Author Topic: New... where to eat?  (Read 23711 times)

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
Re: New... where to eat?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
Great article in the latest issue of New York magazine: their top 20 "cheap eats" recommendations in Queens. I thought I would share it. Here's a link to a print-ready version...

http://nymag.com/print/?/restaurants/cheapeats/2011/queens/top-twenty/index4.html

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
I think that deserves it's own thread! 

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
OK, I've ordered from seamless web three times now, twice from Indian Taj & just now from Q City Pizza.

I really like Indian Taj. Fresh, hot, tasty Indian food delivered on time. All the sauces & condiments, dal included. Naan was particularly good. Will definitely order from them again. Note: masala dosas do not travel particularly well.

Q City Pizza: seriously, some of the worst sh*t I've eaten in a long time, and I just got back from an Applebee's tour of the upper Mid-West. Over an hour to deliver the worst pizza I've ever had, seriously. I've had pizza in New Orleans that was better. Half-melted Polly-O on a saltine cracker crust. Garlic bread was oily & oddly green. My wife thought it might be rancid. Tiny portion of greasy calamari.

I apologize to Pizza Sam; they are freakin' gourmet compared to this crap.

Anyone know of a decent pizza place in the nabe?

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Also, I went to the famous Pio Pio on Saturday night. Excellent. Much better than the Greenpoint branch, which was still very good. Great chicken, calamari and sides.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
great pizza? nope.

decent? a couple possibilities both of which deliver to me on 35/77.

gianni, which is on northern. good regular pies, you get a nice crisping on the crust and a good balance of cheese and sauce, which has the right touch of sweet.

original rosa's on 31st/75th, in that strip mall that also holds cannelle. best crust i've had around here. good meatballs (one of my favorite toppings). good pasta dishes too.

gustosa is a good by the slice place....i like their sicilian, especially.

avoid due fratelli. three strikes on delivery, same problems each time: oily and a floppy crust that lets the cheese/toppings slide off and onto the floor or lap.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
Thanks. I'll try & see who delivers.
The thing that got me was that the cheese wasn't even melted, so why'd it take so long?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
i've passed by that place, Q City that is, and it just looks so unappealing that i didn't consider trying it. books, covers, i know, but ick. sorry you had that experience.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
I'm almost never in that area. I'm probably better off not seeing it.
I don't feel so good.  :-\

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
*Snip*
gianni, which is on northern. good regular pies, you get a nice crisping on the crust and a good balance of cheese and sauce, which has the right touch of sweet.

*Snip*
avoid due fratelli. three strikes on delivery, same problems each time: oily and a floppy crust that lets the cheese/toppings slide off and onto the floor or lap.

I agree with you on both points.   Gianni's is my go-to for delivery although I live pretty damn close to Due FAILtelli.  The fact that they (Due) try to make 500 varieties and they're all disgusting says a lot. :D   Gianni's is great, the staff is friendly and the pizza is yummy.  Delivery guys are very nice although sometimes it may take a long time.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
Superclam, I've already posted this on the Pizza thread:   I go to Porto Bello in Astoria on Ditmars (43-18 Ditmars Blvd).  Fantastic pizza.    Also their food is really good and not expensive.  Plus there's two parking lots: outside and underground FREE.

So worth the ride if you have a car.  I've never checked if they deliver but I doubt they'd come this far.
First, do no harm.

Offline americanchicken

• Tourist
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
oh and don't forget to try the original american chicken @37th and 78th...

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »

Ew.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »
So far, I've ordered from Indian Taj a few times (still good), Mehfil (I didn't like it), Gianni's (I didn't really care for it), Himalayan Hut (pretty good), Taste of Italy Pizza (decent "standard" NYC slice), Uncle Peter's (my wife & I really like it), Pio Pio again (inconsistent) and Victoria's Pizza, which had Mexican and pizza and both were surprisingly good.  :smiley6600:

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Louie's Pizza on Baxter.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Finally tried it yesterday. It was ok. Very fast delivery. Not too expensive. Large chicken was pretty good in the charcol grilled sense. Sauces ok. Rice & beans mediocre. Cole slaw fair.
Not as good as Pio Pio, but cheaper & quicker delivery.
I'll probably order from them once in a while.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »