, Rey's Pizzeria is ok. Delivered quick enough that it's still hot, and the slice was half-way decent with a little garlic salt and hot sauce. I advise against the cheese cake.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
Well, my friends, in continuing this thread about what I like to eat, I'm pleased to report I have found some decent pizza that will deliver to me. Angelo's Pizza on 103rd Street in Corona makes a tasty slice and were able to get to my door in less than an hour!
Yes!  :smitten:

Offline rdc

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »
The arepaburger at Xtasis on 83ish and Northern is great!  Not quite as adventurous as a Colombian hot dog but still not your average burger.

Tacos Morelos is a good Mexican spot up by you (try the taco de torta de papa) though really there are so many around in our area that you'll have a favorite soon enough (Taqueria Coatzingo is mine).

For Thai I really like Playground and think it's worth the trek for you guys down to the 70s.  I also tried Ayada for the first time this weekend and it was definitely fantastic.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
I pass Xtasis a lot. It's certainly interesting to look at!
I haven't had much Mexican, despite my location, because the kids won't eat it. They'll eat chicken; so we have chicken often.

What is this Playground??

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Playground is part of the Zabb family, offering thai food in a semi slick setting.

if you like thai, it's great. kids who are a bit timid won't like it at all. but if you're kind of adventurous and spice friendly, the place is a pleasure.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »