Author Topic: Garden School Play Yard  (Read 49473 times)

Offline cookie01031958

• Resident
Re: Garden School Play Yard
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
But, of course, its fine if people spread misinformation about Garden school, right?

When the deal with the city goes through, and the neighborhood gets more park space, I would hope that the residents of Jackson Heights would start supporting the Garden school at little, and be nicer to the families there. We do have a part time nursery program that's competitively priced similar to others in the neighborhood. And of course our summer camp. You can also rent our pool for parties, and our gym. Most of the parents at the school work very hard to send their kids there and sacrifice vacations and other expensive habits. We are not the elite rich we are working class people also.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
There has been criticism of the past and proposed actions of the Garden School's board here, but that stopped as talks with the city started moving forward.  There really has not been any criticism of the school or the families who send their children to attend it.  In fact, many of our community members had quite nice things to say about the school.

Offline taggie

• Council Member
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
Thanks Todd for this. It's best for Jackson Heights as a community if we stick to facts here and stay positive. All signs are good that
we will have this transaction between Garden School and the city which will make life nicer for a lot of people. When is harder to say.
but if the school and the park thrive, so does the whole community. Amen.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Council Member
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »
if the school and the park thrive, so does the whole community

Yes!  That's what we all want. :)

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
We actually help organize one of the summer pool-shares, so if that's supporting the Garden School, we support the Garden School. We're very happy the deal is going forward because we would have hated to cancel the pool-share, it's something the kids really love in the hot days of summer.

My only complaint about the Garden School was that they were going to put up a giant apartment building on their ballfield. I don't have any other complaints. If that's not happening, I don't see a problem!

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
NY Daily News: City reaches deal to expand Travers Park in Jackson Heights!!!  

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/city-reaches-deal-expand-travers-park-jackson-heights-article-1.1048457#ixzz1pnsijTpF

Hooray for Danny Dromm and his staff, Will Sweeney, Dudley Stewart, the Jackson Heights Green Alliance, Len Maniace and the Jackson Heights Beautification Group, The Garden School parents, board, and leadership, Mayor Bloomberg and Deputy Mayor Wolfson, and everybody else who worked to make this a reality.  And Clare Trapasso for bringing us the story.  What a great achievement for the neighborhood.

P.S.  ...And also thank you to the J.M. Kaplan Fund, Donovan Finn, Melissa Haldeman, Maria Hoffman, Munro Johnson, Elena Madison, Anthony Ng, Georgia Southworth. Ed Westley, Nula O'Doherty, and Borough President Helen Marshall!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:50:49 AM by toddg »

Offline LittleBeluga

• Tourist
« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
That's great.  I am new to the forum, and don't even live in the neighborhood, but I do visit JH for strolling the historic streets.  I registered just so that I can post my support for this initiative and say that I am happy for the community and I think this is a wonderful win on the part of Mr. Dromm and all those that were involved! :rockon:

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
Garden School athletic field is done deal
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
See photos from today's announcement at Green Agenda for Jackson Heights Facebook page.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Re: Garden School athletic field is done deal
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
Terrific news! This is a victory for the neighborhood. Thanks to everyone involved for all your efforts.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/AJ_21ttHYGwetkk11tzCmNvQLcptSftu?w=1

Offline taggie

• Council Member
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
 Yes, this is a wonderful result. Speaking as a believer from the first time I heard about the Garden School approaching
the city with this type of arrangement in mind, I knew it would play out this way, albeit 2 1/2 years after the first contact
to the city. We get to keep this lovely school as a part of Jackson Heights educational offerings and both the school and
the community get improvements in the athletic field. Along with the recreation area on the other side at IS145 and the
new park space at PS69, we have a lot to celebrate in the community.
 Happy days!

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
Definitely a great accomplishment that so many people made possible. I ahve to keep thanking Councilman Dromm who championed this and never let up.

BTW 2 - 2 1/2 is relatively quick for a project as complicated as this. My oldest son was 11 when we at JHBG and St. Joan of Arc Youth Council started our campaign to get a ballfield renovated at Landing Light Park. It will be opening shortly. He's 22.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
NY Times article

In Shift, a Queens School Will Sell Land to the City

A financially troubled private school in Jackson Heights, Queens, has agreed to sell an athletic field to New York City rather than follow through on a controversial plan to sell it to a private developer.

In an agreement made final on Wednesday, the city will pay the Garden School $6 million for the land, nearly 30,000 square feet of open space that will be conjoined to one of the area’s few parks, Travers Park, a largely concrete expanse on 78th Street. Last year, the school, which was then over $2 million in debt, rejected a bid from the city, theorizing that a developer with cash on hand would be able to pay the school more quickly.

“The school was saying at that time that they needed the city to hurry up because they were afraid of the length of the process,” said Daniel Dromm, a Democratic city councilman who represents the area and pushed for the city’s offer.

Under the terms of the agreement, the school will receive about $800,000 in interest-free bridge loans from two organizations that preserve open space, to tide it over until the city money comes through, said Michael F. Rakosi, the vice president of the school’s board of trustees. The school will also have exclusive use of the field from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.

Those factors caused the school, which has 300 pupils and charges about $15,500 tuition, to change course, Mr. Rakosi said. He added that the often-heated campaign the community had waged did not sway the decision.

“They were extremely rough on getting it, rough on me, rough on the school,” Mr. Rakosi said of those in the community who opposed selling the land to a developer. But, he added, “our job as board members is to do the best we could for our kids.”

“We would like to do as well for the community,” he continued, “but my first charge is to take care of my kids.”

City Hall officials took a lead role in the discussions. Howard Wolfson, a deputy mayor who was directly involved in the negotiations, said the talks “at times got very passionate.”

“The community was very passionate about doing everything it could to preserve this as open space and have it for community use,” Mr. Wolfson said, “and the school very much wanted to reap fair value for the land. And we were asked to kind of step in and see if we could help mediate.”

“At the end of the day,” he added, “everyone got something they wanted.”

The bulk of the money for the purchase came from Mr. Dromm’s discretionary fund; the fund of the Queens borough president, Helen Marshall, and the city budget each contributed $1 million.

Mr. Dromm said it would take additional contributions to renovate the park, which will not break ground for over a year. That cost and the financing source has not yet been established, he said.

CLICK ON LINK FOR ARTICLE

Offline taggie

• Council Member
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »
Wow, that landing lights owner was very patient! Waiting 11 years for the sale is impressive. Who was the seller if I may ask?
And great to add that to the new collection of open spaces.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
Landing Lights Park was always owned by the city. It just took a long time for the city to decide to renovate the ballfield. There was opposition from a few people who lived near the field. We collected 1,200-1,400 signatures on a petition to get that moving, most them gathered at the Waldbaum shopping center, not far from the field.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »