Author Topic: New... where to eat?  (Read 23781 times)

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
Re: New... where to eat?
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
I've ordered Tomo for delivery. Not bad, and quick delivery. I tried to give the kids tuna rolls last week and they weren't having it. That's odd, because we give them those seaweed packs from Costco which they inhale.
There are quite a few South American places on Northern in the 80's which I've yet to try.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:36 AM »
I second/third Dosa Delight!!!!!!!! And the people who work there are really nice too..

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Grub Street New York reports that Los Verdes, a popular Miami-based chain, is scheduled to open this Thursday in Sunnyside.  It's Colombian food.

Grub Street New York

It appears that Los Verdes is currently working on its website, so here's a link to Yelp reviews.  This place somewhat reminds me of Xtasis on Northern.

Yelp -- Los Verdes, Miami

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
Re: New... where to eat? S Prime - LIC
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »
S Prime Steakhouse id LIC (bordering Astoria) - Very pricey for the locale but a really nice looking restaurant with exposed I beams and dark wood.  There is valet parking, coat check and as you enter you face a bar with a couple of plasma TVs. The place is 2 stories, open, screams Steakhouse and had a wonderful ambiance with an extensive wine selection (for an outer boro locale)

We had the Bone marrow and Oysters Rockefeller as starters.  Since I had a t-Bone the day before I did the Tuna as main course which was very thick but somewhat bland for my taste.  The wife ordered the 28 Oz Ribeye which was well marbled (a little too much for my taste).  The side were generous very good - we had the creamed spinach which was very tasty, the Mac & cheese (my favorite) and an enormous baked potato that brough all the condiments on the side.  The condiments were chunks of bacon, sour cream, grated cheese and something else (I cant remember) - we had fun putting it together ourselves  :D .

Time is running out!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
Re: New... where to eat? UNCLE PETERS!
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »
I just wanted to say that I had the best Lamb (I love lamb) I have ever had on Friday...Thank You Uncle Peters!

Time is running out!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »
I happened to notice a small Colombian restaurant located on 73rd Street next to Dosa Delight today.  While walking by quickly, I spotted mostly baked goods and was wondering how long it's been there, and if anyone has tried it.  Is it strange to say that I was surprised to see a Colombian place in Little India?  Wow!  Very curious about it, so I'll have to pay a visit soon.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
it's been there about two years, replacing the shortlived indo-pizza place. not bad. savories are better than sweets (they do a good pan de queso) buit not as good as la abundancia.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
it's been there about two years, replacing the shortlived indo-pizza place. not bad. savories are better than sweets (they do a good pan de queso) buit not as good as la abundancia.

I was hoping the sweets were good.  Sometimes I need to satisfy my sweet tooth while also enjoying a cup of coffee in a relaxed environment, and places like Seba Seba and Abundancia are usually so packed.  There's a place near Jahn's I used to visit a while back.  Their pastries are pretty good, and they have lots of seating. I'll just have to test the options and compare.   ::)

Offline Grabey

• Activist
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »
Just saw the new "Friends Cafe" across from the subway entrance at 74th St. is open now - has anyone been?

Offline jamesdamian

• Tourist
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
Thanks, dssjh! Sorry for such a slow coming acknowledgement. I'll check out these places.

Chung Ki Wa on 74th just off broadway.....right by the train entrance and next to the gay spanish sports bar [if not only in JH, mostly in JH :) ] formerly known as the music box....best for BBQ, done at table albeit not over charcoal. they have a better variety of banchan and some reasonable soju as well.
the vietnamese place right there [Thai Son] has excellent pho, but fair to middling everything else.

happy noshing!

My boyfriend and I went to Hae Woon Dae at Bway/76th over the weekend. I had kimchi jjigae, he had soon doo bu jjigae. Both really good. Atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired, but I'll deal for good Korean food. Any other worthy Korean recommendations. We are exploring JH and to plan to hit 'em all.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »