Author Topic: Illegally parked cars on private property  (Read 3906 times)

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
Illegally parked cars on private property
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
Recently someone has been parking overnight in my shared alley/driveway which is private property - multiple homes.  The car does not have permission from the homeowner whose spot he/she has been using.

Catch-22: The police say they won't come into the alleyway to ticket because it is private property; towing company says they won't tow until the police have ticketed. 

Car owner has been told not to park there and the car has been plastered with warning signs that they are illegally parked to little avail.

Suggestions??

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
Re: Illegally parked cars on private property
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
Techincally, if someone is on your property, is that tresspassing?  I am not sure, I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me ... perhaps they can not ticket the parked car, but if a driver is on your property gettng out or in said car ...
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
Car owner has been told not to park there and the car has been plastered with warning signs that they are illegally parked to little avail.

Suggestions??

I can think of lots of creative and not-so-creative ways to get them to stop parking there.  What are they going to do, complain to the police that they parked on someone's private property and their car got messed up?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
i have a creative bent, so when my former SO and i had this problem on 75th st (communal driveway), my solution was to cover the windshield in duct tape and add a politely written request for removal. no lasting harm done and message delivered.

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »
Another delicious idea ... combine the problems of two threads!

The illegally parked car (http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=5046.msg32973#msg32973) should meet the handbill, posters, and flyers (http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=3471.msg22625#msg22625).

Duct tape optional ...
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:50:03 AM »
One time I missed moving my car for street cleaning and in addition to a ticket, I got one of those 8 x 10" stickers pasted to my window.  It took me quite a long time to scrape that thing off. (I think that's the point.)  I even had to buy some sort of goo-be-gone stuff at the hardware store. 

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:49:24 AM »
There are so many deliciously evil solutions to this problem....  ;D 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
just for the record, i'd honestly try to avoid the radical solutions and ask nicely if i could. i am far better at being good cop than bad cop.

:police:

Offline divanatrix

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:10 AM »

Good cop didn't work evidently, so... looks like it's time to be creative. lol

Offline snickers

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Exactly, they will keep taking advantage of you if you go about this in a nice way. Nothing wrong with
being a little bad ass in the situation. If nobody is willing to to do anything about it then you have to take
a stand,good luck.

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
Can you park your car behind their car in a perpendicular fashion? That way they can't move their car and you don't have to vandalize anything. (Not that there's anything wrong with a relatively harmless prank now and then.) Hopefully they will get the hint.

judibean

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
I wouldn't recommend putting your car in the position of getting rammed.  You don't know whether the driver is crazy.  Obviously, he/she is crazy enough to keep using the parking space even though people have noticed and gave warning not to keep doing it.  I think it's time to involve the police again.  Explain the situation and ask them what law enforcement remedy is warranted.  If people were to gain illegal access to your apt and dump drugs in your closet for safekeeping, you better believe the police will take action.  This is obviously not that extreme, but it begs the question - what is the threshold when they WILL take action on people using your property for their own purposes?

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member

Offline normelrod

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
You could call the towing company, but claim the car as your own. Say it's broken down and in need of a tow.

Offline danielvargas419

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »
hi my name is Daniel Vargas im with the ALL Boro Management Inc. Parking Solutions we have contracts with a towing company called ALL ABOUT AUTOMOTIVE 2 WHAT you need to do is put up warning signs that say any illegally parked cars will be towed and patrolled by all boro management. give me a call 1718 772 6359....all boro            towing company 1718388 2219.....ALL ABOUT AUTOMOTIVE 2....CONTRACTS WILL BE PRESENTED