Author Topic: Original American Chicken  (Read 21115 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Original American Chicken
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »
i think the problem is that places like this are trying to appease american tastes.
i didnt like all the salads and stuff, a supreme dearth of side items for me.

Offline JHICON

• Activist
Re: Original American Chicken
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
Chicken is alright it needs more seasoning but it does have that summery taste of BBQ. The sides.... I think the generic mac and cheese brand is better than the crap there serving.
I love controversy geezer's brace yourselves lolol.

Offline americanchicken

• Tourist
The original American Chicken on 37th and 78th
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
Hi to all JH friends and residents...If you've been to the restaurant please let us know your thoughts.. open seven days. free delivery with no minimum in the area.....

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: The original American Chicken on 37th and 78th
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
truthily?

the rotisserie chicken is good. could use a little more spicing...or at least a little more salt and pepper ... but it's good chicken and a good value. the fried could use a lot more flavoring.

the sides are very good. love the salads, and think the potatoes are terrific...lemon and mashed. just pick up the flavoring a smidge, and everything would be top notch.

Offline Queenskid

• Council Member
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »
I love the chicken.  We tried the ribs for the first time and were surprised by how good they were (I'm always worried that ribs will smothered in some sweet sauce).  This is one of the places consistently order from.

Offline linette

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »
I'm a big fan. I'm actually ok with the chicken not being too spicy since my kids like it as is--I add the excellent green sauce for more spice on my own.

Also, your staff is always very friendly and helpful.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
I'm a big fan. I'm actually ok with the chicken not being too spicy since my kids like it as is--I add the excellent green sauce for more spice on my own.

Also, your staff is always very friendly and helpful.

I'm OK with the mildly flavored chicken also.  It's a change from some of the spicier options we have in the neighborhood.  I hit other spots when I'm in the mood for spice and/or heat.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline blackandyellow

• Tourist
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
The chicken is OK, I also agree that it needs a bit more flavor.  I personally prefer to order chicken from "La casa del pollo peruano", there it is much more juicer and tastefull, unfortunately they don't deliver.

Offline Mary Poppins

• Activist
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
I love the chicken the way it is.   Also love the creamed spinach

The mac and cheese scared me... it was watery and orange and strange

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
ate there once. wasn't into it.
seeing about 35 chickens on the grill and few customers makes me suspicious of how juicy it can be.

Check out Chirpin Chicken or Chicken Lovers in Bayside. They have really juicy chicken. If you guys made chicken like that, you'd be very popular.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:53 PM »
I like the flavor/juiciness of the various rotisserie places, but American Chicken's straightforward and less greasy grilled chicken is a welcome change from the others.  I also tend to eat at American Chicken when I'm looking for takeout that's kid-friendly.

I didn't know about the green sauce, and look forward to trying it.  I think your sauce selection (ketchup, bbq, etc.) has been a real missed opportunity.  (See my original commentary when you first opened).  Overall, I think you serve a well-prepared chicken, but I'd love to see you get more creative with your sauces, sides, and preparations.  A well-prepared grilled chicken sandwich, with high quality bread and other ingredients, would be especially welcome.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »
I have to agree with Jeff. The chickens did not look fresh and frankly I was afraid to buy any.

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
So I went into the store today to order a half chicken with two sides.  When I went to go pay, I only had $2 on me and TOAC does not accept AMEX.  I apologized for not having cash and proceeded to leave the store (without my half chicken in tow), when the cashier gave me the food and said to pay him tomorrow.  Of course, I went home, ate my meal, went to an ATM, and paid for my meal within an hour.  Just thought I would share since this is not something that you see everyday.

PS - I agree with the majority of posts that the chicken is just fine the way it is, but they should incorporate some variety in terms of the sides and the sauces they use.

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
I like Chickenfest at 40-36 82nd St across from Movie Theater.  1/4 dark with 2 sides is $4.85 which is what I usually get.  You choose from 18 side dishes both hot & cold.  For those with big appetites 1/2 chicken with 2 sides is $6.25.  Place is always very busy being so close to the hospital.  They also have fried chicken meals with 2 sides for the same price. 

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »
do you guys marinate or brine the chickens? that might help.
also, I know you want to show lots of chickens in the window, but I think people would appreciate if it was fresher. Look at chicken lover in bayside. they have it all right.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »