Author Topic: 72nd st and 37th ave  (Read 2331 times)

Offline afoxlerner

• Tourist
72nd st and 37th ave
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
Hi, my husband and I and our baby daughter are thinking of buying a apartment on 72nd and 37th.  We are longtime Brooklynites and to be honest, Queens is a bit of a mystery to me.  I was wondering if anyone had any thought about this particular area in JH, or the hood in general.  Safety?  Noise?  Things to do with a little one?  Greenery?  General community?  The only thing I actually know about JH is the food, so any other input on the hood would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: 72nd st and 37th ave
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »
Hi, I live a block over on 35th.  It's very safe.  It can be quite noisy, especially on weekends.  The noise is mainly horn honking and car radios (and my arch enemy in the summer- the Mr. Softee truck).  However, if your apartment doesn't face 37th it won't be bad.  I face 73rd Street and it's very loud -but I've gotten used to it.  72nd has much less traffic and is probably pretty quiet. 

Jackson Heights is sorely lacking in green space or parks. There is a playground nearby at Travers Park (a few blocks up on 34th Ave). There is a great greenmarket there on Sundays. I don't have kids so I can't help too much about things to do with them.  There's a Yahoo group called Jackson Heights families that you would probably find very informative (jhfamilies@yahoogroups.com).

I hear that parking can be a bit of a pain but I think it's worse in the higher blocks (hopefully someone with a car will correct me if I'm wrong). 

I also came from Brooklyn and I am much happier in Jackson Heights. I do miss certain things about my old neighborhood (I lived on a beautiful brownstone block in Boerum Hill and I mainly miss the gorgeous trees and architecture.  And the great butcher on Smith St. That's about it).  I find it more convenient here and I like the diversity. I was getting sick of the yuppie/hipster vibe in my old neighborhood. 

I work down by Wall Street and the hour-long commute really gets to me sometimes (at least it gives me time to read).  But getting to Midtown is a breeze. 

Good luck!

Offline choque8

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
If its variety and authenticity you are looking for, Jackson Heights is great. The neighborhood has not gentrified much and any semblance to the cute little shops and eateries in Brooklyn are very few. I have a 6 year old son who I take to Travers Park when the weather is good. The park gets very crowed and to get away from the multitude, we tend to leave the neighborhood for parks like Astoria, Flushing Meadows and Central Park. The commute using the 7, E and F lines are fantastic in and out of midtown and down the west side as far as Century21.

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
I think this location is very, very noisy as most of the businesses on that block and area stay open 24 hours.  Personally, I would look for an apartment on either 35th or 34th Avenues.  It is quieter because there is no or very limited commercial real estate there.  I think that you will find JH extremely convenient as far as public transportation is concerned. One can get almost anywhere in the city from here easily.  Although JH does lack certain amenities, it does have a dizzying array of ethnic food shops to choose from.

Offline choque8

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
Also, you are in the mix with cultures from around the world.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »