Author Topic: Queens, A Taste of the World -- Tasting Event  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Queens, A Taste of the World -- Tasting Event
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »
Discover Queens, the Queens County Tourism people, will be holding its annual Taste of the World event on Monday, April 14, 2008 at the USTA's Billie Jean King National Center in Flushing Meadows Park.  According to John Roleke's Queens Blog, the 2007 event had over 40 restaurants that participated, including many of our favorites like Sripraphai, La Fusta, Sapori D'Ischia, etc.  I contacted the folks at Discover Queens for more info on this year's event, and they told me that by next week, their website should have more information listed.

http://www.discoverqueens.info/

Read here on last year's event, including a list of restaurants that participated:

http://queens.about.com/b/2007/03/28/taste-the-world-in-flushing-meadows.htm

I would love to hear from anyone that has attended these events in previous years.  It is a bit pricey, but it may be well worth it to experience some of Queens' best restaurants.

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline kate

• Activist
Re: Queens, A Taste of the World -- Tasting Event
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
It' sounds great, and it's a bit pricey. It might be worth it. An all day eating extravaganza and some doggie bags to go. Thanks for posting.

judibean

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
Who is going to pay $85 at the door?!  I think a better system would be to charge $2/$3 per sampling dish, similar to the food festivals that highlight certain Manhattan nabes.  That would bring in many more people and provide more flexibility in how much you want to spend.  I was all set to mark it down on my calendar until I saw the price tag.

Offline BGOconnell

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »
$75?

Count me out.
YURT'TA BARI? DÃœNYA'DA BARI?

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
I don't know.  I've been giving this event some thought.  It's not very often that I've had the opportunity to sample food from so many restaurants from Jackson Heights and other areas of Queens as well.  My birthday is rapidly approaching, so I may just decide to splurge.  I'll post if I decide to attend.

I remember watching a video recently of a similar yearly event held at the Waldorf.  Pastry chef Perrenou of Cannelle Patisserie was one of the featured chefs.  It looked like a lot of fun....but hey, that was the Waldorf, and I think the price was something like $200+.

From looking at information of last year's Taste of Queens event, the price of admission has gone down somewhat, but it's still quite expensive.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:40:02 PM by Chuckster »
The Chuckster has spoken!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »