Author Topic: Original American Chicken  (Read 21101 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: Original American Chicken
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
It looks like this restaurant will be doing mostly take-out business.  I walked by yesterday and noticed that there's a large grill by the front window and a long counter with no seating leading to the back.  I was hoping to see a few tables...may in the back area?  This place reminds me of the Chirping Chickens fast food restaurants in Manhattan.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
Does anyone think that the Broadway Pizza (if it is ever finished) and the chicken place are being built because of the Renaissance School and PS 69?

Offline Dawnie

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »
Are they opening soon?  Is there an expected date?  It seems like it is taking a very long time to open?

Offline 80thstreet.observer

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »
Yesterday afternoon (05/23), there was a lady handing out menus in front of Original American Chicken.  Does that mean they are opening soon?

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
They were open when I walked by today.  Chickens on a grill instead of rotisserie style.  So that is different from most of the other chicken places.  I didn't go inside to see what else they have.  It definitely looks like a take out place. 
First, do no harm.

Offline spanishfish

• Activist
  • JH_AB
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »
ECG-

What is the supposed connection between Pizza, Chickens and Elementary Schools?
-JH_AB

Offline kate

• Activist
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »
It smelled pretty good, and they seem to have a varied menu. Salads, etc.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
all this chicken talk sent me over to UFC for their drum sticks.
First, do no harm.

Offline 80thstreet.observer

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:29 AM »
I picked up half a chicken yesterday, with two sides.

Original American Chicken may have to rethink the ventilation system they've installed...it was very smoky (from the grilling) inside the restaurant.  Maybe it was just the first day and the ventilation system just wan't up and running yet.

The chicken was moist, and overall good, but not great.  The sauces (tomato and bbq) weren't very good at all.  The sides weren't very good either.  A great sauce and some good sides may have made all the difference...it didn't look like the restaurant cared about these things.  Oh well, I'll go back and revisit them in a few weeks and see if things have improved.

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
ECG-

What is the supposed connection between Pizza, Chickens and Elementary Schools?

The connection I saw was that kids like to eat pizza and maybe chicken. Renaissance school isn't elementary.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »
I tried this place on Monday evening.  The food wasn't exciting, but the quality was good and I will probably return somewhat frequently because of its convenience. 

The one side I did have, a very lightly seasoned mix of steamed vegetables, was delicious and was not overcooked.  But I agree with 80thStreet.... the overall appeal of the place could be greatly enhanced by a little more loving creativity with the sauces and sides.  It shouldn't take too much effort to develop some top-notch, homemade sauces.  Why not reflect Jackson Heights' diversity and "American"-ness with a killer chimichurri sauce, a spicy Korean BBQ sauce, an Indian tamarind-type sauce, etc.?  Or invent something truly "Original".  Right now, it's almost as if the owners are trying too hard to be generic.  A bit more character (e.g. Chucker's suggestion of a place like Atomic Wings) would have been welcome.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »
I tried the OAC on their grand opening day, Saturday.  The chicken's flavor is reminiscent of your standard outdoor grilled chicken...the kind of taste you achieve during a summer BBQ outing.  Well, at least that's what it reminded me of.  I asked for BBQ sauce, but I think I may have gotten ketchup by mistake.  It appears that I also tried the same veggie mix that Todd tried.  This was a mix of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.  Overall, not very exciting, but not bad either.  The smoke is an entirely different story, but I'm hoping the ventilation system issue is something OAC will address quickly.

We ordered:

Whole Chicken served with pita bread and one side dish for $10.69
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Bonito Flakes

• Resident
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
I just had the worst meal since I've been living in Jackson Heights. I decided to try this place out since it's right around the corner from where I live. I ordered the half grilled chicken and the mac & cheese as a side. The chicken was dry and lacked any flavor. The mac and cheese tasted like watered down powdered cheese - really gross. Needless to say, I will never return.

Offline jennsch

• Activist
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
Every time I walk by and, ever so briefly, think of going in there, those Pepto Bismol pink walls put me off.

Offline rs011885

• Citizen
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »
I also went only once and do not plan on returning, ever. I had so-so chicken and (cold!) rice. I think. It was obviously not worth remembering.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »