Author Topic: Vet Recommendation  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Grabey

• Activist
Vet Recommendation
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
Can anyone recommend a vet (or recommend a vet NOT to go to?) in the area?  I have a healthy cat and need someone who can take care of emergencies, checkups, etc.  We had been going to the Humane Society in Midtown but the trek is a bit much.
I've looked on Yelp and the vet on 35th Ave and 71st St. seems to have good reviews.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
Re: Vet Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
Many JHers use Matt Nebel www.visitingvetnyc.com
He makes house calls and has affiliations with hospitals for emergencies, surgeries etc.
Check out his site and testimonial page , you'll see many from Jackson Heights

Offline DandR

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
My wife swears by North Shore Animal Hospital for her (feral, to me) cat.  But it's a drive, as they're at 212-14 Northern Blvd.

Offline 85th Street Jim

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
Noah's Ark on 37th Ave at 85th Street - full service.  They take care of your companion animal and you.  Dr. Tello saw my cat on an emergency basis on a Christmas Eve.  Their staff is excellent - kind, compassionate - exactly what you want from people caring for animals.  We've been clients/patients for ten years and adore them as a clinic and as neighbors.  They're proactive for your animal and keep you accountable for your companion.  A model of service and clinical integrity.

Offline 85th Street Jim

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »
Oh, Noah's Ark's info is available at jacksonheightsvet.com.

Offline Ernie

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I've taken all my cats to Astoria Vet. group on Steinway between Astoria blvd and 23rd avenue. Dr, Kamer and Dr. Smith are my favorite.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
Yes! Dr. Kamer is terrific.  Used them for years until my dog got too old and I wanted her final hours to be at home.  Unfortunately they do not do house calls.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
I take my dog and used to take my cat to 35th/71 Animal Hospital/Vet.  They're ok.  Not in love but also don't dislike them at all.  My friend also took her dog and cat there and liked them a lot.

I've never tried anyone else so am always curious to hear what others say. 
First, do no harm.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
Im partial to heights vet clinic on 35th ave 71 st because they saved my pet years ago. I went to noahs ark a few times but found him very pricey and he didn't have the meds for my dog I got a prescription for rite aid which was  $200. I also found the place to be tiny. I went to the one on northern in the low 90's or high 80's and they were terrible!! I also went to the emergency clinic on queens blvd in rego park for an emergency and they were good but very expensive (around $1,000) I've never been to the AAA clinic although it always looks crowded. I also know people who use Dr. Nebel and absolutely love him. I might give him a try next time.

Offline Grabey

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I ended up going to the vet on 35th & 71st.  Like someone else said, I wasn't in love with them but they were ok.  Got the job done and my cat is better.  :)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
What I would like to avoid is bringing my cat in for a very obvious, common and reoccurring condition and being told the animal needs a complete workup costing lots of money. I'm not returning to my regular vet for that reason. Will I be running into the same situation at the 71st St./35th Ave. vet? And, what's the name and/or number?
These workups seem to always reveal a liver, pancreas or thyroid condition that is causing no harm to your animal but requires lots of vet visits and $$$.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Jeannette I think most vets (at least the ones I've been to) are like that. If you go to the hts vet hospital ask for DR. Rhiehle. Be Stern with them and tell them this is recurring and you are NOT going to pay for extras. Thats all they can't force you to do services you dont want.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »