Author Topic: Original American Chicken  (Read 20053 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Re: Another Dunkin?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
I'm a little confused about this.  Someone told me today that Dunkin will indeed open up in the space formerly occupied by the small video club that was near Flagship.  I'm wondering if this is the spot I mentioned in another thread on Original American Chicken.  Anyone know?
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
According to permit information from the DOB website, the address of 78-07 37th Avenue (formerly USA Legal) is designated to a restaurant by the name of Original American Chicken, not Dunkin Donuts.  The DOB also lists the owner of the business as Prabir Mitra.  I Googled the name and came across a few articles identifying Mr. Mitra as the owner of various Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins franchises throughout NYC, including many in Queens.  If this is indeed the same Prabir Mitra, it appears as he may be branching out by exploring the chicken market in Jackson Heights.  By the way, I peeked inside the storefront the other day and noticed that the decor so far doesn't resemble anything close to a Dunkin.

More info on Mr. Mitra here:

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2006/0426/features/011.html

and here (scroll down to the heading Dunkin Donuts):

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9800EED91031F932A15750C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »
(Begin midday food daydreaming...)

This South Asian-American entrepreneur with experience running fast food franchises, and opening a new chicken business called "Original American Chicken" reminds me of my favorite fast food joint in the San Francisco Bay Area...

Tandoori Chicken USA.  They make absolutely heavenly chicken sandwiches unlike anything available in Jackson Heights.  The food is tasty, and the concept is a hoot.  They're located in and old 1950's "Foster's Freeze" on a very run-down commercial strip.  The owner has the truly American dreams of franchising his business.

Here's more...
http://nosheteria.com/2005/03/best-thing-to-happen-to-fosters-freeze.html
(FYI - the big purple eggplant painted on the window in the bottom picture is saying, "Yes!  We have Bengan Bartha!")

It would be great if we could land something as kitchy and tasty as that!

(End midday food daydreaming.)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
The picture of the chicken sandwich on the nosheteria website looks delicious.  I hope that whatever chicken place we get on 37th Ave. turns out to be good.  I love chicken!

Offline abee

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »
  By the way, I peeked inside the storefront the other day and noticed that the decor so far doesn't resemble anything close to a Dunkin.

You didn't think so? I do admit that when I peeked in I only saw the tiniest bit of inside the door, but the color the wall was painted looked a very Dunkin/Baskin pink (tm).

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:26 AM »
abee, when I looked, the walls had yet to be painted.  However, I do recall seeing some paneling, but not pink.  I would be surprised to see another Dunkin open in that spot afterall, as that would be contradictory to information posted at the DOB.  I've been reading lately that Dunkin has expansion plans in its attempts to compete with Starbucks.  Your post now leaves me wondering.  I'd rather have a chicken place though, as we already have a Dunkin on 37th Ave.

Offline JoeinQueens

• Citizen
New Business on 78th & 37th
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »
In the former law office there is another take out place, possibly Chinese, under renovation.

Offline DG3000

• Tourist
Re: New Business on 78th & 37th
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
I read on the board over the weekend that it was going to be a Chicken place.  Hope it's open past 9pm...

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
You didn't think so? I do admit that when I peeked in I only saw the tiniest bit of inside the door, but the color the wall was painted looked a very Dunkin/Baskin pink (tm).

Today I managed to peek inside through a 2 inch by 2 inch square hole in the paper that's covering the windows and it was very very pink inside there.  Which, IMHO, is not the best choice for walls on a chicken place.  If that's what it really is.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
I noticed the pink wall the other day as well.  But is it the trademark Dunkin pink do you think?  Come to think of it, I've been inside Dunkin practically a million times, but I can't seem to remember if the walls are actually pink or if it's just the tables, chairs and counter. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »
It didn't really feel like the Dunkin pink to me (maybe a little darker?), and strangely enough I can't remember what color the walls are in existing Dunkin shops either. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »
Actually, the pink did look very much like this pink on this Dunkin website http://alpha.dickinson.edu/carlisle/DunkNDonuts.html

However, there's always the chance my monitor is not showing colors accurately.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 10:49:20 PM »
Hmm.  In this space, we heard there was a chicken eatery being opened by someone with an Indian surname -- but now it appears to be a Dunkin Donuts and/or Baskin Robins location.  Nearby in the former Baskin Robins space, I've heard that there will be some sort of Indian restaurant.  I wonder if there's been some sort of swap.

Or should I be clinging to the hope that the pink walls are just a primer coat? 

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 11:03:15 PM »
Pink primer?  Hmmmm...

Shelby, the paneling that appears on the walls of the Dunkin site you posted looks alarmingly similar to the paneling that's in place at the "chicken" place. :o  I'll have to ask next time I walk by.

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 01:12:04 AM »
Walked by the place today the doors were wide open, and now that it has been mentioned it does look like a Dunkin pink.

However... I'm confused... and certainly no fast food mogul or developer...

But with the old Baskin Robins being closed why would an eating and drinking establishment not choose to set up shop in a space that already has that designation / facilities as opposed to redesigning a space that wasn't prepared? espescailly since both spaces seem to be about the same size. Is it a matter of location ?

And is it really good business sense to open a Dunkin so close to another one ? Doesn't the franchise have a rule about that ?

In the end, maybe we're in for a Dunkin Baskin Chickin adventure of some sort :)   
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 01:12:04 AM »