Author Topic: New... where to eat?  (Read 23923 times)

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
New... where to eat?
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
Hi, I just moved here from Greenpoint.
I'm living in Southridge on 92nd Street. So far so good.
Question:
Where to eat?
Who delivers?
Any Thai or Indian that will deliver to 92nd?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: New... where to eat?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am not sure where the delivery lines are drawn for different restaurants, but definitely check out Ayada Thai in Elmhurst http://www.ayadathai.com/

There are a bunch of threads here about Thai restaurants.  Here is one that discusses Ayada and a few other places nearby http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=2311.0

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
You're in for a world of new food, my friend. welcome to the neighborhood. Eat everywhere! you have corona, jackson heights, elmhurst all at your fingertips and woodside and flushing are a short train ride away.

Offline petegart

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
AYADA AYADA AYADA this place is unbelievable!  You have to go there!  It is the best Thai anywhere.

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
I totally agree!  ;)

AYADA AYADA AYADA this place is unbelievable!  You have to go there!  It is the best Thai anywhere.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »
I just tried Ayada for the first time yesterday.  Wow!  I ordered on a whim because I was working from home and didn't want to go out in the heat.  I didn't have cash on me, so I decided to try Seamless Web for the first time and chose Ayada based on the reviews and a craving for Thai.

It was the best Thai I've had in the neighborhood, BY FAR.  I liked it better than Sripraphai (to be fair, I've only eaten there once).  I can't stand seafood, but people seem to love their papaya salad with crab and the crispy duck.  The drunken noodles were delicious, as was the bok choy with crispy pork. I also got the massaman curry but I haven't tried it yet (I always order enough for a few days).  It smelled good, though.  My usual Thai in the hood is Arunee but this was a lot better. 

Sometimes I could taste fish sauce, which I don't like, but that's only because I don't like fish - I realize that it's impossible to eat Thai without encountering it in just about every dish so I can't really consider that a negative thing.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
Sounds good. I've been to Sripraphai, and if Ayada is better, then they must be pretty freakin' great. I also tried Delhi Heights last weekend, I really liked it.
Seamless Web only lists 9 restaurants that will deliver to me. Has anyone tried Afghan Kebab House or Indian Taj?
If Indian Taj delivers, I'll be in. So far I've got my Chinese, my pizza, my Japanese & my diner. If I could find Thai that delivers, I'll be a happy man, but it doesn't look good.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm still eating the leftovers from my order!  I love Indian Taj - their buffet is one of my favorites. I probably go there more than any other Indian in the neighborhood.  I think Mehfil probably delivers to you through Seamless Web - it's another good choice.  I've never tried the Afghan Kebab House.

I can't think of one really good pizza place to share with you.  All of the options are mediocre, and even the one's that used to be good have gone downhill lately.  Or maybe I've just been unlucky.  

eta: Welcome to the neighborhood! 

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
We order from Ayada & Mehfil a lot via seamless web.  Love em.

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

uncle peters (my personal favorite in JH)

la cabana

novo

(if u love meat...Greenfield churrasqueria)

a little further into the outers...
Parkside (Corona)

(Astoria)
Cristos Steak House

Kiclades

Estatiorio Mezzo (comedy night on the weekends)
Time is running out!

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the suggestions.

I tried Pizza Sam, and found them pretty mediocre. The Grandma pie was better than the plain. People who have lived here for a while tell me it used to be better.

Since it looks like I'll be living in JH for the next couple of decades, hopefully I'll get around to trying them all!!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
yo, forget Pizza Sam's, Louie's pizza at baxter and 82nd street beats them all - esp the grandma slice.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
The secret is out...Ayada is far the best for Thai.  Not sure if they will deliver that far, so you may have to go with Arunee.

Offline calissefrances

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
Im not sure about Thai food , but if your in the mood for Italian.  I highly recommend Uncle Peter's on 84 St Northern Boulevard.  In my opinion they are the best restaurant in town.

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:38:52 PM »
Just tried Salt and Fat in Sunnyside. Small plates representing a variety of cultures, with a twist. Delicious. The oxtail terrine was amazing.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:38:52 PM »